best little camera

smitty

Very Active Member
I'm wanting to get a little video camera for hunting. something light weight, but good quality. Maybe something around $150-$200.

I've looked at several panasonics, and sony, just wondering if somebody has experience with a good camera and can point me in the right direction/

Thanks.

Have you seen the new ultra small cameras that fit below the bill of a baseball cap? They also make one that clips on just about anything. That unit is about 3" x 1 1/2" x 1 1/2". Don't know about quality or duration, but something like these that are hands free sure would distract your hunt less. I saw these at Cabelas from $100 to $150.

Member RMEF, Pope & Young Club, UBNM, UWC & the SFW Hate Club

Sony WX150 is a great cam that also double as a killer digiscope cam if you can figure out a way to attach it to your scope. I made my own adaptors and they an incredible job for both 14mpixel images and 1080HD video.

Cheers,
Pete

Get one with at least 20x optical zoom, preferably even higher. Just so much better when you can zoom in and fill the frame.
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer? See Zeke for prime example....

As a blogger who does a lot of outdoor video, I echo what mntman said. You will wish you had more zoom, it will help you get consistent, quality video.

I recently upgraded to a 30X optical zoom for this reason.

Best of Luck,
Jeff (MM Sponsor)
http://www.elkmtngear.com

I bought a little panasonic S26 that goes out to 60X. I paid between $200-300 for it and it has been amazing. It is small enough to fit into a pant or shirt pocket and takes great video (especially for the price). I love the extra zoom because you don't have to try to digiscope with it. You just zoom in.
One caution, it is small and so it is hard to hold real steady without a tripod, especially when you zoom way in, but now we don't go afield without it.

Smitty, quit being a tight wad and spend some of your money and buy a nice camera. You will get exactly what you pay for. A mic costs more than you want to spend.

I just recently bought the Cannon Vixia HFR30 and I love it. 8 GB built in Flash Memory and accepts SD Memory cards as well. 32X Optical Zoom, which is very good for a full 1080p HD Camcorder, especially in this price range. I paid $300 at Best Buy. I read a lot of reviews before making my decision and this camera got the highest marks for both low light recording and general image quality.

Another option for you!

I do agree as well, spend a little more money and you will be glad you did.

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

also another thing to consider is what kind of batteries it uses. I bring extra batteries for everything, headlamp, camera, flashlight, GPS... They used to be all different so I would have to carry different kinds for each device. I have now migrated to using only products that have "AA" batteries so it is much easier that they are interchangeable and to have extra spares for all devices....

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom