Best way to quick judge Antelope

• Thread starter mywifeishotterthentiffany
  • Start date
M

mywifeishotterthentiffany

I will be looking for a good goat on opening day. I know to look for tall tines, big base and good fronts but what forks best to judge them quickly. Any tricks or advice. Thanks

"Let's keep things in perspective.I mean for Peet's sake there are kids in Africa that don't even hunt....hello" Jimmy Big Time

If the horn Length is 17"+ & scores 80"+ go ahead & Shoot!

Or just enjoy the Hunt & forget about 'Inches'!
This Score/Inch sshit is gettin old!

I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

Being a contractor I am pretty good at reading a tape measure but I don't think I can get him to hold still while I measure 17 inches. Now if you are not tired of the is score/measure chit what is the best way to field judge a running antelope.

"Let's keep things in perspective.I mean for Peet's sake there are kids in Africa that don't even hunt....hello" Jimmy Big Time

I used to have a hard time judging antelope too. I bought a video from "Pronghorn Guide Service" that is strictly on how to field judge antelope it has really helped me alot there are a ton of things to look for but the main thing "quickest" way for me is to make sure the prong is above the ear better yet even a good 3 inches above the ear. Before I get to serious on setting the spotter up and really looking him over good. He has got to be at least to his ears, Then you can do a ton of other things if you can get front and side views of him. I have really gotten hooked on the pronghorn hunting its alot funner trying to hunt down a true monster rather than just dumping some random buck that looks okay. It always seems like you will see a buck that has one great characteristic but finding one with it all can be tough. Good luck

That sounds like good advice. Thanks

Mass is much more important than length on goats, a 14" goat with great mass will eaasily outscore a 17" goat with no mass. Look for Prongs above the ears, long prongs, and hopefully the same length above the prongs as below.

Another thing most people overlook, look at the size of the body/head on the antelope. You can look at one that looks nice until you see his body is as small as the does around him. Just like other species, old goats will have big heads and bodies. If you find a large goat with a juggernaut head with the horn requirements you are looking for you will have found a monster.

Big D hit on a good one. We ran into one a while back that ressembled a cartoon charactor. Darn horns just didn;t fit with the rest of the body and looked way over sized making his head look real small when in fact it was a hog. Now everytime I see a goat I compare the rest of the body with the horns.

I have hunted antelope a lot in wyoming...thats where I grew up so I know a little about it. Rule of thumb - the ears on a good buck are about 7 inches long. So figure that for estimating horn length. Horn length is measured from the base along the outside of the horn to the tip...so a buck with deep hooks on the end may decieve you and will likely be longer than you think. You also get 4 mass measurements so a "big" buck can be as short as 13 inches if it has good mass. Overall, I would look for a 14 inch buck with good mass. it will make a nice trophy.

Best way to judge an Antelope for size.

BASE WIDTH TWICE THE EYE WIDTH....PRONG ABOVE THE EAR....PRONG LENGTH OF EAR.....HORN 2x EAR LENGTH: SHOOT THE BEAST.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Great example out in the antelope forum:

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID8/4302.html

I know my hyperlink won't work so just go there and check out redrabbit's post.

Average length for a big goat, but great mass and prongs, huge body and head. The goats horns don't look as long due to the mass and head size, but I bet it is right around 15" and probably scores around 84.

(Goats are very tough to score and 20 different people could come up with 20 different scores, that's just my guesstimate.)

Thanks guy's for more great info!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom