Bighorn Rut Question

ridgetops

Very Active Member
After the rut, do the older rams go into seclusion for a couple weeks to lick their wounds or will they just hang out with the herd for the winter at that point?

Older rams will probably hang out by themselves away from the others. You might find a group of older rams it's hard to say. It's hard to be an expert at something you never get a chance to hunt but I've seen big ones together.

I am certainly no expert on this, but I did watch the rams in a local herd for a few winters.
Any rutting activity with any animal takes lots of energy and fat reserves, often leading into the worst weather of the year. They need some time to forage and get healthy again, so I am sure they do what they can to eat before the grass is totally covered with snow.
I have also been told that sheep from one herd often rut at much earlier or later times than another herd that is not that far away. So when the rut ends, is sometimes hard to tell.
At any rate, the local sheep I watched hung with the ewes until it appeared that they were all bread and then they seemed to join their buddies again in a ram band. We watched 5 rams in a band for most of the winter. Sometimes we would again see them around ewes, but it was obvious there was no rutting going on.
I also imagine that it depends on how much territory they are covering. These sheep (ewes and rams) seem to hang out in pretty much the same wintering area.

Thanks. I have another question. Does a dominate ram have a territory of his own? Meaning that he will stay in a general area and the ewes will come to him to be bred. If this area is a traditional rutting area. You would think the local Biologist could answer these questions but he refuses to do so. He says it would be against fair chase rules. Good grief!

My experiece is...rams move to the bands of ewes during the rut. If a ewe is ready he will stay if not then on to the next band of ewes.
After the rut they go off by themselves or with other rams.

I am hooking up with a Rocky Ram tag holder this week on his hunt up by Flaming Gorge on the Utah side and maybe fill my mzzy cow elk tag too.

Over the years of this November Ram hunting----two different units----seperated by the Flaming Gorge, I have noticed many groups of ewe's with just younger Rams hanging with them.

Bachelor Groups of mid-age Rams hanging together and then 1-2 mature Rams isolated hangin' together.

My best input is that the mature Rams simply come in and breed the ewes when they are in cycle and then go hang out again waiting for the next ewe.

I have never witness a 'Rut Craze' in sheep as one would with Elk or Antelope.

Robb

>Thanks. I have another question. Does
>a dominate ram have a
>territory of his own? Meaning
>that he will stay in
>a general area and the
>ewes will come to him
>to be bred. If this
>area is a traditional rutting
>area. You would think
>the local Biologist could answer
>these questions but he refuses
>to do so. He says
>it would be against fair
>chase rules. Good grief!

It's a biologists frickin job to tell us about the wildlife. WE PAY THEIR F*CKIN SALARY!!! Get that idiots name and pay his or her supervisor a visit and publish it in the local paper.

It's usually a waste of time to bother with these idiots and game wardens included. They don't know jack and I've actually witnessed a biologist trying to tell hunters they shot a mule deer when it was obviuosly a whitetail. That is why the counts are so wrong is because I think they count sheep and cows and can't tell one species from another. We had a game warden give us completely wrong information on a sheep area because he didn't know any better. Amazing!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-01-10 AT 08:21AM (MST)[p]I've spent a fair amount of time photographing sheep during and after the rut. It seems to me bigger rams come into the herds just prior to the rut and remain with them during the rut and e into early winter. As winter progresses, they seem to get a buddy or two and move off by themselves. Then again the next fall, when the urge gets to them, they head for the ladies once again.

Here are a few sheep photos I have taken in the past few years.

Have a good one. BB

30351_ram.jpg

67482_rams.jpg

4626ram_desktop__3.jpg

4203s8.jpg

7683s13.jpg

385s22.jpg

474s33.jpg

6264s26.jpg

8302s31.jpg

4882s28.jpg

1742s17.jpg

3936s30.jpg

1956s25.jpg

4040ram_desktop__2.jpg

And usually by Feb. or so I see the rams either by themselves or in a small band or 2 or 3 rams.

5197s27.jpg

Billy, You are the Photo Man!
Ridgetops,
Are you still looking or is that tag punched?
Isn't it getting down to the wire?

>Billy, You are the Photo Man!
>
>Ridgetops,
>Are you still looking or is
>that tag punched?
>Isn't it getting down to the
>wire?

The hunt started Oct. 30th. I saw a great ram about two weeks ago but nobody has seem him since.

My bad! I forgot Rocky hunts go all month!
I am sure if you keep after him, you will find him again! Good luck and let us know when it happens. (It will happen!)
If you get in a panic and need help holler. I love to spot for sheep.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom