Best load for Geese

F

Frontier

There was a post not to long ago on favorite shotgun, but I'm wondering what shell works best for geese. I've not hunted geese in years, in fact the last time I did, lead was legal. There seems to be a wide range in prices on factory shells. Are the more expensive loads worth it? Is one manufacturer high density better than another. What shot size works best and etc.
Any in sight would help as I'm going out this weekend.

I think the best load for me is BB shot. Early season I use #2 shot as they are usually alot closer shots. But BB is the best all around IMO.

I find if ya shoot straight and shoot small don't really matter. Under 50 yds. 2s 4s have less holes in the pattern. ts carry further but more holes in pattern. I like bb killed a couple this weekend. What ever Gater says just tickles me pink.
Rutnbuck

We mostly did pass shooting so getting a goose within 50 yards was a bonus. We used to judge distance and would shoot when could see the neck clearly. Have not been goose hunting since 1979 so assume a hunter could use a rangefinder to know distances and learn to judge that by eye eventually. That is how I do turkeys.

I like 10ga. 2 1/4 oz. #2 lead ahead of 58gr. of Alcan8 powder.

But since that's not legal anymore, I shoot mostly steel BB at geese. It can be very confusing (and expensive) when you get into all the alternatives. I haven't used enough to come to any conclusion, but I'm sure some have.

Good luck on your hunt!

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

I like 2 3/4" HeviShot 2s or 4s, but then I just shoot decoying geese for the most part when I shoot geese.

I shoot a lot of honkers and like a 1-1/2 oz load moving at 1350fps or more ( I handload a 10 ga.) Do NOT use smaller than #2 and only then if you are getting them landing in the dec's at less than 40 yards. My suggestion would be 2 BB loads followed by a T as your 3rd shot is almost always up their butts. I don't use the high dollar stuff so have no opinion on it other than it's too expensive!

All good suggestions.

I use 3 inch, 2s and BB.

My Father In Law, who is LIGHTS OUT on Geese, and kills 100+ a year, shoots 2 3/4 inch 2 shot.

Good luck

12 guage #00 buckshot inter-twined with 100 lb test fishing line about 12 inches long....good for over 100 yds....you said best load(not legal load)HEHEHE...
Same scenerio used to disable galleons on the high seas 500 years ago with 12 pounder cannons.

I used to shoot 3 1\2". 12 guage #1 when I could find them. I have always used BB, #1, or #2 for geese. I never needed anything bigger because I only shoot geese over decoys. Some of the bigger shot may be better for sky busting.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-09 AT 07:25AM (MST)[p]Depends how you are huntin. Last year in Alberta I was shooting 1 1/8 oz #3 steel. Those geese haven't been shot at and it was all head/beak shoots inside 30 yards.

In NE Kali I used #4 and #2 hevishot til I quit huntin em a few years ago. When the limit is 2 and you average 4 shots a trip, the cost of hevishot was worth it to me. That was for honkers. Snows/Specks/lessers I used steel BB or BBB.

I hunt geese all fall and my only addition is that IMO 3 1/2 inch 12 ga. are not needed. BB or 2 shot almost exclusively for me. I really have started liking the Remington Nitro Steel BB, 1 1/8 oz, 1550 fps loads. The geese fall dead out of the sky and I am comfortable out to about 40 yards.

My 12 year old son is shooting 3in. 20 ga, 1 oz #2's at 1330 FPS and he is still killing geese but we let the birds decoy in and he only shoots at birds that are feet down over the decoys.

We have pounded the geese over the years.

Nemont

I agree that Hevisteel is expensive but worth it. I like #4s. I was skeptical but amazed at how the honkers folded even at longer ranges. However, I normally put a BBB in for my last shot.

Unfortunately, all the water is hard around here now...geese have gone to warmer climes...

HAZMAT

www.muddyroad.net

Well it wasn't to impressive for my outing this past weekend. I used the Winchester drylock #2's. Dropped three. One of them got to the river before I could shoot it again, another one glided into somebody's back yard, and the other one we could not find. I wish lead was still legal. I'll keep trying though. Think I'll try some other loads, thanks for the suggestions.

Frontier,

They are expensive and if you are shooting alot it may not make sense but if you can get your hands on some #4 or #2 hevishot that will cure any geese that have been hit from flying off.

Also you should try adding a touch more lead to be sure you are hitting them in the head or neck. Sometimes it is tough to kill them if you are hitting them in the body, they have so much fat, feather and bone to get through when you hit them in the body.

Nemont

I wouldn't say it depends sooo much on the size of shot, compared to what kind of patern you are throwing out there. I kill 150 to 200 geese a year in Idaho, and a few years ago I started shooting a wad wizard choke out of my Super X 2. The most lethal all around combo, but most of shooting comes from decoying geese, was Kents Fast steel 3 1/2 in. 1 3/8 oz of #2 going 1450. My theory was, smaller bb's take in less feathers as they penitrate, plus there is more bb's in that shot, than say T's. When you clean your birds, look at how many feathers are in the bb holes, and look how much penitration you are getting, into the vitals. I also, like the theory that speed kills, shoot high velocity bullets. Just a couple of my finding over the years.

snipersmilie.gif

one shot

Frontier, maybe someone has already said this but, grab several different loads,chokes(if steel imp cyl)and pattern your gun. Not all shotshells shoot the same,a #2 Winchester might shoot great but a #2 Remington can't hit the barn and so on and so fourth.

What I have done in the past is get a sheet of plywood cover with butcher paper draw an outline of a goose in the center or I would use a cheap goose shadow,step off 40 or 50 yards take good steady aim and shoot,find a load that patterns well with your gun,then get down on one knee like in a blind etc,stand up shoulder your gun and shoot as if you were shooting at a flying goose.It might be that your shooting to far ahead,behind,high or low of the bird. It's either one or the other thats causing all of those cripples.

I'm still learning about western big game hunting but waterfowl hunting is old hat to me.I hope this helped.

Joe E Sikora

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom