best combination

W

WSC

In the market for new optics. Thought I would check to see what you all thought was the best combination (bino's and spotter) for hunting out west. Would you go with 10x42's and a spotting scope, just a pair of 15x's, or what? Looking to upgrade from my 12x Nikon. I used them on a tripod 100% of the time. I typically sit all day behind glass, just wondering what works best for you.

There won't be a universal answer. Everyone has their preferences. I too will pack my 8.5x42s and a spotting scope.

I started a couple threads on the subject last year titled:

[http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID27/1630.html]

[http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID27/1598.html]

I'd say it depends on how you hunt and what you want to carry. Ideally, it'd be great to have some 8x42s, 15s, and a spotter; but that's 5+lbs of optics. If you hunt the backcountry and do alot of hiking, I'd say some 8x42s and a small spotter. If you barely get out of the truck, i'd say the more optics you have the better.

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

depends on the country u are going to be hunting..#1 ..I bought a Nikon ED fieldscope in 25-75x82mm last year thinking I would really use it..packed it once scouting & once hunting has been to the range checking groupings & in the back seat of my truck along for a ride more than out in the hills...now my binos on the other hand are always around my neck if I am horn hunting scouting or hunting...I would get the best pair of binos u can afford & get the spotter if u cant live with out it !!!

Get a pair of 10x binos. And a 20x60 + spotter. If you go with the 8x binos you'll wish you had 10x.

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

I would use 10 x 42 and i do in a leica geovid. . Buy the nicest glass you can afford. I have tried to carry 12 x 50 .But thay are to much to keep steady. Especially while hiking. 15 x 56 need to be on a tripod imo. But 10 x 42 should do everything you need out west. After you get them go with something bigger down the road like the 15 x 56 on a tripod. You wont be hiking far with them.
For a spotter if you are going to be back packing, the Nikon field scope 50mm ed is sweet. But for all around something like a prostaff 16 - 48 x 65 packs well enough.The bigger 80 mm scope are great but to be used at the truck or packed in on a horse.Hope this helps you.

have you considered some Swaro 15x56 binos with a doubler? With your hunting style I think they would be a perfect fit and the doubler would act a spotting scope.

I use 10x42 with a spotting scope.

"If you go with the 8x binos you'll wish you had 10x."

I think with many that is probably true, but with many others not. I carried 10xs for years and went with the 8.5x ELs and love them. The quality of the glass will be a contributing factor no doubt.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-11 AT 02:55PM (MST)[p]right now I carry 10x Zen Ray ED2, I am always wanting to see the next ridge over. I am considering either dropping down to top shelf 8x for more hand use than 10x, and a compact scope. Or top shelf 15x binos with a doubler and top shelf 8x compacts in the pocket. You will want long range capability out here and for me 10x doesn't do it, it's very frustrating to pack the weight of a tripod, sitting stool and binos just to get 1/2 the way there. Another issue you will have to deal with in addition to long range needs is inspecting into brush anywhere from 100 yards to 600 yards away. With closer areas to inspect a lower magnification is needed otherwise it will be difficult relocate those hidden deer. In other words you can have too much power.

I use 10x50 Alpens almost always. For some pack trips I take the spotter if I need real long range,65's. If I'm in thick stuff,not needing to see 5 miles, I use my 8x30 Stieners.

I have used both 8x42s and 10x42s in the past. Currently I am running 8x42s, but either size will work fine. I prefer the 8x42s and a small spotting scope combo

For me I would not leave the house without my 10x42 leicas and stm 65 spotting scope. As previous posts states, buy the best you can afford.

Depends on how much you want to spend. I've juggled optics for years, and I'm pretty close to my optical ideal now.

8x32 bino for elk hunting - i use a swaro slc
10x42 for open country - I use swarovision
15x56 for long term tripod glassing - i use swaro slc

light weight spotter - I use the nikon ed50
full sized spotter - I don't have one yet.

If I were to have only 2, I'd go 8.5x42 and light weight spotter.

A lot depends on the kind of hunting you do, too.

To save weight and space over having two separate sets of glass, I have been using the Leica Duovid 10+15 for the last several years.

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://dougkoepsel.smugmug.com/
The-Wave-9-15-10edited_210.jpg

I used 10s for yrs but now use 8s and would never go back to 10s. I carry a Nikon ed50 for a light weight scope. Not quite the same as the big scopes in low light but you sure can't beat the light weight.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom