Best value for 12x binocular

Servehim

Very Active Member
Reaching out to the MM faithful. My brother is a penny pincher ....he wants to upgrade his binoculars this year. He wants a 12x50 ish bino that not going to break the bank . He found Vortex stuff but I've encouraged him to not buy their lower grade glass. Asked him to explore Mavon as I've heard they are a good bang for the buck. Want to take care of my big brother, any wisdom from those smarter than I am on good binoculars would be greatly appreciated.

I bought the Vortex HD 12x50 (about $800) a few years ago. The stupid rubber cushions on the eye cups kept getting messed up until I finally got angry and tore the dang things off. The glass itself was okay, but extremely unsatisfied with the design of the Fisher Price eye cups. What a waste of glass. Now I want Swarovski. Wish I would have done it right the first time.

If he is going to be using them quite a bit I recommend biting the bullet and buying something nice. If he has one or two hunts that he wants them for I would tell him to rent the best out there. A few places out there that do that.
You can rent them for a fraction of the cost and get to use the best.

Some great deals on swaro 12x42’s out there right now. I can promise you, due to resale value, the cost of ownership on a pair will be less then any other option you listed. Get some vortex or mavens for $1500 or so and they’ll be worth $800 in a few months. Buy some NL’s for $3k and they’ll be worth $2800 in a decade.

I bought a pair of Leupold Santium 15x56 a few years back. I don’t even use them because I can see better with my Swarovski 10x42 EL even though they have less magnification. Take it for what it’s worth, but I won’t buy lesser glass again

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom