Best OTC Elk Unit

DeerAddiction4

What do you guys think the best otc unit is to hunt in Colorado 2nd or 3rd season. Trying to plan a hunt and am not sure where to go. Looking to go DIY and after hunt I would be willing to share info about the unit.

What do you guys think the best otc unit is to hunt in Colorado 2nd or 3rd season. Trying to plan a hunt and am not sure where to go. Looking to go DIY and after hunt I would be willing to share info about the unit.
You are not going to receive much info to this question and here is why,
If anyone has found a honey hole in a OTC unit or a OTC unit that they feel is better than the rest, They do not want that info to get out and do not want their spot ruined. Most likely they have found the unit or area by lots of hard work, homework and scouting. This often time takes many years.
Your best bet would be to look at the CPW statistics page and narrow your search down to a few units that have good harvest reports . Then start scouting the area to find the animals and least people.
I myself have been in search of a good OTC elk area for almost 25 years. It is not easy and what I have found I have stumbled on by just wondering the woods

That is a broad question.. like others have stated, it’s the unit you know the best and only a fool would state such information over an Internet forum.

You can get useful information from a variety of subscription services like GoHunt, Huntin Fool, Top Rut. Some of these come free with OnX subscription. You might even want to talk with a consultant. There are many other things you might want to consider above and beyond success rates, like road access, wilderness, camping or lodging options etc. Are you looking for a backpack hunt or day hiking? A good elk hunting plan will be successful even if you don’t get one.

You can get useful information from a variety of subscription services like GoHunt, Huntin Fool, Top Rut. Some of these come free with OnX subscription. You might even want to talk with a consultant. There are many other things you might want to consider above and beyond success rates, like road access, wilderness, camping or lodging options etc. Are you looking for a backpack hunt or day hiking? A good elk hunting plan will be successful even if you don’t get one.
I have been doing research on GOHUNT and have OnX and Hunting Fool.

If you can narrow things down to a few units, you might be able to get more help. If nothing else, people will usually tell you what challenges to expect and maybe give you some help via private messages.

I've helped guys several times. If I know them, I will give them a unit and some general information to start with. If I don't know them, I usually ask them to pick an area and I will give information on where I would hunt, based on some things I look for.

DeerAddiction4, are you old enough to drive yourself out here?

Will trade my fav OTC unit for a hunt on what appears to be your private ranch, sagebrush hunts? check out the kids pics.

DeerAddiction4, are you old enough to drive yourself out here?

Will trade my fav OTC unit for a hunt on what appears to be your private ranch, sagebrush hunts? check out the kids pics.
I’m not old enough to drive yet but I will be next year. I’m not interested in trading any hunts. Sagebrush Hunts is the name of our guide service. We offer hunts in Kansas, Texas and New Mexico.

Last edited:
All good, I wasnt being serious about trading hunts.

Just one thing you should keep in mind, most of the dudes on this site grew up when there was no internet. They learned everything they know by going out there and figuring it out on their own. Lots of time, money, effort, failure and try again.

Lots of guys are willing to help out, esp a young guy trying to learn, like yourself. Just come back with something that shows youve put some time, effort and thought into. Youll get more PMs from people willing to help. There is no substitute for doing the work, and we can all sniff out someone looking to skip out on that part.

All good, I wasnt being serious about trading hunts.

Just one thing you should keep in mind, most of the dudes on this site grew up when there was no internet. They learned everything they know by going out there and figuring it out on their own. Lots of time, money, effort, failure and try again.

Lots of guys are willing to help out, esp a young guy trying to learn, like yourself. Just come back with something that shows youve put some time, effort and thought into. Youll get more PMs from people willing to help. There is no substitute for doing the work, and we can all sniff out someone looking to skip out on that part.
Thanks.

I started on this site way back when I 15/16 years old (I’m currently 32) so roughly 16 year years ago now. I definitely made my mistakes in my younger days trying to impress the older crowd on this site. There are some great guys on this site with a lot to contribute to you as a hunter and young person cutting your teeth in western hunting.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom