Bighorns or Absaroka mtns for elk

muleymaddness

Very Active Member
I've got one under max points, so I'll never get a late season tag I don't think. With that said, which do you like better of the two above for overall trophy quality and experience. Yes non-resident and yes guided. I have a guide in mind for the Absaroka area, but not the Bighorns. But I'm open to any suggestions.. Thanks for your help!

I've hunted both several times , in my opinion noplace offers a better wilderness experience than packing in around the Cody area. for WY the quality of elk is hard to beat in that area as well.

The problem I see for you is without having max points to get a late tag your options are limited, 61- 62-63/64 might be your best options for the west side of the basin. I've only hunted the late hunts I've never hunted those, they may or may not be a better choice regular season hunt than the Bighorns.

I guess it depends on what you want from your hunt. what I would consider is a DIY in 45, or hire an outfitter for better results. use your points , then when you're ready go on general season pack in hunt in the Washakie or Thorofare for the experience more than the score .

You're in a tough spot missing that 1 point, but I don't have to tell you that do I.

Stay thirsty my friends

Yeah I know it - stinks having 1 less than max for sure.

Unless something comes up I'm not aware of - I'm going to stick to the Cody area. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing the boat by not looking at the Bighorns. It'll be my first elk hunt as I've always hunted mule deer, and I think the elk hunt in the Cody area will be very traditional and a very good experience.

As much as I like the Cody area I wouldn't give up on the Bighorn units without looking hard at them.

The Bighorn outfitter I knew sold out and I don't know about the new owners. check out Todd Jones,Paintrock Adventures. I've heard nothing but good about him and he takes some nice bulls. maybe better than most from the Cody are regular seasons.

Stay thirsty my friends

With the absaroka mnts when you get a guide you can get a better hunt of packing in with horses and have a grand ol time. ITs more rugged country and way more pretty to see. Quality of bulls is better than the bighorns. Also more wildlife to see.

Give Colby Gines a call with wilderness adventures. You would be about 3 miles away from the Therofare. Just last week they put down a 399 bull.

I don't know about the Bighorns mnt outfitters on how they run camps. I know I see a lot of them road hunting so I don't know how man actually pack in.

There aren't many areas in the Bighorns worth the effort to pack in , they take some quality bulls nevertheless.

I agree with you on the scenic quality of Absoroka , but I wouldn't blow a pile of points on an area 60 tag you can draw every year is what I'm thinking. burn your points then go in the general hunts.

That's what I'm doing.

Stay thirsty my friends

Colby is 1st rate, also in area 61 or 62, Bob Sundeen, Trails West has good to great success. Just ask Predator.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom