Best Used ATV

fuzzyvelvet

I am considering buying a used ATV in the 2000-2005 range, 4x4 of course, I don't think I need more than a 500. What are your thoughts? What is the best hunting machine out there within these specs?

Fuzzy

Hard to say specifically because allot of them could work just fine but I am a huge fan of the independant rear suspention that most companies are going to. Yesterday I was on a ride with my Dad and brother and we had a 2002 Yamaha Big Bear 400 and then a 2007 CanAm 400. They are both 4x4 and the Big Bear works fine but man it is a rough ride with that straight axel. The CanAm is a night and day difference in smoothness with its independant suspention. It rides very well. Just my two cents... But after a long ride I know which one I would choose!.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-16-09 AT 01:53PM (MST)[p]Just borrow one from the neighbor and bring it back power washed and fueled up:) Only out 20 bucks in gas and a few quarters!!

Hondas are tough as nails.....Polaris is too....I've used both and have friends with both, I don't think you can go wrong with either one...and I agree about the straight axle.....stay away from that.

If you plan on elk hunting with one and are alone then you should think about a grizzly, they have power steering. I bought a kawasaki prairie 650 and it was great till I put an elk that was quartered on both racks. The drive wore me out worse than the packout. But you'd be looking at a newer grizzly than 05. To me its worth the extra money and they have the independent rears.

My 97 Honda Foreman 400 has done everything I have asked it to do. I also have a 02 Honda 450 and a 05 Suzuki King Quad 700. My favorite and safest to ride is still the 97. If I found a late 90's Foreman 400 in mint condition I would sell the King Quad. The one thing that helps on the ride of ATV's are radial tires. That will make up for the solid rear axle.

1st - Get as big as you can afford. Accessories can be added later but it is hard to get a 300-400cc and then realize that once you realize how useful they are that you should have bought a larger one.

2nd - Opinions will vary greatly. I have a 1992 Kawasaki 300cc 4x4 and the first onwner beat the snot out of it body wise but the engine and trany are good to go. CanAm which I think are the same as Artic Cat are expensive to get parts for. My experience would be Honda, Yamaha or Kawasaki. I know they quit making them some years ago but I sure like a backup to the electric start. Honda once had a kick start as a backupi and my Kawasaki has a pull start which I am not fond of.

Good luck with the search

I suppose there are always advantages to the bigger, better machines, but I'm pleased as punch with my 95 Honda fourtrax. 300 cc seems big enough for my needs. Easy starting, plenty of power, and the old kick start if the battery goes bad... A little rough on the ride at times, but its and ATV for crying out loud! lol

Just something to think about. When you're getting up to and over a 500CC engine they do use a lot more fuel. I have the Grizzly 600 and compared to anything at 400cc and below the fuel use is way higher. I have friends that own Rino?s. One guy has the 660 cc the other has the 450cc. Both appear to have the same power on the lower end and although the 450cc does not go as fast on the top end it still went anywhere with no trouble that the 660cc did. However when fueling back up I was stunned at the difference in fuel usage.

GBA

If yer using them at higher altitudes, bigger is better. I had a 600 that I was using at 9000 - 10k'. It worked great. I also brought a friends Honda 400 for my brother. The thing was work horse when I've used it in the past. I rode it some during the trip and it really powered out in the thin air on the steep climbs.

Thanks for all the input guys. Has anyone else experienced what Triple_BB said about loosing power at higher altitudes? Keep the suggestions coming. Any other brands to go or not to go with?

Fuzzy

My guess would be that the 600cc probably was EFI and the 400 was carburated. With altitudes that high the jetting would be wrong. With EFI it woudn't matter.

_/|,[___]
|--_--o||||o
()_) ()_)---)_)

Tom
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Everyone will have their own bias as to which one is the "best", but I think most everyone will agree that Honda's are the most reliable, longest lasting. I know if I was buying one, especially a used one I'd be looking for a Honda.

I just bought a used 2005 Kawasaki 360 and have been very pleased. I hauled out 2 elk with it the first weekend at 9000 feet elevation and I didn't have any problems. It has plenty of power for what I need. No it's not going to be the first one to the finish line but it'll use half the fuel getting there.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-19-09 AT 02:48PM (MST)[p]I would look at an 2002-2004 Kawasaki Prairie in either 650 or 700. Mine is selectable 4X4 with a diff lock, high and low range, accessory power outlet, liquid cooled, shaft drive and auto trans. This is similar to mine:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=8207206&cat=&lpid=

To me it seems that with an auto trans sucks more power than a manual requiring more cc's for the same feel. Just a thought.

I have a 94' Honda 300 fourtrax 4x4 and a 05' Honda Rancher 350 4x4 and both are real good machines. Unless you will be packing another person alot you really don't need a "big" machine (>500cc).

LAST EDITED ON Oct-19-09 AT 09:52PM (MST)[p]First off, Can Am and Arctic Cat are NOT the same.

Second, the 400 that struggled at elevation was not jetted for the elevation. If jetted right it would have done just fine.

My experience with ATV's includes over 5 years of renting out 20 ATV's and putting over 4500 miles in a summer on them. I buy new machines every year. For the last 4 years the only 4x4 machine I run is the Can Am (Bombardier) Outlander Max 400. I rarely have a warranty issue and they hold their value very well. They are capable of taking two people, have a high and low range and should be able to handle anything you intend to do hunting. They are an excellent machine. I also run yamaha grizzly 350's as my 2wd machines. Also an excellent machine. I imagine their bigger bore machines would be excellent as well, but have no experience with them. I do have experience with Polaris and am not a huge fan. I have had good luck with their Rangers, but not so good luck with their sportsman 500's. I had a ton of warranty issues with them.

Lastly I rent my machines at 8000 - 11,000 ft. They are jetted for that elevation and run great. Even the 350's will easily take a very large man anywhere he wants to go.

The reason I run the machines I do is because of reliability. If I have a machine that goes down and has to be in the shop then it costs me lost revenue by not being able to rent it. I run what I do because the are dependable, capable, and easy to ride.

Good luck.

BTW, I have both machines for sale right now. PM me if interested. :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom