Best NR state overall

fuzzyvelvet

I am a Colorado resident and am looking to start applying to 1 other state other than Colorado. I am mostly interested in deer, elk, and antelope. Which other state gives me the best opportunities at the best bucks and bulls, for the shortest wait, and for the smallest investment. I know I am asking for a lot but since most states require you buy a hunting lisence to apply I figure I might as well do everything in the same state instead of spreading it all around. Thanks for the input.

Fuzzy

For monster bulls, the two states that currently stand out are Arizona and Utah. However, the wait is years long for the best rifle tags. If you bow hunt and choose units that are good but not the top, with mainly 300-340 bulls, you may be able to get a good tag in either state for 8-10 years of applying. Arizona sucks because you have to buy the $150 fee each year. Utah is nice, if I am not mistaken, because you can just pay the $10 fee to apply each year and build points. Utah is probably the cheapest route for elk, but is by no means the shortest wait.

That being said, don't overlook New Mexico because it is a straight draw and does have some great units, Wyoming has some great units and so does Nevada.

I mainly focus on elk, for deer I hear Arizona and Nevada are probably the best states. Wyoming has some great areas and may be easier to get a tag, not sure on New Mexico muleys...

They are all getting to be very similar. I would put a major consideration on how easy it will be for you to scout it once drawn and the type of country you want to be hunting.
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

LAST EDITED ON Jan-07-11 AT 10:10AM (MST)[p]I have been developing my 5 year NR plan also. I'm buying points in Wyoming for all 3 this year, applying for deer in New Mexico, applying for sheep in MT, getting a point for deer in CO and going elk hunting in CO.

I have written off Nevada, Arizona and Utah at this time because while they all have exceptional animals, the waits can be long and you have to buy the Non Res license, then buy points. If you did all 3 you are spending around $500 a year just to apply and looking at a 10 year or more wait on the good stuff.

If I was you, I'd put in for some good units in New Mexico and start buying points in Wyoming. Its a days drive for you to get anywhere in either state. The nice thing about the Wyoming system is you can just buy points only, so this lets you manage your schedule and you can apply when you think you have about enough to get drawn, keeps you from getting too lucky and drawing overlapping tags in different states in the same year.

NR western hunting is just flat out expensive any way you do it.

I think DoeNob has the perfect plan and I couldn't agree with him more on all three animals you are interested in as far as PPs. You can buy all 3 PPs during the 7/1-9/30 application period in Wyoming for a total of $120 (elk---$50, deer---$40, antelope---#30).

Thanks for the input. I was leaning towards Wyoming and it sounds like thats a good way to go. Any other considerations?

I looking at the fees, I would still say Utah Elk as well. $65 plus $10 per species, if I am not mistaken. I personally build points in Wyoming, will start this year applying to New Mexico and am on the fence for either Arizona or Nevada. I also have a hard time buying the $150 license just to build points.

I used to build points for Colorado elk, but have given up on their system and herd. Good place to go kill an elk, as long as you are not looking for a trophy and it takes way to long to get a tag from one of their few trophy units.

Don't forget New mexico.
No points, means you "could" draw the best tag in the state on your first try. It also means you may never draw, no matter how many times you try.

The $65 non-resident hunting license in Utah is good for 365 days from purchase so with some careful planning you can submit 2 years of applications by buying a single hunting license (i.e. buy license late in the application period in Year 1 as you apply but in Year 2 apply early in the application period.)

Nice strategy, hadn't thought about it, but it would work. Reduces costs to $32.50 a year for the non-resident hunting license.

"RESERVE NEW MEXICO" zone 16A primitive weapons only...both "Archery and Muzz Only" availble draw.

Some quality mule deer and recordbook elk 400+ They have big $$$$$ landowner tags $10K+ in zone 16 or do it yourself National Forest access in 16A hunt. Been a while zone # may be off but the town is right. Must get several hunters to help pack out elk. Steep Steep country where the big elk hang out. Some places horses can not walk. Don't try hunting that country alone...or with just two guys.

Haven't been in that country for 10 years but the quality elk are still there.

Biggest Bull Elk I have ever seen in my life in that country.

Worth a scouting trip if you are a serious hunter.

Good Hunt'n

)))).....>

>The $65 non-resident hunting license in
>Utah is good for 365
>days from purchase so with
>some careful planning you can
>submit 2 years of applications
>by buying a single hunting
>license (i.e. buy license late
>in the application period in
>Year 1 as you apply
>but in Year 2 apply
>early in the application period.)
>

Shhhh, If F&G hears this they might change it.LOL. I do this every year.

In your situation I would Apply and build points in Wyoming and also apply to New Mexico every year on the chance you may draw a quality tag there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom