Best Unit for Deer Archery

muleyman

Very Active Member
So what do you guys think is the best unit (that you have hunted) for deer??? Me, Snake River unit. We see LOTS of big bucks, but rarely connect during archery. I have killed some decent deer in other units, but the Snake seems to have the best population when you get 15-20 miles out of the crowd...

muleyman

deer? i thought they were extinct [sp??]in oregon??

i would try the starky exp. forest, for some reason the deer are always doing good there.........

j/k.:) what about ft. rock? if you know where to go ( which i dont,but i know some guys who do) there seems to be some good deer hunting to be had.

Definately not the E. Whitehorse or Owyhee units!

I bet the Steens start coming around with the new proposed draw for archery.

Switching the Steens archery to a draw is not going to bring the herd back or improve the age class. Anyone who thinks changing the achery season to a draw will improve habitat and decrease predation, also believes that you can pick a "turd" up by the clean end...

Troutcrk
"Livin the Dream"

Troutcrk,

Funny SH#$,

On a serious note though, I hunted the archery last year and saw boat loads of hunters. Guys were everywhere, Now take that number of potential arrow slingers and cut it into a quarter of hunters. The harvest numbers will drop off, or at least they should, the amount of pressure will fall off the chart and that alone helps the health of the deer. Ya predators and habitat are always an issue. The summer habitat is not the problem. It's the winter ground that limits deer numbers to some extent. Predators, we all know about what needs to been done there. Let's talk about limiting the tags, shorten the season or how about implementing a 4 point or better. I also like the idea of 2 point only for 4 days and then any buck for the remainder of the season. Get the deer fired up before you can put the hammer to em./

>Any buck isn't workin in oregon
>either.

maybe if everybody stated spending the gas money to hunt the big kats it would start to get better, we have here in S oregon......

Exactly, if people want deer to hunt they need to put the time in to kill a cat. Just taking a few extra cats a year out of some of these areas has to help. The problem in the Steens is cats, just go into the fields store sometime and look at all the cats that the locals kill down there. SE Oregon has a serious cat problem.

As far as best unit I've hunted for deer, Fort Rock back in the early to mid 90's. After that it went to #####. Now, every where seems to suck.

if your waiting for the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. to do it, forget it, I know of a guy here in Medford got hired by them as a state trapper after a year of waiting around, they never called him up for duty.

I live in Washington state and I believe two years after the ban in Oregon was passed, Washington passed the same ban. I believe it was 1996.

What I can't figure out is why you here of so much more cat problems in Oregon than you do in Washington. I know you here that Oregon has more cat problems in there high desert units, and Washington doesn't have as much high desert as Oregon. But the High desert that Washington does have gets pounded with guys coyote hunting. And those guys kill a few bobcats and cougers every year.

Do guys just not go out predator hunting in Orgeon? We both have the same basic laws but Oregon seems to be suffering more. Why is that?

soup

to answer your Q, our neighbor Calif. hasn't hunted Mt. Lions in 30 to 40 years, they've stretched their territory

yah or a bounty, in this economy alot of hunters would get off their butts quick, maybe even if the fur trade came back...?

Back
Top Bottom