best round?

For hitting targets or killing animals? What type of animals? Are you worried about cost? Do you mind how much work you have to do on your brass?

4ab0771a70bb0d93.jpg

7mm Rem mag has never let me down. I think it is the best, do-all round. Pretty flat shooting, packs a punch, and the ammo isn't "too" expensive.

Jason

My son-in-law was/is a .300 RUM fan (like so many people his age)...until he actually digested the .300 Weatherby ballistics (a miracle gun from "my day") and we spent time at the range; both shooting and using the chronograph.

I'm not attacking the .300 RUM. There are 15 or 20 "perfect" rounds. Pick the one that excites you, work up a good load and practice. Short of those big bears in Alaska, ANYthing from a .270 to a how-much-muzzleblast-do-you-want is the perfect gun.

(ADVICE: while choosing, don't pick one with so much recoil that you won't enjoy shooting from 25 to 150 rounds a day at the range.)

Even after what I believe is a diplomatic post, the 25-06 guys are now unhappy at me....gee a .243 isn't bad, either.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

GB22, so what was the outcome on the 300 Wby? I bought one this year and am looking for a good load. Any insight? The RUM casing scares me a little whenever I open a box and look at them:) I wanted a lightweight powerhouse and bought an Ultra-light 300 wby. It will pack enough punch to whack a sheep, goat or muley out to 500-600 which I am comfortable with.

7MM RM is tough to beat IMO. Lots of long range guys swear by them and/or anything 7MM. 30-378 would be a good one as well.

My buddy loads 168 grain ballistic silvertips. He loads 87.6 grains of RL-22.

I load 84.7 grains of RL-22 with 180 grain Accu-bonds. My avg. velocity is 3428. Both of the loads are "pushing the envelope" and I'd say work up to it but we get great groups, they perform well on game and Dennis even wins some long-range contests (was filmed for ESPN a year ago) with his load.

Wish you well on the search for your perfect load.

(I have another (older gun with very thin-contour barrel) that will ONLY shoot 180 grain factory loads.)

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom