BEST CAL.FOR PIG HUNT

desertpointbrian

Very Active Member
I WILL BE GOING ON MY FIRST WILD PIG HUNT NEXT MONTH IN IDAHO HOW WILD I DO NOT KNOW.AS MY FRIEND IS CONVINCED ME TO GO BUT I WAS WONDERING WHAT CALIBER OF GUN SOME OF YOU GUYS WOULD RECOMMEND. I WAS THINKING A 223 OR 25-06 ANY INFO WOULD BE APRECCIATED ON CALIBER AND WHAT TO EXPECT FROM THE HUNT

a .223 if you plan on shooting them in the ear, 25-06 for behind the shoulder. I hunt pigs every year and I take it all but my favorite to use is the muzzleloader. Shot one with my bow this year at about 10 yards and he spun around and came after me. Dropped the bow, literally, and shot it about 8 times with the Glock .40 to have him die at my feet. Little freaky.

I'VE BEEN CHARGED TWICE....AND IT WILL GET YOUR ATTENTION. I PREFER A .30 CALIBER.....STOPPED A BIG BOAR AT 4-5 FEET WITH A .338 INTO THE CHEST....YOU DONT ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD ANGLE ON A HOG..........YD.

Sort of depends on how you hunt them. Spot and stalk, just use your favorite deer rifle. If you are using dogs, a .44 mag revolver ina shoulder holster is handiest. A lever action 30-30 with open sights would be good with dogs too.

Marley- That is too funny! I'd have loved to see that. Did you need to change you underwear after that? I use my .280 for pigs. I have not taken one with my bow yet but after some of the stories I've heard, a sidearm is a must!

Steve

Take whatever deer rifle you are comfortable with. I do recommend stout bullets and a sharp knife.

I use a .280 as well but the bow is fun even when they do come after you. The funny thing is that was the only time I have ever taken my pistol with me. now it will always be with me. That pig was MAD!!!!

I used a 357 in a win mod 94 lever action, lots of fun. We including bros, dad, used 44, 45 long colt, 45-70 and 38-55 in lever actions. We like our lever actions brings a bit of sport to the hunt but can kill at close range with an upset hog.

Though i've only killed two, both with my blacktail rifle, my buds have killed hundreds and one who was the pig man on Catalena Island for ten years, killed thousands. I like the 25-06 idea, used one on one of my kills at two hundred yds, stoned him. I also have a gun that i've long thought would be excellent in close cover, a model 94 Big Bore Winchester in .375

One of my hunting pards came across a particularly nasty old boar that charged him on sight. My bud shot him with his bow while keeping a brush surrounded tree between himself and the monster. He used up all his arrows yet the pig kept playing ring around the rosie, trying to get at him. Finally, my bud was able to leave, go get more arrows, and come back to a still very much alive and honery pig, to finish the job. They can be very agressive and tough to kill. Know this; They/some will Kill & Eat You if given the chance!

Nothing puts them down like my 338/06. It may be the best pig gun I have used and I have killed many here in California...some really large ones!

TM

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom