Best Job

I

IDAbowhunter

Hey guys Im a freshman in college, and I have no idea what I want to do. What is the best job(s) in you opinion that would allow me to have time off to hunt, be fun, and pay well? Just looking for some other opinions because I am at a loss right now.
Thanks

in ca I would say a fireman...

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I have to agree with D13 on this 1. Been 1 for 24 years. Never going to be rich but plenty of time off to enjoy the outdoors.

I would look into a PharmD if I was doing it over..great pay, supposed to grow 30% in coming years, so the demand is high..You can relocate to just about anywhere you want and make a good living.

Please let me know when you figure it out. The horrible economy finally caught up to me and I got the ax 2 weeks ago. I think now is as good a time as ever to make a career change because I am sick of my current career. I am 31 so I think its not too late to start over.

Find something that has good benefits, even if the pay is not that great. Retirement & medical are priceless as you get older.

Mrs. Obama has 22 assistants...you might check in to that.

Personally I would look to Govt or Health Care. The govt is wiping out Free Enterprise and Capitalism, so forget about selfemployment and being an entrepreneur.

HK

I would say something in healthcare if the government does not screw that up also. If you are ambitious become an emergency doctor. If not that ambitious become a nurse. The pay is good. You can relocate just about anywhere. As a Nurse you have the option to work 12 hour shifts at some places. That cuts down on the number of days you have to go to work. One bad thing about getting into the health care feild you need good grades and some states only allow you to retake 2 classes and with draw from 2 classes before you have to meet with the dean of the program if you want to continue. just my 2 cents

teach, its the easiest job in the world. the pay is not bad and benefits to boot. plenty of days off and difficult to get canned

Happy Hunting

Find something that you LOVE to do and the money will follow. It depends on how much you are willing to defer your hunting for education.
Limited deferment: Fireman is hard to beat. You work 24 hr shifts with lots of time off, and you help people for a living. Earning potential is somewhat limited.

2-4 year deferment: Nursing and Laboratory Medicine are great careers. Nurses work 12 hr shifts leaving LOTS of time to hunt. Certified Lab Techs (Also a 4 year degree) work 7 on 7 off rotations. i.e. you work 70 hrs, get paid for 80, and take half the year off!!! Both careers are open in virtually every city in the US.

6-8 year deferment. While Pharm D sounds like a great career, do you really want to get a PHD to count pills 10 hrs a day? I suggest you get at least a Masters degree, but stay out of business, management, and retail. While great careers, they are 9-5 grinds with very few days off to play. Once you have a Masters or more, you have OPTIONS!

What I like about Fireman, Nurse, and Med Tech, is that you get lots of time off during the week. No more ?weekend warrior?.

With all that being said, I have a good friend who became a vet, added an MBA, raised a family and hunted 10x more than I did while he was in school. Proof once again that hard work will pay off in the field and in your career. Your Job is your OIL tag. Most guys don't get too far from the road while hunting, and they don't get too invested in their careers while working. While hunting, working, studying, etc. just outwork the guy next to you and success will follow.

I agree with all of the above but my suggestion would be work in a fire program. Either structure or Wildland. The nice part about a wildland fire job is you can do it during the summer while your going to college. This way you can give it a shot and see if this is something that you enjoy or not. I have been a wildland firefighter for almost 8 years and I absolutley love it. You are extremely busy during the summer months but you have a good part of the fall and winter to go hunting. Hope this helps you out.

Garrett Carr
www.atfirstlightguides.com

For me I'm a contractor in utah. Its hard to stay busy when the economy takes a crap but if your good then work is always there. I'm lucky enough to own my business so getting time off isn't an issue. And the money is great. But it took me 13 years to get to this point and as of next year I've got 6 big game hunts already planned and scheduled time off. But all in all I love my job.

Figure out what you would love doing that can make you a living. Being happy in your job is paramount and will make life great for you and your family and you will do that job well. And if you do it well, you will excel at it and probably rise to the top of the heap and hopefully end up with the top job and hence top pay. But it won't happen overnight and you will probably have to sacrifice at the beginning to end up with the brass ring later on. It worked for me ..... and I got to hunt enough to satisfy me early on. The cool thing is I've had a fun run the whole time and the hunting trips get to be a bit higher quality later on. My 2 cents........
Oh....what am I? Oilfield trash!

I gotta throw in Dentistry. Most only work 4 days a week with Fridays off, average pay in the U.S. is around 200K a year. Being self employed I can take off whenever I want.

Im a firefighter and I work.

1 day on, 2 days off, 1 day on, 4 days off.

So if i take one vacation day I can get 7 days off at a time. right now i get 8 vacation days and 5 holidays a year. the longer you are on the more vacation you get. But I don't make 200 K a year.

Full time National Guard

You would have to join first and then work towards it. It could be done in just a few years with hard work. You would have excellent benefits as well.

This message was NOT sent via Blackberry

Stay away from teaching. Yes they get summer to scout, but no time off in the fall. They get two paid vacation days a year, called personal days. The government is cutting many jobs right now,and are cutting benefits each year.

People who are too lazy to raise their kids want to blame all of their problems on teachers. Teachers have to spend all day trying to work with the offspring of idiots who think teaching is an easy job.

Go work for the Forest Service.

Man, I'd have to say I love my job. I am a night shift supervisor for a flexographic printing company. We work 3 12 hour shifts a week, every other month you have 7 days off in a row. This is my second full year here, and I had no previous experience, and I will make 45K this year. Not bad for no college education or previous exp. And this is in Idaho, so I can live pretty high on the hog with those wages, plus it can only go up from here.

snipersmilie.gif

one shot

The BIG question. Here is my advice:

-Choose a career that allows you to live where you want. There are certain careers that only exist in certain States. Watch this.

-If money is important to you, then choose a career that pays well.

-Choose something that interests you, and keeps you learning.

-Most importantly! Work your ASS off, and be the very best at whatever you do. Those that are the best have the best opportunities, the best pay, and the best chance to move up.

Good luck!

Firefighter.....no doubt about it.....HOWEVER...you will more then likely have to live in a fair sized city in order to make enough to be somewhat comfortable. I'm assuming that you live in Idaho and I'm not that familiar with firefighter pay up there so I'm only going on my guesses. I've been a firefighter for a small city (13,000) in N. Alabama for over 22 years. The pay is not good....but I work 24 hrs. on....48 hrs. off and now have 4 weeks vacation to play with. No matter where you go....be sure it's a department that is union....by that I mean the IAFF, International Association of Firefighters, they will do more to protect your job than anything you can do. We just joined the IAFF a little over a year ago and things are finally beginning to turn our way.....good luck whatever you choose.

+1

As they say, some people do what they have to do to live where they want to live, and some people live where they have to live do to do what they want to do.

Try to find something that allows both or some reasonable compromise.

I know it's a lot of school, but if I could go back and do it over again - DENTIST. You're young and have plenty of time. My dentist works 3 days a week, and makes great money.

I work a rotating schedule. 12 hr shifts 730-730 I start with 4 graves on 3 days off 3 days on 1 day off 3 graves on 3 days off 4 days on 7 days off. I love my schedule, been working it for 3 years now and have hunted more days in a row at a time than ever before. in 2009 i hunted deer in utah for 25 days, i am in the dedicated program. None of those days were on the extended to many wannabes with bad attitudes that own any deer in those hills in november.

Get your 4 year RN degree and then work PRN. You will make good money and you can make your own schedule and transfer anywhere in the country.

I do anesthesia for a living. If I had to do it over, I would choose anesthesia again. The pay is adequate and I have 10 weeks vacation a year. I also work 1 night of call per week, but I get the morning off before and the day off after. It's a few years of school and a couple of years to pay off the student loans, but then it's gravy after that.

a couple thoughts from someone who has been where you are:

1 - Consider every suggestion/option from a positive perspective first. What I mean by that is don't just think of the crappy parts of a job first and then put it in the "not gonna happen pile." Example - Dentistry. The negative people will say "who wants to look in people's nasty mouths all day?" The positive folks will say "it pays well, has flexible hours, can be done almost anywhere in the country, allows you to be your own boss and is recession resistant." Now, maybe it isn't your bag, but at least give it a fair shake before you ditch the idea. Take this approach with any option and you will have a better idea of what to seriously consider.

2 - While in school, you are blessed with a hefty amount of free time. Take advantage of that and spend some time with the fellas and at parties or whatever, but don't forget to be productive with that free time as well. I wish I would have asked people in any profession I was considering if I could shadow/intern with them for free for a day/week/month, just to get a feel for the job they do. The perspective gained would be well worth a couple missed video game sessions or parties.

3 - Find out what you are good at. People who are in professions that line up with their natural strenths and talents are typically much happier and more successful. In addition, if you work hard at something you are naturally good at your hard work is more productive than the same person who is less talented but works equally hard.

4 - Stay out of debt if at all possible. Student loans might be unavoidable, but if you can, avoid them. Credit card debt and auto loans are a trap that look shiny and feel nice at the time, but lead to hard days of paying for crap that isn't shiny anymore. If you can't pay for it in cash, don't buy it.

5 - Don't be afraid to take risks. You are young. You have time to recover if they don't work out.

good luck.
mshred

Here is what a friend of mine did. He has a 4 yr degree and has been out of school for 6 yrs and is making $80,000+ and is expected to make much more as the years go on. He went to Utah St. in Logan and majored in Industrial Hygiene/Occupational Health and Safety. They have one of the best programs in the country and Logan is a cool place. After 5 years of working you take a certification exam and that is when you start making the big money. Hours are normal.

I can tell you, do not become a civil engineer. Unless you own your own company, you will not have the time you are looking for. However, I did once meet a guy that was a computer designer/IT/program writer who worked for google, ebay, or one of those other internet companies. You work from home, set your hours, and make very good money. So essentially, you could live anywhere (even up in the mountains perhaps) as long as you have power and an internet connection (fly-fishing for lunch? Why not). I would also recommend that you look into going into a career that is sought after in the outdoor recreation industry. I am not talking about working at cabelas, no disrespect to that of course, but a company that manufactures and/or designs outdoor recreation products. Many of these companies are smaller, pay well, have great benefits, and are in excellent locations (Wasatch Front, Alaska, Oregon, boulder,Washington, etc. etc.). I have read a few articles on some of these companies and they encourage you (almost even make you) spend time outdoors doing different activities, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle (many will have a full gym in the building or be located next to a bike trail or blue ribbon river). Not to mention, they give you free products and require you to use them. A company cannot dictate how you spend your freetime so it essentially is your job to spend a certain amount of time "testing" products which is equivalent to you getting to do what you love while other shmucks are stuck in the office.

Everybody should work a summer in Alaska while they are young. Jobs are super easy to find up there for the summer.

I've been a firefighter/paramedic for 18 years and could not have done what I have in life without the schedule. We now work a 48 hour shift so its 2 on and 4 off and I only commute to work 5 times a month. Its good pay, great benefits, and you get on a rare occasion to do something really special and make a difference in someone's life. Kid's love you, women adore you and almost every guy out there wants to have your job. The camaraderie and 'brotherhood" that develops within your crew and station is like very few things anyone can compare. The teamwork aspect of doing a "job" on an emergency scene is very fulfilling. You could make more money doing other things but you can't buy time off.

My suggestion is to take every fire department test in every western state and get on the job. Then if you decide you want to be somewhere else start testing there. Try to work some seasonal wildland firefighting but don't go down that road for a long term career path. The fed's just don't want to pay more than just a few a decent wage so there are alot of older burnout's living out of duffle bags out there throwing insults at us structural "engine slugs" but 99.9 % would take a "Engine slug" job given half a chance.

It is the ultimate job for a hunter/outdoorsman.

My best job would be 600 million dollar lottery winner. If you work in the medical industry just make sure you don't have to deal with the doctors, the neurosurgeons are hung up on their god like complex.

Another vote for Firefighter. I have been on the job now for 5 years. I work 48 hours on shift and 96 hours off shift. Tons of time off. I run out of money long before I run out of time to hunt! As stated before, it is like having a 2nd family that encompasses guys you are willing to lay it all on the line for. It is a very rewarding job. Good luck in your decision. Whatever you choose, do the very best you can and you will be successful.

OK...Ok. Lots of votes for Fire Fighter. Something I have thought about and I have a few clients that are fire fighters.

Question. How old is too old to think about a career change into the fire department?

I'd say that depends greatly on the department. I started at 35 and wish I had started much sooner. We have had guys over 40 in some of our rookie schools, so you never know.

I would agree with that. I started at the age of 32 and have had several others make it through recruit school at or near 40. With a 20 year retirement on 50% of your wage, or 30 year retirement on 70% of your wage, it pays to get in early and enjoy life after retirement, but it is never too late if your young at heart and in great shape.

start your own business and be your own boss. let's you set your own hours and you can make a good living.

self employment, yes it may be difficult in these current times, I am a specialty contractor (decorative conc., roof restorations). Work your butt of from spring through early fall, then it's fun time when hunting season is here. For me it has worked out great with the kids schedules also. One has to be creative and have a open mind, there are alot of options for self employment out there. Live the American dream.....

California LA County Firefighters make very good money as stated. Your work does matter and you get to help people and save lives. If you're not working in CA. Firemen don't get paid as well. If I had to do it all over I would finish college. I would also work construction in between school to learn all the various trades associated with home building. My dad was from a time when you had to do everything and anything. This would come in handy to build your own home later on for half the price and done right by you. It could also come in handy if you bought fixer uppers and turned them over for a profit. These days it does not look to lucritive but times will eventually change. Our politicians and big business are shipping jobs overseas and have not figured out you DO need to be protectionist in nature to take care of your own people first. I would pick a career that can't be exported or backfilled by illegals.

Wow, this thread has got me thinking now. For all those who are firefighters, what is the process to become one? Thanks.

I agree that the single most important thing is to decide WHERE you want to live first. After you get the WHERE, then decide what. I've lived my life in Wyoming and there are not many paid firefighters here. I'm a volunteer fireman, but only a few towns in Wyoming have enough people to have a paid department.

Two of my daughters are in therapy and another is headed that way. looks like a good life to me. They make good money and have flexibility.

I'd also say that you should do more than your job. I work full time, run cattle, raise hay and outfit hunters. Life is good and I live where I want. By having ag and hunting deals, I have some tax advantages and get to spend a lot of time doing things I love.

If I was a fireman in Vegas or LA, I might have more days off, but I sure could not look out my window every day and see mule deer, turkeys and more. And I'd sure have to worry more about crime and safety.

Anyhow, decide WHERE FIRST. That's what really matters. Good luck in your life adventure.

Coal Miner-Hard work but it has it's benefits.
4-12hrs then three off
3-12hrs then 1 off
3-12hrs then three off
4-12hrs then (seven off)

I do not know any other job where you get (12) 7 day weeks off a year plus two weeks of vacation= (14 weeks + 3-sick days and 3-personal days.
Great pay and benefits.
After 5 years you get another week off as well.
I would not reccomend it for anyone that minds lots work but the rewards are awesome.
Scared of the dark forget it-Claustrophobic forgit it.

=Lots of time in the hills or with family.
Best,
Jerry

44f4e09309b4a917.jpg

Real estate has been a good route for me. Dig in hard core from January to August and you can take the needed time off to scout and to hunt. Motivation helps in this profession and great poeple skills.

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

Heck, with the way the country is headed, just remain unemployed...
You will be able to get all your needs taken care of without lifting a finger. You can get foodstamps, live in government housing, I see you can even get a free cell phone and plan from the government now. Soon you will even be able to get your own health plan at no charge. You can then have 7 days off a week to hunt or do whatever else you might enjoy doing. Leave work for the other people.........

I think we have all been where you are at some point in our lives.

I didn't know what I wanted to do out of HS (1981, so I went where the future was and got a degree in Computer information systems (CIS) which is a computer programmer. I hated every moment I did it. Went back to school and got a degree in secondary education (high School)and at age 33 began my teaching career. I love my job but it sucks if you want to go on long hunting trips. I usually take a friday and Monday off on my hunts. You do get lots of time off and if you ever have a family it is nice because you get to be with your kids a lot as they are growing up.

Whatever you do, do something you will enjoy doing. Your life, marriage, family, and relationships will be all the better if you do.

Good Luck

brokenwind +1

Fire fighting seems pretty popular. If your pension fund gets low just raise my property taxes. No problem. I don't mind working until the age of 70 so you can retire at age 55.

One request though. When you get a call at 2:30am for some welfare dirt bag who overdosed on drugs, please don't run with your stupid siren blaring. It wakes me up and I have to get up early to go to work. Thanks!

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

I guess none of the Nevada miners are going to speak up. Mining pays well. I remember reading in the Elko paper 65k was Elko county average. You can expect to start out making up to 50K with some overtime and the underground boys are making over 100K with overtime and experience. The shift work can be tough but you get use to it. I can't think of no other job in the rural areas that allows you the time and money to spend on hunting and no degree required.

get a degree as a special education teacher........you can get a job anywhere in the usa.....In Idaho for example, there are school districts that are on a 4 day work week......three day weekends to hunt.......

Best Job?

All I can say is don't put - making money and time off into it. Best job is something that you will enjoy doing period.

All income producers have there ups and downs. You will work way more than you play. So do something you enjoy doing.

If you like being in the hills - maybe some job in the outdoors. like a pumper for an oil company. Good money. Good Benifits.

Get a degree in something that you like is bottome line. I have an engineering degree. But to each his own.

all i can say ,is some of you professor's need to go back to school with the advice your givin.....

After working myself to death and ultimately losing my job at a so called "high income" job in the private sector, I say go for anything with the government that has good benefits. Don't feel bad about slopping at the public trough with the rest of the lazy hogs. I am thinking of heading that way myself.

All my friends with government jobs used to laugh at me when I said I worked 65 hour weeks without paid vacations or sick days. Of course, I made more money but my friends played on the internet half the day and worked a normal 9-5. My friends also have untions to back them up when someone tries to challenge them for wasting half the work day on the internet. BTW, my friends have pension plans while I was responsible for my own retirement. Good luck with funding your own retirement the way the Wall Street shananigans have been going. Take a government job in a location that you like and be happy.

Well I am 24 years old and am a general construction contractor. I have only been in business for 3 years, even with the economy as it is if you are good at what you do you stay really buzy. I am still booked for the next 8 months. I can take off whenever i want to, which is great and the pay can be super good if you are smart at your bidding!

Thanks a lot guys for the help. Its a tough decision and I appreciate the suggestions. I like all of them. I just have to figure things out.
Thanks

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom