Best waterproof clothing spray?

txhunter58

Long Time Member
What would you use to treat the outside of goretex garments to keep the "fleecy" exterior from absorbing rain?

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON Mar-16-14 AT 05:04PM (MST)[p]
I've never seen fleece on the outside of rain gear but for my outer layer DWR I used Granger. There is also Nikwax, both available from REI.

Hardcoreoutdoor is up on all that stuff.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-16-14 AT 05:45PM (MST)[p]>LAST EDITED ON Mar-16-14
>AT 05:04?PM (MST)

>
>
>I've never seen fleece on the
>outside of rain gear but
>for my outer layer DWR
>I used Granger. There is
>also Nikwax, both available from
>REI.
>
>Hardcoreoutdoor is up on all that
>stuff.

It is not really a "fleece", but I have some Cabelas MT050 packable rainware that is great except that the exterior quiet surface retains water and makes you cold and heavier

Also, do I really want a "wash-in" vs a spray on? The wash-in of course treats all surfaces. Do I really want it on the inside of the garment? Wouldn't that affect the ability of the inside fabric to wick moisture away from my body?

thanks

txhunter58

Yeh I know the gear....I had the same issue with that fabric. I never get wet on the inside layer but that outside layer does retain the moisture. I just deal with it and we have several changes of cloths. You might want to give the cloths/garment fabric Scotch Guard a shot. Do not use the furniture fabric a Scotch Guard on cloths. Yeh it works but it does give off a serious odor when applied. I hang garments on hangers then apply the Spray and let it air out outside or in the garage for about a week. Works well on non water proof gear and cloths...and no I don't spray that stuff anywhere near my archery gear.....the odor does dissipate with time...works great on kids jackets to make them water resistant.

Good luck,

))))------->

Where I bow hunt so much, I went away from those spray on water proofing options.

I do not think it is of any negative value to use the wash-in stuff tx----??

Robb

Nikwax was the best I used. Wash your MT050 in their Tech Wash, the spray the begeebers out of it with the water proofing and hang it up to dry. Let it air out for about a week on an outside clothes line. I finally gave up on my 10 year old Cabela's rain gear and got a First Lite top with Helly Hansen Impertech bibs. Both pieces are waterproof. A little noisy, but light and waterproof.

ReviveX treatment. It's what Simms uses to restore their waders. I love it, use it on my tent fly and floor, waterproof pants and coat, and even my ice fishing shanty. It's reasonably priced, and has virtually NO smell.

FYI: On the recommedation of some, I obtained Camp Dry fabric protector at Walley world in the shoe dept (go figure). It is the blue cap/non-silicone spray. Applied two applications last night, virtually no odor when dried. Will see how it works
thanks

txhunter58

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom