Best way to start?

justr_86

Long Time Member
My mom after 13 years of applying drew the bookcliffs early rifle elk tag. She is very excited and very nervous about being able to shoot an elk. She has always been supportive of us hunting and goes with us from time to time but never carried a gun. She is a good shot with a shotgun.

I took her out last night to let her start shooting a scoped rifle. I took my 22 mag so there was no recoil, just starting to get comfortable. She did great! Good groups and very good control over the gun and comfortable doing everything.

My question is what else can I do to help her get ready for this fall besides what we did last night. When should she start shooting the rifle she will be hunting with. She will be using my dads 3006 BAR for less recoil. I don't want her to start shooting it too early and develop a flinch but I want her to be confident with it. Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

You find out who your friends are when you see who shows up to help pack your bull out!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

LAST EDITED ON May-04-10 AT 04:05PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-04-10 AT 04:04?PM (MST)

Step up to a 22 250 if you have one. A lota pop but no kick. They think their shooting a big gun in their head.
Then with my kids I would use my lead sled and let them shoot the big guns (wooh) 30 06 and 7mm ect. When they shoot in the sled they think thats no big deal. When my daughter shot the 7 mm in the field and got her first deer. I asked did it kick ,she thought for a second and said no what do you mean ?
She is little 5' 4' 100 pounds . She was 14 years old.
Start them out slow and don't create a problem. Have fun !
That is way cool she got a tag ! It will be a awsome time for your family !

One thing I did with my 11 yearold son and my wife was get a gel pad for their shoulder so there was less felt recoil. That works great to keep them from becoming affraid of the recoil. they went from shooting 22 to a 308 rifle with out any problems. I feel they will flinch a little no mater what you do when you move them up to a larger caliber, so I feel the sooner you do the soon they get accustom to it. IMO the more you can get her out to shoot the better off she will be.

One other thing to try is managed recoil loads, they also helped my son.

You should always start a woman out with a 460 Weatherby Mag,You can always work your way down!}>}>}>}>}>

I would say let me get some more trigger time with the 22mag. Then move her up to say something like 243 for a few sessions. Then the 30-06. I have found that when you take a beginner shooting it really helps not to make a big deal about recoil. If you dont concentrate on it or make a deal about it, most likely they won't even worry about it. Just teach her proper trigger pull and target focus. Im sure she will do fine and good luck on the hunt.

I started my wife out with a 50. cal muzzle loader 150 grains of powder and a 220 grain sabot. It has a thumb hole for right handed shooters and she is left handed. She shot it as best she could and it jumped up and popped her in the lip. It bled a little, but I kissed it better (her first kiss, I know I am so romantic). Then a few months later I took her out to shoot the .22 single shot. I know she loves guns because she asked me just the other day when she could shoot my muzzle loader again. I am thinking this is like a home made Rocky movie. Who will win round two?

I don't think it is bad to go from a .22 to a .243 to a 30-06.

Good Luck

Dillon

I have a 22-250 that will work out great to step up with. We will go with the 22 mag a few more times then try the 22-250 and then let her shoot the 30 06. She called me today and asked if I bought more bullets for her to practice with yet. Its great, She is very excited.

oh btw my dads gun already has a nice kick pad on it because the gun is too short for him without it.

You find out who your friends are when you see who shows up to help pack your bull out!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom