Best breed of cattle for...

Roy

Lately, NVBighorn has been lodging some complaints about the quantity of sports related posts here so I thought we could be nice and post a topic that would really interest him. So, since he just loves cows, this is a cow thread. Feel free to post as many pics as you want. There may be some controversial topics here so KEEP IT TO A REASONABLE DEBATE!Q

So what is the best breed of cattle for:

Sparse desert range conditions?

High Mountain range conditions?

High yield rump roast production?

Udder elasticity?

Tongue tenderness?

Cleanest tripe yield?

Recreational travel companion?

Sodomy and other forms of bestiality?

Counting to go to sleep?

Mellowness of moo?

Rocky Mountain giant oyster production?

Just a few for now to get a good discussion going for NVB. Feel free to add whatever you want!

HOOK 'EM! (BEVO IS A STEER AFTER ALL!)

Question
With cattle prices still high and the drought kicking azz from southern Colorado through Texas, why don't ranchers sell instead of paying for feed all summer(and inevitably all winter)?

Why is it when a pasture in overgrazed, broomweed takes over?

Why is it we are talking about cattle instead of looking at girls and talking about the Colts going 0-4?

Best type of cow for breeding...that's a no brainer!! Hell Roy, I'll even throw one in for you!!
9370cowgirl.jpg

9145cowgirl2.jpg

1290roy.jpg

~Z~

Z makes a valuable point. Besides ya can't help but admire them teetees on them little heifers.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

Those little doggies are some prime beef.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Loaded topic here.....

From a profit standpoint, Black Angus, are all around good production stock that require little maint and do well on sparse feed conditions. The market remains strong for this particular breed.

On the other hand, the heffers that Zeke has shown, are easier on the eyes, smell better, feel softer and cuddle well in almost all circumstances. They can provide occasional experiences not found in any other venue on the planet.

They are however, extremly high maint and will rarely, if ever, allow you a profit and will in all likleyhood, keep you in constant debt.

If allowed to complete the breeding cycle, their offspring will invariably add to the maint level and further eliminate any chance at profitability.

As they age, they require more and more maint cost to keep them in show condition and will ultimately end up ornery, demanding and altogether unattractive......in which case, you have to start over with younger stock, repeating the cycle.

The original one you started with, will find this process totally unacceptable, once again elevating your maint cost beyond what you EVER thought possible.

I would stick with the afforementioned Angus and simply RENT the others as required.

Had I taken this advice, 45 years ago, there is no telling what my portfolio would look like today. As it stands, a LONG series of associations with the two legged stock, has left me penniless and destitute.....but alas, the memories!

"If God did not intend for man to hunt animals, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot"

Good insight Nickman. With all of your knowledge of the industry, I am suprised you never pursued a career as a brand inspector.

Thanks Roy. Finally a topic everyone will enjoy. :)

Nickman, you are a wise man.

I have to say that the pictures of the heifers shown here are good examples of both tenderness and udder elasticity. But they might not do well in those Montana winters or desert environments.

>Thanks Roy. Finally a topic everyone
>will enjoy. :)
>
>Nickman, you are a wise
>man.
>
>I have to say that the
>pictures of the heifers shown
>here are good examples of
>both tenderness and udder elasticity.
>But they might not do
>well in those Montana winters
>or desert environments.

I was hoping you would approve! Now see what I mean about stripping the velvet off... oh never mind.

HOOK 'EM!

>ROFLMFAO nickman!! Hence the reason bulls
>need to be snipped into
>steers ;-)
>
>~Z~

It's called changing their mind from a$$ to grass.

Just for you, my fellow Sailor...

>Loaded topic here.....
>
>......

>
>
> They are however, extremly high
>maint and will rarely, if
>ever, allow you a profit
>and will in all likleyhood,
>keep you in constant debt.
>......

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

Actually, my career path was directed more toward actual beef production, AI...artificial insemination, breed quality and that sort of thing.

Had my father "cut" me during about my 8th Spring, I would have owned the Ponderosa.

My problem was, I couldn't resist the two legged species and "taste testing" the insemination site, no matter who the heffer belonged to, led to my downfall.

"If God did not intend for man to hunt animals, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot"

+1 Eel. When this starts, just look for nickman's post and holy S***.
Don you are the man.

Well Rut - I don't know about that but I do know my dad always said he would take the meanest, nastiest, ugliest, stump-broke mare over the best gelding any day! Now I think I know what he meant!

HOOK 'EM!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-11 AT 00:19AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-05-11 AT 11:54?PM (MST)

This is a legit valid question for the subject. If a Black Angus bull breeds a Charlais cow/or heifer is the offspring considered a mousey colored calf? Ang/Char crossbred or a High-Yellow? I bet any good cattleman can answer this one!!

F-pup don't lie, a cocksman, I mean herdsman like you never had to stoop to catching doggie cronic calves back when you were a herd bull. A slick(unbranded) is definitely a true find!!

You should have had your shots up to not catch IBR/BVD. BVD is like AIDs in cattle. A cow exposed to BVDf during pregnancy can even pass it on to her calf depending on the trimester the calf is in. The calf is considered a PI. Calves contract BVD most of the time after birth. Tell tail sign of BVD is bloody scours. IBR is a respiratory condition that leads to pneumonia and eventually leads to health. Cattle that come from sterile environments I.E. west Texas or New Mexico, eastern CO contract this condition easier due to non exposure until sale barns or feedlots. I say that but i have seen numerous loads of calves from the east show up with it. Pretty much sale barn calves and stress have pretty good chances of catching both. Exposure is huge. A good vaccination program is a must.
How deep do you kids want to dive into cattle health:)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-11 AT 00:14AM (MST)[p]On a side note I caught a "un branded" heifer once and decided to ear mark her. When I turned her out to pasture it was hell. She kept hanging around the gate. Kinda wish I never branded her to begin with. I think she was saving being "branded" until she was a "foundation female" for a purebred operation. She had potential, just not the genetics I was looking for. It happens!!

>
>This is a legit valid question
>for the subject. If a
>Black Angus bull breeds a
>Charlais cow/or heifer is the
>offspring considered a mousey colored
>calf? Ang/Char crossbred or a
>High-Yellow? I bet any good
>cattleman can answer this one!!
>

Ok cjboz, I'll bite. What's it called?

[Font][Font color = "green"]Here's my
signature. It's green so no one will think I am
actually saying something related to this post.
[font/]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom