Best Dates For Moose

H

Hanson

I'm an Idaho boy and am thinking about putting in for moose next year and was curious when's the best time to hunt them? Thanks.

I feel that later is Better late October early Nov I know that they rut in Sept but there is to many leaves on the trees and they are harder to find when the leaves fall in late october they start to feed more and are looking for late estrus cows.. Hope this helps!!!

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Willard Utah

thanks a lot. any info helps for me. i am a rookie when it comes to moose hunting.

Well what I learned this year is this...if you have one picked out and plan on hunting archery, KILL HIM EARLY!!! When the rut starts near the end of September, those bulls will travel forever and you may never see the one you were after again. Mine traveled 7 miles away from where he had been all summer long. I got lucky because they will go much farther than that if they feel the need. The plus of the rut is that you never know when a new bull will stumble into your area. One day there is nothing and the next you may have several. Things will settle down again and they won't move so much later in October. Some areas improve drastically when the snow falls and pushes the moose lower. I recommend checking out some videos or tapes on moose calling (there's some on Youtube). It's easy to do and may pay off big to locate one or stop a running bull for a shot.

The biggest thing is spread the word when you draw that tag. People aren't as tight lipped about moose because the chance is so rare that if they know of a good bull, he'll probably be dead before they ever draw for him. Talk to deer and elk hunters, ranchers, sheep herders, ANYONE who will listen. Ranchers hate them busting down fences and causing havoc. Believe it or not, there's still some good ole boys that won't charge you to go blast a moose off their property! Throw out your cell number like it's going out of style and then bust your butt glassing. Good luck to you! Hope to see some sweet pics someday.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom