Best Bino for $500?

• Thread starter old_man_of_the_hills
  • Start date
O

old_man_of_the_hills

I was just wondering what everybody thought about a good pair of 10x binos for about $500. Looking at the Wind River Pinnacles or Brunton Externas, but open to suggestions. Also, anybody use Pentax? I bought a spotter for about $800 this fall and love it. If their binos match the performance, then I would be willing to spend that on a pair, but nobody I know uses them.

The Pentax DCF SP's are nice glass for the money. Whatever you decide to buy, I'd suggest you call Doug at Cameraland. He'll give a you a great deal and will help you find the best bino for your needs.

I've had good experience with Pentax as well. I had to send in a pair of less expensive binos 2 weeks before archery elk season (the focus ring had a problem)--I put a note explaining that I needed them back as soon as they could get them to me. I had them 5 days before the season and they were in perfect condidtion again.

I own the Minox BD 10x42 BRs and they are really nice. I too would suggest you talk with Doug at Cameraland regarding your choices.

My Minox binos are much nicer than my buddy's Nikon Monarchs. They are really clear and well built. FWIW, this is my opinion on binos in this price range.

Firehawk

In your price range there are a few quailty optics to choose from.... Minox, Pentax, Vortex, to name three. Please feel free to give me a call amd we can discuss what would be best for you.
Happy New Year

If there is anything else that I can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
212-753-5128
[email protected]
www.cameralandny.com

I have the Eternas and have been VERY happy with them. They are bright and clear to the edges. They are also backed by a great company that really stands behind their products.

thanks for the advice everyone

Doug,

I noticed the pentaxs are on sale now, how much longer will that last, and when is the next sale?

For $569 you could get the cabelas Alaskan guide. I just got a pair and they are awesome. I compared them to a lot of the more expensive glass and preferred them. You can't best the warranty either

I bought the Pentax DCF SP 10X43s last fall from Cameraland just before heading out to WY. The sale price Cameraland is offering right now is a great deal IMO. I went to Cabelas and asked the guy to show me every pair of $500 binoculars he had in the store. After looking thru them and handling them, I narrowed it down to the Pentax and Leupold. I also looked at a pair of Kahles that were around $700 but IMO both the Pentax and the Leupold were better glass for less money. After buying the Pentax I replaced the neck strap with a shoulder harness and hardly noticed I was carrying them. IMO the Pentax are great binos that are easy to focus, very clear, only had a few days of sub-20 degree weather but fogging wasn't much of a problem. If you have a chance to go to store that carries several brands do so and pick the ones that you can see thru the best (clearest, brightest, etc.). Then check Cameraland and other websites for the best price. Cameraland treated me right.

Tim
Searchin' for a 4 X 4

Buddy, my honest advice is, save a little more and get the Swarovski or Leica. Do it if at all possible, you will not regret it. I do understand that sometimes it is NOT possible though.

Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom