best hiking trail you know of

M

Monarch

My wife and I will be driving out to the Rockies in 2 weeks to do our annual 2 week hike and I have ran out of good trail ideas and Guess what I am in charge of what to do, where to go--well you guys know the story. She doesnt want to hike where I hunt - emanage that. We live in Michigan and have hiked Mt,Id,ut, Wy, and Co. We are ultralight freaks, for I had to save weight due to big belly. There has to be one cool trail that you guys like and will share with me. thanks

I've been up Mt. Olympus twice this year. That's a healthy hike. 4200 vertical feet and 3 miles to the top. Another one that I think could be a lot of fun is the Lone Peak trail, also above the Salt Lake Valley here. As soon as the snow melts off a little more, I need to do that one just to say I did it. 6000 vertical feet and 6 miles I believe.
Good workout for hunting.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-10 AT 11:25PM (MST)[p]I just did the Lone Peak yesterday with my new pack at 40 lbs. and that trail is one of my favorite. Depending on how you tackle that mountain, will determine the trail length and initial steepness. You can take the Jacob's Ladder way which will be a little longer or you can do the way I usually do which is the Hidden Valley Park way at the begining of the Bonneville Shoreline Trail.

The view from the top is awesome!

***BONUS***
IF you go the Hidden Valley Way, the top of the Mtn. will wrap over the top and you can drop down through Bell Canyon and just have someone pick you up at the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon. This would be good for a 2 day hike.

Either way, you hike will start out with everything from Scrub oak and tall grasses and head into some pines and then some mixed pines and quakies. There are quite a few natural springs and it will be HOT - So be sure to bring at least a 3 liter (105 ounces) water bladder and a water filter to refill. I would say that is the most important part of the hike other than HAVE FUN!!

?-ERock-> ?

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-10 AT 05:06AM (MST)[p]the high line trail in the Uinta's is a great trail for an extended trip.

The only thing that sucks about it is nasty lightning and rain everyday this time of year.

if you are looking for an interesting hike try hiking around Mt Hood in Oregon. It is a 50 mile hike that can be done as day hikes. Also, you can hike the Pacific Crest trail starting at Lake Chelan Washington and going south, did this one as a kid and don't remember where the take out point is, but also a 50 miler. The lake Chelan hike can be extended for as long as you want it to.

Stan

I see you have never hiked in Nevada, The Ruby crest trail near Elko is nice in july, it would be a 30 mile or so hike, lots of wildlife, nice flowers, and its a little less buggy than places like the Wind Rivers in WY or Uintas in UT.

Quite a few scenic hikes into the Weminuche. Mid to late July would put you into peak wildflower season also.
http://www.trails.com/activity.aspx?area=13953

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://dougkoepsel.smugmug.com/
CoyoteButtesSo_721.jpg

Sounds like the north loop trail and you probably started at many glacier and went thru tarmegan tunnel and went by fifty mountain am I wright ? We have done most of the trails there at least once, and I think it is the most beautiful place in the world. I guess I should confess - my name is Ron and I have a hiking problem.

Leave your car at the trail head in Turpin Meadows (North of Jackson) and hike the 30 miles into Hawks Rest. It sits on the confluence of the Thorofare and Yellowstone rivers, on the SE corner of Yellowstone. Can't get farther away from a road than there. I imagine you could do the hike in 6 days and enjoy yourself. Some side trails that take you to Two Ocean Pass and other novelties. Of course the grizzlies and wolves might make the experience more interesting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom