Best Boots for around $100

Ticks N Tines

Very Active Member
I know there are several posts about hutning boots, but most of them end up with the guy buying a $400 pair of Kenetreks or some foreign brand.
I purchased a pair of Lacrosse Buckmasters for $39.99 (Smith and Edwards clearance sale) 5 years ago and I have put 100s of miles on them and they still have life in them. Infact, they are still in decent shape, but leaking a little now. They were awesome boots and I would buy another pair if they still made them.
So now I'm looking for another pair of good boots, but I'm not going to spend $300-$400. I would like to stay around $100, and there are plenty of good boots out there for that price. I have been looking at the Irish Setter boots the most, but there are so many brands I'm not sure what to get.
I do a lot of hiking in rough terrain and snow during the spring. So I'm looking for a good insulated boot (400-800 gr) but still pretty light. Other than that, tons of hiking in summer and fall. You know what's up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
HJB

I have a couple pair of Danners that I really like, I paid under $100 for each on sale. I have really liked both pairs.

I have used the Cabelas outfitter series for years and love them. They are around 160.00 . But we stopped by Cabelas when we went to the expo. Bought a pair for my son on sale for 126.99 ( i think ) They will last for a few years not like the 89.00 boots you buy every year.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-10 AT 01:22PM (MST)[p]I love my cabelas IBEX boots. They're made by meindl. I've owned 2 pairs now. The first pair lasted about 5 years. Cabelas has them listed for $189.99. I got them on sale for $120 ish.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-10 AT 01:16PM (MST)[p]I love my Cabelas boots. I cant remember what I paid but they have worked great over the past 3 years. Sorry can't remember what style as they are covered in mud but I did try and look...Yes right now I am to lazy to clean them..lol

+1 to whiskey.

I'm on my fifth year with my Meindls and have no complaints. Tough, still bone dry, great light weight full height boot. Mine are only 200 grams and I've never had a problem on those deep snow late cow hunts. I paid $119 for them at Cabela's.

HJB:

Wish I could convince you to spend an extra $100 to go with the
Meindl Perfekt....

But I understand and if it were me, I would look at the Cabelas brand that has already been suggested. Hard to beat Cabelas warranty.

Also, if you want a boot that will be used in the summer (as well as the fall), I would look at 200-400 max insulation. You can always use a heavier sock on the winter... Just my opinion.

Look at sportsmans guide. I bought a pair of 800 gram irish setters for 69 bucks and I think they are great boots. After having all gore tex boots I probably won't buy leather again, much lighter and they don't squeek when they get wet.

NO GUTS, NO STORY!!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

You can do what you want but IMO boots are not the place to save $$$. Buy the best. Plenty of other places to save a few bucks, like camo.

I know a guy that goes with the "BEST" stuff.
He has a $50,000 Ford truck
He has $5,000 in Swarovski Optics (And Insurance)
He has a 3,000 Christiansen arms rifle
And I'm sure he has a $500 Boot as well

I on the other hand have:
A little $9,000 Nissan 4x4
About $500 in Vortex Optics
A $600 Ruger Rifle
and now I'm looking at a $100 Boot

Guess what? I saved a bundle and I'm twice the hunter he is.
The best doesn't always have to have a large price tag.
Just my opinion :)

I am on my second pair of Danner Grand Slam GTX boots. I bought a second pair because I wore the soles out before the rest of the boot came apart. I usually split seams long before a sole wears out. They are 400g insulated and are my primary winter work boot (I work outside at 8300ft elevation)and my late fall hunting boot. If it is not cold and wet I hunt in trail hiker shoes, not boots. But when there is snow on the ground or it is really wet I grab the Danners. They retail around $130. I agree with most that boots is not where you want to go cheap, but I have had very good experience with these.

The Danner's are hard to beat and I've had very good success with Merrels. Be sure to get a water proof lining in them. One thing to remember is an extra pound in your shoes is like having an extra 10 pounds on your back. One of my grips with the high end boots are alot of them are very heavy.

> The
>Danner's are hard to beat
>and I've had very good
>success with Merrels. Be sure
>to get a water proof
>lining in them. One thing
>to remember is an extra
>pound in your shoes is
>like having an extra 10
>pounds on your back. One
>of my grips with the
>high end boots are alot
>of them are very heavy.
>

Agreed! That is why I use trail runners/hikers when it is dry!

LOL, HBJ come on 100's of miles???? How many elk did you kill this year :) I have a pair of 8.5 Danners I'll give you for 75 bucks i'm getting some Kenetreke's! P.S. looks like the Wasatch front bucks didn't last a secret very long!

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

Boots are one area where you need to make sure you get the right one.

I'd recommend calling kenetrek and asking them about returns. The gentleman that works there usually has several pair for a great discount.

If you live near cabelas, keep your eye on the bargain cave. They almost always have meindls there, you just have to wait for your size, and something that's not hammered. If you're patient you can find a great deal.

I am on my second pair of Danner Grand Slam GTX boots. I bought a second pair because I wore the soles out before the rest of the boot came apart. I usually split seams long before a sole wears out. They are 400g insulated and are my primary winter work boot (I work outside at 8300ft elevation)and my late fall hunting boot. If it is not cold and wet I hunt in trail hiker shoes, not boots. But when there is snow on the ground or it is really wet I grab the Danners. They retail around $130. I agree with most that boots is not where you want to go cheap, but I have had very good experience with these.

+1 I agree. These boots have been by far my favorite. The only issues I have had with them is that I have had the lace clasp break on a rock but they were quickly replaced. Great boot.

I have paid $200+ for Danners and I won't do it anymore. I bought a pair of Cabelas outfitter boots and found them to be an overall tougher pair of boots for a lot less money. You can find them for less than $150 and if you get a coupon in the mail from Cabelas once in a while you can save an extra $20 or so. I put a nicer insole in mine, and haven't looked back. Best bang for your buck in my opinion, unless you find some killer sale somewhere.

Dax

"LOL, HBJ come on 100's of miles???? How many elk did you kill this year I have a pair of 8.5 Danners I'll give you for 75 bucks i'm getting some Kenetreke's! P.S. looks like the Wasatch front bucks didn't last a secret very long!"

Sure as heck seems like 100s of miles when you don't have horses to haul you everywhere like you do :).
And yes, those buck aren't a very big secret anymore are they? But no big buck can stay a secret in Northern Utah anymore. Too little land to hunt and way too many people.

I'm headed to Sportsmans to check out some Danners and see how they feel.
Thanks for all the help guys
HJB

I've bought two pairs of Kenetrek returns that looked new except for a few scuffs on the soles. I paid about $100 a pair for them.

Great advice on watching the bargain cave (I got a pair of Mendle's brand new 150.00) Calling Kentrek on the returns is a good idea as well. Try and find a good sale on-line or when Sportsmans sells out and upgrades to the newest Danner........ Thanks, Allen Taylor......

People's feet are unique. If you can pull off mail order, that is great. I can't and have to try them on. The best boots I've owned are Vasques. I paid $99.00 for them. If the Danners or other high quality boots don't fit you right or too expensive, check them out. Even if you can afford the high end ones, check them out.

What the heck are the Danner "Grand Slams"??? I just went to Sportmans and checked out the Danner Pronghorn 400 and I really liked them. they are having a 10% off sale on everything in the store too.

I bought a new pair of 8" Danner elk hunters during the Cabelas sale.
They are heavy boots, but for $59.00 they were one Helluva bargain.
HH

Love the Danners. Currently am in some Frontiers, 600 gram, ones before were pronghorns with 400 grams, I think 400 grams is perfect for a hunting boot. The proghorns were a little thin on the leather side but the danners are good boots and you can pick up good ones on cabelas online bargain cave all the time. Also, try Brownings outlet in Morgan, have picked up good boots there too.

>What the heck are the Danner
>"Grand Slams"??? I just went
>to Sportmans and checked out
>the Danner Pronghorn 400 and
>I really liked them. they
>are having a 10% off
>sale on everything in the
>store too.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=210537

I got my first pair at Sportsmans, but they do not carry it anymore. Had to pick up my second pair at Gunnies in Orem.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-10 AT 08:51PM (MST)[p]"What the heck are the Danner "Grand Slams"??? I just went to Sportmans and checked out the Danner Pronghorn 400 and I really liked them"

I do not know anything about the "Grand Slams". However, I did
at one time own a pair of the Pronghorns. They were THE most
terrible boots I have ever owned. Comfortable, yes! However,
after elk hunting in them and having soaking wet feet, they were
soon retired.

My friend had the same brand and same problems. Having said this, there will be a lot of people get on here and defend them. I am just telling you my experience. My dad owns a pair and actually likes them.

Now before anyone blows a gasket remember, It was my experience
and not your :)

Try this link HJB:
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID25/879.html

LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-10 AT 09:25PM (MST)[p]

>LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-10
>AT 08:51?PM (MST)

>
>"What the heck are the Danner
>"Grand Slams"??? I just went
>to Sportmans and checked out
>the Danner Pronghorn 400 and
>I really liked them"
>
>I do not know anything about
>the "Grand Slams". However,
>I did
>at one time own a pair
>of the Pronghorns. They
>were THE most
>terrible boots I have ever owned.
> Comfortable, yes! However,
>after elk hunting in them and
>having soaking wet feet, they
>were
>soon retired.
>
>My friend had the same brand
>and same problems. Having
>said this, there will be
>a lot of people get
>on here and defend them.
> I am just telling
>you my experience. My
>dad owns a pair and
>actually likes them.
>
>Now before anyone blows a gasket
>remember, It was my experience
>
>and not your :)
>
>Try this link HJB:
>http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID25/879.html

I had the same issue with the pronghorn, and the sides blew out within 5 months. Just my experience. If you decide to buy a danner boot make sure its american made, dont buy the boots made over seas you will regret it!

ridgeline outdoors
blacks creek guide gear

I have been a Danner guy for my whole life because of the easy break-in and the good fitment for my foot but It only takes a good hard season to put a pair in the ground. I'm going to drop some cash on a Pair of Kenne's this spring and see how it goes.

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

Schnee's can't be beat. They always have a sale in the fall and at xmas, I think the 13 inchers were going for $99 on sale.

I've worn out a lot of boots over the years. I used to be a big fan of Danners till the quality went down. About 5 years ago I tried Cabela's Master guide boot and have been wearing them ever since. They're $99 and can't be beat.
Wes

After talking to tons of people and looking at a bunch of reviews, I think I'm going to save my money for a few more months and go with the Cabelas Meindl Perfekt.
Thanks everybody for all the input.
9526meindl_perfekt.jpg

I don't think you can go wrong with those. Make sure to spend some good "break in" time in them.

I would like to get really nice pair of boots but my feet just won't stop growing. I grow a size up every year. Right now I'm only thirteen and I wear a size fourteen boot.

I bought a pair of the perfekts two weeks ago and I absolutely love them. I have been on a few hikes to start the break in and they don't take to long to get very comfortable.

I have the cabelas outfitter series- $150 for xtra cold weather and cabelas full draw-$90 for hot to cold weather. I have worn both in az and colorado and have no complaints. Happy hunting
-Sig

Ok here is my input on boots, I went into the Boise cabelas store and ask the shoe guy which were the best/most comfortable boots they had, I didn't even talk about price. His response was hands down the Cabelas Meindl Perfekt, so as soon as I got my tax refund I bought a pair and I can say without a doubt hands down these boots are the best I have ever owned, I have worn them around for two days thinking I would need to break them in. Nope they fit so nice. I have checked out alot of hunting boots and these are the boots for me and I have a feeling once you go try them on you will fall in love with them, if you have not already tried them on??? There is nothing worse then hiking back into bigfoot country only to discover you have blisters and your feet hurt like heck. Very good choice.
Chuck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom