Best Alaska Rain Gear

smitty

Very Active Member
I'm headin to Alaska this september for the first time and need to get some good rain gear. What's the best stuff to get? Also feel free to add any advice on the little things to take. Thanks

Helly Hansen no discussion. You might sweat in them, but you won't get wet from rainfall. Also it is about the only thing that will stand up to the brush and what not.
WVBOWAK

Another vote for Helly Hanson. I went up there last september in some APX Torrent and regretted it. HH has an impertech jacket now that's camo'd.

I'll be hunting Dall Sheep, Moose, and Grizzly. Talkeetna, close to Denali. I've got some Cabelas rainpants, fleece evolution? They seem like they'd be really hot hiking after sheep. How are these Helly Hansen pants?

I also have Hansen's but you will definetly get wet from condensation with any excertion. Since your outfitter lives and works there, ask him what he recomends. I'm sure he could supply the best info and product for your trip. And, GOOD LUCK!

I used Sitka's rain gear in Alaska last year and was extremely happy with the performance. Kept me dry and I didn't burn up.

+1 for the Sitka gear, at least the older Sitka gear.
Used it last year in Alaska on a Moose hunt and worked great. We also looked at the H.H. stuff because it had an A+ rating by others, but was bulkier and only came in solid colors then.
The ability to open up the vent zippers on the Sitka gear keeps you from overheating on hikes and the stuff is durable and pretty packable. We had no regrets choosing the Sitka gear.

Helly Hanson Impertech all the way. Get the coat that is long, covering to below your knees and well below the tops of your hip boots (Impertech II Guide Coat, sku#70149). If you get a short jacket you may get wet at the tops of your hip boots. This jacket is actually stretchy , and comfy. Check it at www.hellyhansengear.com

Cabellas Gortex guide wear!! Pricy but can't beat it. Fished in it all day in down pour when it is warm and hunted geese when sub zero. Set on the Ice all day ice fishing. If it is cold throw a something under it. But ya won't sweat or get cold and it don't condense. Ya only need one coat that way. Ya can wear it when it is warm. It has enough pockets for easy acess. Not sure if ya can get camo though.
Tie some bells to your shoes in case you get eaten by a bear. That way we all will hear the bear comming so we don't get eaten.
Take a shotgun for the misquiteos. For a little extra- cricular around camp

Rutnbuck

LAST EDITED ON May-08-10 AT 06:37AM (MST)[p]Anything that isnt PVC WILL LEAK if you get poured on, and its AK, so plan on it.

Get HH, and maybe some lightweight packable goretex rain gear..Anyone that tells you sitka and goretex wont leak, hasnt used it very hard in nasty weather..

There is trade offs to both styles, aint nothing been made yet that is perfect.

I was hiking in 3 straight days of downpour rain in the Sitka and was dry as a bone when I took it off each night. Does that count?

I used Cabela's Rainsuede. Comes in camo, quiet while hunting and breathes. If it's a total, all day downpour, you're going to be trapped in your tent and won't be hunting. If you're out hunting and get caught in heavy rain, it will keep you dry and comfortable until you get back to camp. If the rain is intermittent and light enough to hunt, you can wear it all day. On a nice day, I took mine along in my pack and got soaked to the skin while hiking through the wet alders. After that, I wore it every day as my camo layer. Get the parka for the top and bibs for the bottom to keep the wind and rain out while sitting and glassing.

I've used King's raingear in Alaska and I absolutely loved it. It's breathable so you don't sweat in it. I would never buy raingear that makes you sweat. What's the difference in being wet from sweat or rain? Kings was great and it packs away small in it's own bag.

It's always an adventure!!!

Hey there Smitty, my dad and I are going on a similiar hunt up in AK this fall also.
There's a give and take with raingear. You can get quieter stuff like MT050/EVO/Rainsuede; but it will most likely leak after while, considering the quiet membrane on the outside will get saturated over time. Or you can get PVC/Pac-Lite stuff like HH, Rivers West, Sitka Stormfront, etc....you'll be drier; but you'll have to worry about a little more noise and ventilation.

I bought the Cabela's Alaskan Guidewear set below. It's fully taped, well cut, and is Gore-Tex Pac-Lite membrane which is the same stuff as Sitka Stormfront...only half the price.

[http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...rentType=index&parentId=cat470082&id=0068845]

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

>Another vote for Helly Hanson.
>I went up there last
>september in some APX Torrent
>and regretted it. HH
>has an impertech jacket now
>that's camo'd.

I got some HH ski cloth off overstock.com. Heck of deal and one of the best waterproof jacket/windbreaker.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom