best spot for wolves?

smitty

Very Active Member
Got a couple wolf tags, planning on doing several trips once the snow flies and filling these tags. Just asking where may be the best places to go?

I've been around Salmon and Challis abit, bear hunted there a couple years ago. Thought I'd try there for a few days. Got a buddy with a mule deer super tag, we'll be up around glenns ferry and that area as well. Any other suggestions?

I'm dead serious about killing 2 wolves this year, the deer and elk need our help. Let me know where I should go. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Good luck hope you find the two you need to fill your tags.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I actually hope you shoot a bit "too far back" on the first couple dozen......you'd get to keep shooting. Maybe take home about 25th & 26th; you know, by shooting another 10 inches forward and dropping them right off.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

OK seriously though, we all want to kill some wolves, everybodys passionate about them. Love 'em or hate 'em. I live in smithfield, utah, maybe 15 minutes from the idaho border. I am going to be filling my 2 tags, I'm hoping that when you guys do see some, you will give me a heads up on where they are.

If some guys want to team up and do a few trips up with me, split costs of gas and hotels etc....That would be great too.

Again, thanks for the input. Keep me posted.

Look at the IDFG website under wolf update, it will be pretty clear where the wolves are being harvested right now.

Island Park, Elk City, and the Panhandle zones have high wolf kills. Salmon/challis will heat up when the snow flies.

The gut shooting wolf talk is a bit over the top! Hate them as you will, but they are a resource that has some inherent value. A nicely cleaned up skull and wolf pelt/rug/mount are fine trophies! For the price of a tag, don't let them go to waste. A nice prime wolf pelt will fetch $300-500, only a moron would purposely wound a wolf to save an $11.50 tag. And if you honestly think you will get the shot opportunity on more than two wolves this year, please call me and let me know where your hot spot is. I'd love to tag along, shoot, and TAG a wolf.

Steve,

I'll split gas with you. Pick me up on the way (I live in Weston), and lets go up north of Dubois or over to the Island park area. I'll PM you my phone number.

Ivan

Another thing to consider is the Wolf lovers; who as we speak are trying to stop these hunts, love to see comments about us gut shooting or wounding wolves so they can use it against us. They might argue that for everyone wolf legally harvested 3 are shot and left for dead, and that the wolf managers need to re-evaluate their calculations on harvests. They are extremely motivated people when in comes to saving their precious wolf. LEts not give them any more ammo against us.

We all should have a tag in our pocket and a rifle in our trucks EVERY time we go into the mountains, we owe it to the deer and elk we love to never miss an opportunity.

Ivan, I live in preston and have a few spots up my sleeve for a bit laer in the season. we should get together and possibly plan something if you are interested.

Cole

Thanks Ivan and Yoyak for your sane comments. A prime wolf pelt or full mount is a heck of a cool trophy. I don't consider myself strongly anti wolf, though I've been in on the kill of one in AK and will be carrying a tag and will try hard to fill it in the Middle Fork here in a few weeks. This angry, crazy talk does us no good. Let's get out there and hunt and trap hard, in a legal and ethical way, and prove that we can control their numbers. It won't be easy, especially as they wise up, but it is possible, especially with trapping. I've often thought that the wild-eyed anti-wolf folks should put their energies into something productive that will actually help. For instance, why not fund raise to create a pot of money to support a kind of private bounty system, especially for the trappers? Serious trapping takes money, in time and fuel, and something like that would help trappers defray their costs so they could step up their efforts.

I was surprised when I saw the kill figures to date, which suggest we're on the road to getting it done. It would be nice to see some pictures.

Looking at the IDFG website there haven't been any down South harvested yet. Anybody know where us boys in the South could find some? I haven't heard of any around here this year.

heard of some being seen durring the archery season out in diamond creek and up near caribou mountain. those are the closest wolves in southeast that i know of.

According to the local ranchers, reports are coming in of a pack of 4 wolves running deer between Goodenough and Indian creek. One wolf is black the others are grey.

>The gut shooting wolf talk is
>a bit over the top!
>Hate them as you will,
>but they are a resource
>that has some inherent value.
>A nicely cleaned up skull
>and wolf pelt/rug/mount are fine
>trophies! For the price of
>a tag, don't let them
>go to waste. A nice
>prime wolf pelt will fetch
>$300-500, only a moron would
>purposely wound a wolf to
>save an $11.50 tag. And
>if you honestly think you
>will get the shot opportunity
>on more than two wolves
>this year, please call me
>your hot spot is. I'd
>love to tag along, shoot,
>and TAG a wolf.

Wolves do have value, as fertilizer...

When elk, deer and moose numbers are back to where they were pre-wolf introduction then I will worry about the value of a wolf as a big game animal. Right now they need to die.

A rancher tip: fs rd #450 island park........

Freedom is not Free!
RIP Lil Bro' "Huntnfever"
2605scott_tribute.jpg

Idaho has no wolf kill quota except in on the WY/MT bordering units and they aren't exactly close to being filled. Island park only has 9 of 30 killed.

Mike

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom