big glass options

MuddyBoots

Alright, I'm getting ready to take the leap into higher magnification binos. I already have the 10x Euros which I love and a 20-60 ED spotter. Before anyone says the S-word, I need to know what are some other options that are more affordable. So far the ones I'm looking at are the Vortex 15x Vipers, 15x Minox, and Zeiss 15x Conquest. I'm leaning heavily towards Vortex but was wondering if there is anything else I'm missing and peoples experiences with any of the forementioned. And yes as much as I would love a pair of Duovids or 15x56 Swaros they are out of reach. I can't stand looking through the spotter for more than a few minutes without my eyelids spazing out from holding one eye shut. Thanks for any input!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-02-08 AT 08:19PM (MST)[p]muddyboots it seems that we are at about the same trail crossing. I have some steiner 10x42 that I have used alot in the last 2 years and have no complaints about but I am looking at the Vortex bino's that have the slip on doubler. If that is quality enough the 20 power option for the very little else to cary my be a great option for the long haul's

Time in the hills is always worth more than money

LAST EDITED ON Mar-02-08 AT 08:41PM (MST)[p]One other question would be the difference between the 12x50 Razors and the 15x51 Vipers. I am at the same point as both of you. I do like my Vortex scope, but would like another alternative. I used my Brunton 11x45's this year as my tripod mounted binos and my 8x32 Swarovskis on a bino harness. I would like to know about the BIG Vortex binos and some of the other less expensive (Under $1,000) big glass as well.

Another consideration would be the Docter 15x. You might find the smaller objective on the Conquest a liability.

I've had the Minox and thought the resolution was comparable to the Docters. I did not like the diopter adjustment that could be easily moved while focusing, and the squarish edges of the eyecups that pressed against my brow.

When using the spotter, try a black eye patch over the off-eye to eliminate the need to squint.

Doug~RR

LAST EDITED ON Mar-04-08 AT 03:05AM (MST)[p]I bought the Minox 15-58's before last hunting season and really like them. My son has the Swaro 15's and they are great, the best I've seen, but the Minox are close. I've read on differant forums that the Minox are 95 to 98% of the big Swarovskis and I think thats about right. You can pick up Demos from Doug for around $750. If you buy used you what the new style with ED glass, there's a huge differance between the two.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-08 AT 07:00PM (MST)[p]Muddyboots,I have the 15x minox,great glass for the money. PS use a eye patch(available at wal-mart etc $2.50) when using a spotting scope for longer periods of time.also a dark cloth over your head stops the glair too.~Danny sorry Doug didn,t notice your eyepatch post MY Bad.

Well I've got to put my hands on and eyes through a number of binos lately. Here's what I've found so far and tell me if I'm crazy:

The Vortex Vipers seem to be a good middle of the road for everything I'm looking for. Fairly light and compact with decent objective, least expensive, best warranty. I was not totally thrilled with the feel of the eyecups on the Vipers and even less so on the Razors. They remind me of the Monarchs I used to have with a rather loose twist-up eyecup. During the middle of the day (I know, not the best time)they held their own against SLC's.

I was pleasantly surprised with the Minox as I have never looked through a pair before. Picture was clear, bright, and effortless viewing. Like everyone has mentioned though, the eyecups felt "big" and flat. They are honking huge and heavy compared to the other two I am considering. I know Minox is a German company but are their optics/binoculars German made?

The Zeiss Conquest were pretty cool. Very light and fit the hands best. Who cares about hand feel though when your going to need a tripod to hold them for you. Glass was what you would expect from the biggest name of the three. I could easily tell though the smaller objective would handicap me in low light situations. I was surprised to see they were made in Hungary, not Germany.

I've found that prices are all within a couple hundred of each other from the best deals I've found. I appreciate everyones input and would welcome any more you might have. Thanks!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom