best State to be resident for all around hunting

m_freeman

I will be moving and resident draw and OTC Elk, Deer and antelope tags will be a big consideration on my choice to where I move. My business is internet based so I can chose which State excluding AK that is just too much winter for me. I am considering. Right now considering CO, WYO, MT or ID

excluding AK that is
>just too much winter for
>me.

It isn't all that bad. It has a few cons, but the pros outweigh them. Also as a resident you aren't required to have a guide for anything up there. I sometimes miss it, but New Mexico is starting to grow on me.
WVBOWAK

If Alaska is too much winter for you Wyoming isn't a good choice. Its winter here about 9 months on a good year

If you really want a place to move for resident hunting, go to BC Canada where you can hunt mule deer, whitetail, elk, moose, goats, and three species of sheep. You could even live in the mild weather in Vancouver. Now that would be worth moving for! It's too bad I am so old or I would try it myself LOL

I plan to reside the better months to meet State minimum requirements then have the other man cave located in warmer climates.

I doubt our friends to the North would give me citizenship so I would need a guide on all hunts at least I think that is how it would work. I have no problem with BC for sure Oganogan valley would be nice!

>If you really want a place
>to move for resident hunting,
>go to BC Canada where
>you can hunt mule deer,
>whitetail, elk, moose, goats, and
>three species of sheep.
>You could even live in
>the mild weather in Vancouver.
> Now that would be
>worth moving for! It's too
>bad I am so old
>or I would try it
>myself LOL
after looking at that list I will indeed look into this

Depends on what you're looking for...I've lived in Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, and Utah. I you primarily want to have great elk hunting every year then Wyoming is awesome. If you really like deer, Montana has a statewide 5 weeks season with plenty of whitetail and mule deer to go around. For a resident, antelope is a wash between Montana and Wyoming, but Wyoming does appear to have just a touch better trophy quality. Montana gets the nod over Wyoming for upland game, but its a wash with waterfowl, same for bear, but Montana does have a better bear density than Wyoming. The fishing is superb in Montana. Its a coin toss.

Thought about Alaska at one time, but, nine months of winter and three months of mosquitos - guess I'll just stick with Idaho.

Well if winter is something that can detour you then Wyoming is off the list.
Ive always thought Colorado would be hard to beat

If your really into resident big game hunting that much, and don't care about anything else, then Wyoming would be OK I guess, There are better places to spend the other 9 months though.

I generally spend a few weeks every year in them all either working, hunting, or fishing, and hands down Montana offers the best package deal. Wyoming has some good hunting and fishing, but I like the towns and overall "feel" of Montana. If you go Wyoming stick to the northern Montana border towns. Probably the nicest people in the west too.

I used to think of Idaho Falls as my top choice. After having spent more time in Great Falls, MT, I would have to name that as number one. Excellent waterfowl, ok upland, good mulies, whities not far away, elk, and antelope. Killing a spring bear every year is a relistic possibility. And you are right on the Missouri for fly fishing. Its a sweet spot. The winter can suck but its not as bad as a lot of other places.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom