Best Job

I

IDAbowhunter

Hey guys Im a freshman in college, and I have no idea what I want to do. What is the best job(s) in you opinion that would allow me to have time off to hunt, be fun, and pay well? Just looking for some other opinions because I am at a loss right now.
Thanks

Well I was in sales for 12yrs. My pay was straight commission so I got as much time off as I wanted (when I made enough money to pay the bills and put some away). You can either do straight commission or salary plus commission. When I was in sales I would take 4-6 weeks off each year, usually 3 of those for hunting. Now I'm part owner of the company. A Four year collage biz degree is what it takes to get into our industry or 7yrs sales experience in another industry.

We sell digital imaging systems to business's in the Portland area. No traveling, great comp plans. M-F 8-5. Every major city and most smaller cities have these kinds of companies around so no matter where you live, you can find this kind of position. Most our sales staff earns $50-70K first year, but it all depends how hard you work and what kind of client base you can generate will determine how much you can make! My top salesman this year will make almost $290K. Great industry to be in, but lots of pressure and competition the first 4-5yrs until you build your base!

Just a thought!

muleyman

copy machines???

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

IDAbowhunter, I'm 61 and I'm still asking myself the same thing. When I retire I'll have time off for hunting. I'll finally get one out of the three.

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

hehe...eelgrass, with so little time on your hands, how have you mangaged 8000+ posts? You must be doing something right... ;-)

IDA, I didn't graduate until I was 28; worked construction full-time all those years while trying to earn that silly accounting degree. Then when I finally got the degree, I had to put in about 15 years of 60+ hours a week just to learn the ropes and get established. But after getting that all out of the way, the past five years have been pretty sweet. Occasionally travel still interfers with my hunting, but for the most part I can take off whenever I want for either hunting or family. I'm not advocating an accounting degree, I'm just telling you not to get your hopes up too much about the time off for hunting until you establish yourself and pay your dues in your chosen field, and don't ever take it for granted once you do...

Good luck.

There is something that you failed to mention in your post. What are you majoring in???

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak."
-Ted Nugent-

I graduated Animal Science thinking I was going to do something in the cattle industry. Since I grew up in it I took the easy way out and never really pushed my learning curve. I spent some time there and now I am involved in a family business(out of the animal world) and wish everyday I went exclusively Business or Ag Business as my major. I run cattle as a side hobby now and have more fun with it than being involved day in and out 24/7. With a Business Degree you can adapt to any job and have a basic knowledge of accounting and bookkeeping. That is huge asset to any company as well as yourself(more ammo in your pistol)! You never know where you will end up, but if you have any thoughts of specializing in anything stay for 4 more years(yeah right) or get a minor in something of interest! Hope this helps a little. Good luck Freshy! And dont fall in love until you are a senior too. You will have way more fun:)

become a politition, all u gotta know is how to kiss alot of butt and hold your pockets wide open. or a contractor they gots lots of time to hunt and fish

It really doesn't matter what you decide to do, if you don't learn how to manage your money and invest wisely. I'm learning this the hard way, went to school for 3 years, found out I'd make more money building my own business than I would with my degree (psychology, I was going into Federal law enforcement). I'm a painting contractor and yea the past few years have been pretty good, but I didn't put enough money away and now, well, reality is what it is.

So go out and educated yourself on what to do with the money you make, I've read a bunch of books from Kiyosaki, Richest man in Babylon, etc......

FIREFIGHTER.....HANDS DOWN. WORK 10 DAYS A MONTH....OFF 20 DAYS A MONTH. NOW DAYS YOU WILL MAKE $100,000+ A YEAR WITH SOME OVERTIME ,FULL HEALTH BENEFITS, REALLY A FUN JOB, GREAT WORKING CONDITIONS, HIGHLY RESPECTED PROFESSION, A FUN JOB,... & WITH OTHER TIME OFF INCLUDED YOU MAY ONLY WORK 100 DAYS OUT OF THE YEAR. I STARTED AT AGE 20.....RETIRED WITH FULL BENEFITS AT 49. REALLY A BLAST OF A JOB.......I HUNT MORE NOW THOUGH...CANT TOUCH IT........YD.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom