Best gun

E

Elkanddeer98

What is the best gun on the market today for a reasonable price (up to $1000)? I'm looking at getting a rifle for deer and elk and I currently shoot a 30-06 but looking to upgrade to something bigger like a 300.

300 is the same caliber as the 30-06

If I were you i'd keep shooting the 06 very popular which keeps your price for ammo down. You pay 20 a box, I pay 30-40 a box since I shoot a unpopular caliber 280 remington.

Go into a large gun store and take a look at all their 300 mags and buy the one you like best and fits you best within that price range.

What I think is a great rifle, maybe you would not think it is a great rifle. Some people likes Corvettes, others like Mercedes better.

RELH

Caliber aside, I would strongly suggest a tikka t3 lite. It shoot amazing from the factory. Good trigger, nice feel, rugged, lite to packing etc. They are a great rifle and shoot awesome. The amount you save on teh rifle goes to better glass. I bought my .270 2 years ago and it has become my favorite all around gun to shoot. If I was reloading now it would be scary how accurate/consistent it would get.

WHAT ELKS96 SAID, EXCEPT I BOUGHT MY TIKKA IN THE STAINLESS STEEL.....300 WSM. GREAT TO CARRY ALL WEEK, ACCURATE, NOT A SHOW PIECE, BUT A GREAT WEAPON. I PAID $490 ABOUT 7 YEARS BACK.........................YD.

+2 on the Tikka T3

I love my 270 WSM. There is a T3 in 300 WM on clearance at Sports Authority for $349. That's a steal!!! You could buy yourself a pretty nice scope with the money left over.

The one I like the best is the 270 WSM I have the 300 WSM also. The 270 WSM for some reason hits as hard as the 300 WSM without the drop. I know, I know,(smart a*** and ballistic chart experts back off)the ballistic charts do not support this claim but owning both, I like the 270 best. They come in many brands Ruger Winchester Savage Browning and so on and so on. Prices range from 450 t0 1000+ I personally like the Browning because of the two position thumb safety versus the three position ones that are most popular theses days... Be careful with the Tika, they are well priced and shoot well but you have to chamber each round one by one to unload it. Tikas don't come with a removable clip or drop plate. That alone is why I don't own one. My best friend has the 300 WSM Tika and makes me nervous every time he unloads. I have watched him take two elk with it does the job well. My 270 WSM I have taken 3 bulls,my son took 1 bull as well, several goats and a few deer and a bear,puts everything on the ground hard. I will be buying two more this year I want the X Bolts in both, in Browning.

Tikka T3 rifles only come with detachable magazines...

I've got a browning x bolt stainless hunter in .25-06 that shoots lights out. I wish I would have gone the stainless synthetic route though- I might tear up a bit when/if I scratch the stock.

If You are looking for more power step up to the .338 Win. Mag. Your 06 is plenty of gun and all any of the 300's are going to do is add velocity. The 338 is a great elk gun and is also a good choice for hunting up north.
JMHO!
Norkal

"INVEST IN LEAD FOR THE TIMES AHEAD!"

Agree with moving up to the .338. I have been shooting a .300 Win Mag for years and about 7 years ago I bought a .338.very nice caliber with the ballistics right up there. You shoot an 06 wich is .308, as is the .300. the only way to move up from the 308 caliber is moving up to the .338 win mag!

Thanks for that I will go look any idea who stocks them Tika is an awesome gun.

I have the 300wsm, and love it! used to have a 300winmag and they are very close in ballistics either one is good. My dad has a 270wsm and likes it but wishes he got the 300wsm instead now that I have mine. Not nearly as many factory load options for it and they are getting fewer and fewer for him. Ballistics are so close between the two too that it is nearly unarguable...

Rifle choice, both of ours our in the browning x bolt and we love them, accurate, easy to shoot and reliable. No issues. Between previously owned rifles and friends rifles in same/similar calibers, the design of the x bolt has lower felt recoil. Way nice. I will have this gun until it is worn out.
Plus they aren't real expensive, I got my x bolt at sportsmans last year for $850. Synthetic and stainless! Hard to beat the quality/price.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

I have owned Rugers, Remingtons, and Browning out of the box rifles. I have had great success with all. Right now for big game I use the Brownings (synthetic stocks/stainless) because they are so light and nice to pack.

">The .300 Weatherby Mag. is and
>always will be the "King"
>of the .30 calibers."

Except for the 300 Rem Ultra Mag, which is the new King! I guess that makes the 300 Weatherby the new Queen????? LOL

I've had great luck over the years with the "vanilla" Remington rifles but I really like CRF Winchesters too. Lots of my family and friends use the Browning X-bolt with great success. It's an excellent rifle and they all seem to shoot nice, tight groups.

Zeke

Remington model 700. Easiest gun to customize with aftermarket parts being plentiful and a darn fine shooting gun to boot. You can pick up a decent Remington for less than a grand and customize that sucker as your wallet or wife allows.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

Good advise by all, You should look at a SAVAGE also.
the .300 short mag is very tame to shoot in the savage.
Your moving up I went back down. The Ruger .300 Win gets 3 rounds a year incase some one needs it then goes back in the safe. The savage 111 30.06 went to the woods 3 of the 4 seasons. The wife thinks she is shooting one of the .270's
I am convinced the Savage recoil pad makes this 06 tamer then a .270. Check out a Savage.

>Best= 7mm or 300 win mag
>
>
>Least= 25-06 (that'll get a few people stomping their feet }>

LOL!

Best-whatever I shoot.
Least-whatever you shoot.

Isn't this a little bit the way we all are? We usually like what we use with few exceptions.

It's the Ford v Chevy debate. We all know Dodges don't even compare. (now that WILL get a few people stomping their feet. LOL)

Zeke

I have had great luck with Rogers Gunsmith out in West Valley adding muzzle breaks to all my rifles. They really reduce the recoil when you step up to the Mag calibers. There a bit noisy on the range and on a cold winter day in a draw or canyon, but for the majority of shooting they have really increased my accuracy. No more jumpin around waiting for the kick. I would really like to know if the breaks improve ballistics adding that extra inch or two to barrel length. Either way I feel its a good upgrade to any rifle (for me).....

"Isn't this a little bit the way we all are? We usually like what we use with few exceptions.

It's the Ford v Chevy debate. We all know Dodges don't even compare. (now that WILL get a few people stomping their feet. LOL)"

Yep! Exactly! And BTW, you are right "Dodges don't even compare"!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom