Best Compact Carbon Tripod??

A

azdezrthuntr

Looking for suggestions on a carbon tripod that is compact yet is still capable of reaching eye level standing up, I am 5' 11". I will be using 15x56 swaro's with the outdoorsmans pistol grip head. I know that az outdoorsmans have some really nice tripods, I am just looking for possibly a little less expensive option, but am not against spending the money for one of their's. If anybody has experience with either 3 of the outdoorsmans carbon tripods let me know what you think. Thanks for any help.

I don't think outdoorsmans makes carbon fiber tripods. You must mean something else. Do you mean the Manfrotto?
flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

Maybe they aren't carbon. They call them lightweight hunting trip pods. I have looked at the manfrotto 190cxpro and that's hat I am leaning towards right now.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-15-10 AT 06:32PM (MST)[p]I'd look through the Manfrotto, Slik, Velbon, Giotto, Gitzo Promaster, etc for a CF tripod that extends to at about 55" with the center column not extended. The Adorama and BH Photo sites list good specs for the tripods. Joel at CameraLand also has the Promaster CF tripods that Tony Bynum gave a good review on.

Having a tripod tall enough to stand behind and "compact" may not be kosher characteristics for you.

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://dougkoepsel.smugmug.com/
CoyoteButtesSo_721.jpg

Stay away from the 190 cx pro Manfrotto!!!!

I barely smacked mine against a rock I was sitting on while glassing last July. Snap! the bottom of one of the legs broke. I couldn't believe it, this is a $325 CF tripod. Supposed to be stronger than steel. BS.

I waited awhile to send it in, but it was still under the 1 year warranty. I sent in via UPS ($16) in February Manfrotto in New Jersey never called me once they received it. I called 3 weeks later and they said they did not receive it.

I gave them the UPS tracking number and they called 3 days later and said they found it sitting on the back shelf. I have called eight times since then. To add insult to injury, they told me that impact damage was not covered in the warranty ($67 for parts). What the crap is the warranty for?

I ponied up the credit card. They promised an April delivery date, nothing. Then they promised a May delivery date, nothing Now as of yesterday, they promised me a June 22 delivery date via UPS (which shipping charge is added to my CCard)

$325 for the pod, $67 for repairs/parts on a "warranted" product. $32 shipping. You get the numbers. Stay away and get something else!!!!!!

BTW I used to live in Italy. Everything except their suits and shoes are made cheap, cheap, cheap and way overpriced.

I also own a Manfrotto video pan head that is also on the fritz. As I/we say in Italian "Lasciatali solo!" Leave them alone, you will regret the purchase down the line. Save for the outdoorsmans, they are overpriced too but a much better and solid product.

My .02

Porter

The Outdoorsmans carries carbon tripods made by Bogen/Manfrotto - both the 055CXPRO3 and 190CXPRO3.

The tripods made by the Outdoorsmans (Outdoorsmans Tripods) are constructed of aluminum and weigh about the same as the Bogen carbon models, but use much smaller components and leg diameters so when collapsed they are much smaller. They were designed and made by hunters for hunters!

As for what you are looking for: I am 5'11" and have used both the Outdoorsmans Medium and Tall legs. I use the Medium with the Pistol Grip Head and the Tall with the Pan Head.

The Medium legs require the addition of the Center-Post Extension to be able to glass while standing. However, it is not ideal because the weight at the top tends to make it a little shaky. I added the extension so that when necessary I could glass while standing, but still use it mainly in a sitting position. If you mostly glass while sitting choose this set-up.

The Tall legs and Pistol Grip Head will give you just what you're looking for; the height to glass with your 15's while standing and the light weight of machined aluminum, all in a very compact tripod. If you mostly glass while standing choose this set-up.

One more thing: take a look at the Outdoorsmans Panning Attachment for use with your Pistol Grip Head. It makes grid-system glassing much easier!

If you have any questions about the different tripods, give the guys at the Outdoorsmans a call (800-291-8065). Not only do they live and work in the West, they also USE all these products in the field!

-----
Trent Swanson
Western Hunter Magazine
www.westernhuntermagazine.net
Outdoorsmans
www.outdoorsmans.com
Wilderness Athlete
www.wildernessathlete.com

I have two of the small Outdoorsmans tripods and love them. Can't go wrong with the Outdoorsmans. You already have some of the best binoculars, you may as well have the best tripod! fatrooster.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom