Best .22 rifle

sniper14

Looking at getting my boy a .22 for Christmas. He is only 11. Just wondering what kind to get. What model Ruger / mossberg ect. Also what action bolt/ lever/ auto. Also any other advise that might come in handy

There are many good 22s out there. I would get him a bolt gun though. I think its a great way to teach him safety and also get him comfortable to the step up to a big game rifle.

Ruger 10/22, can't beat it!!! When my son turned 10 I gave him the one I got for X-Mas at his age. I taught him to take his time and not get a rapid finger. Teaching the basics like breathing, aim and position was key. Now if the need comes to fire away, THEN DO IT!!!!

I had the marlin model 60 when i was a kid and still do,
my 7 year old princess also love's shoot'n it,

like the old say'n goes,
the model 60 is like a sore d!ck it's hard to beat.

"if you want some get some...if your bad enough come take some"

Lots of good ones but the one I like best is the Browning lever action. I have had mine for about 35 years they are great guns.

10/22 cut the stock down for him. Down the road when he is bigger buy another stock. Having a gun that fits is really impotant. That stocks are pretty cheap.

10/22 is a great little gun. My son and daughter both have one and we have never had any problems with either.

I started out with the Marlin 60 and loved it. The tube magazine held 17 bullets and was easy to reload before the gun was totally empty.

Either gun would work well. I think the marlin 60 is easier to shoot.

I think a choice like this should be made on a case by case basis. My 12 and 9 year old daughters are patient and methodical, they take their time and make sure everything is right. My 6 year old son is more eager and excited and tends to rush the shot.

I bought a Henry single shot bolt action rifle for all three to shoot and it's perfect. The girls don't care that it can't shoot 30 rounds in a minute and the single shot, bolt action slows thing down to a point where my son focuses more.

I think one of the bigger issues to consider here is how big is your kid, a 10/22 is an awsome gun but it does not fit kids well. Even if you cut the stock down if needs bee they tend to be on the heavy side for kids. I teach hunter safety and one of the biggest problems we see is that the 10/22 is to much gun for kids. I would high recomend the Savage cub. Its a single shot that has the acu triger, best little 22 out there. Weight and size of it is really similar to cricket but built 100 times better.

DeadI/Jared
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

LAST EDITED ON Dec-04-11 AT 10:55PM (MST)[p]i have a marlin bolt action in 17hmr. i love it, it is accurate as can be and fun to shoot. my girlfriends little bro is a small 12 year old, about 80 lbs. he can shoot it just fine. it would be easier if it had open sights though.

I would take a serious look at the single shot bolt action Crickett rifles made by Keystone Sporting Arms Inc. They run about 160 bucks, far cheaper then a Ruger 10/22 which I do not reccommend for a kid's first rifle.
The Crickett rifles are built to fit a kid in stock lenght and weight and even have a key bolt lock out for safe storage to prevent a kid from playing with the rifle and loading it if you maintain the key in a different location.

My grandchildren have three of the rifles and I have targets in my reloading room that have 5 shots in 1/2 inch groups using Eley sporting ammo. The company has a web site where you can look at the many different models and they also sell scope mounts and scopes for a cheap price.

RELH

10-22

My 6 year old shoots it great (with a rest).

If safety or patience and such concerns you with the semi-auto you can single load the clip or use CB's which won't cycle the bolt all the way requiring you to work the action similar to a bolt. Much more versatile than either a single shot or a bolt.

Having said that my kids also have a Rossi break action which has a .22 barrel and a .410 shotgun barrel and I can get other barrels for it so it is pretty versatile also, and small and light.

Bill

Look out Forkie, FTW is watching us!

Bought a Savave Mark II bolt action for my boy last year. Synthetic stock, stainless barell. It is one sweet little gun, wish it was mine. Fiber optic open sights, light and compact for a youth. The bolt action teaches them to make every shot count and is one sweet shooter!

I had a savage auto given to me a couple of years ago and I purchased a Nylon 66 years ago(probably not made any more). Both these guns weren't expensive guns and they way outshoot the Rugers and Browning that we have in the family.

Unless you're heavy into the guns, the 22 you purchase maybe the only one they get before going to the larger caliber. Choose wisely, and don't overlook the cheaper ones. To bad a person can't shoot them first.

I don't know if there is a place where there is a test comparison you need to search the internet. My son's old Nylon 66 outshoots my Grandson's Ruger. Traded guns to shoot and it made no difference. That old 66 enabled me to out shoot the valleys top shooter who had a Browning 22 years ago when we took a class to become a Hunter's Education Instructor. Boy was he upset.

Do your homework before buying, don't go on hear say. There is quite a difference in 22 barrels.

I thought the Marlin 60 was going to get crucified, but thats what i shoot and would recomend. Like any other .22 out there, they jam and stove pipe, etc. I always carry rem oil when i go rabbit hunting, especially on those really cold days. If i forget it, I always have spit and that seems to work well enough to get me through the day.

good luck choosing!

It was a big bodied 2 point. (this is my signature)

I bought the Savage model 93, it has a synthetic stock, Accu-Trigger, free floating barrel and it's bolt action with a 5 round magazine. Nice little plinker.

Bolt action is the way to go... It will teach him how to make every shot count. As a hunter education instructor I see more students struggle with a Ruger 10/22 than any other model. Granted it is a more popular model, but you can get a lemon and when your action is semi-auto it becomes more of a headache than necessary.

You might want to look at the Browning T-Bolt. I love mine. It has an adjustable trigger and is very nice looking. The Ruger 77/22 is a great rifle too, but you will need to put a trigger or have some trigger work done. The stock on the Ruger 77/22 is too large for a young kid.

I learned to shoot on a single shot. You have to take your time and make your shot count, you don't have another one ready to follow up.

If you want a repeater, the Henry Lever Actions are not too pricey and are a blast to shoot.

A lot goes into the definition of best. An extremely-accurate one is a (clip-fed) semi-auto made by Thompson Center. It's no longer made (not cheap) but it's very accurate and not as bad as some of the truly high-dollar guns.

The owner of my local sporting-goods store sold me one and PROMISED he'd give me ALL the money back, if I kept it for a month and didn't like the accuracy.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

I just bought my 8 year old the mossberg tactical 22 for Christmas. Its very light all polymer and has a collapsible stock and has had some good reviews so we will see cool little gun. You can get the 10/22 for a little more and then get a colapsible stock for it if needed, I have a 10/22 and love it gun is very dependable and built very well. My personel favorite is the 77/22 ruger bolt action. Good luck and good choice for a Christmas gift that he can have for a lifetime.

77/22 or Kimber bolt rifle are two of the best. (if you're asking for the best)

The best rifle ever made is the Winchester model 61 pump .22 but it might be too much money to spend for your son...and a bit hard to find.

If you end up with a 10/22 be sure to have a good gunsmith install a new trigger or trigger kit so the kid will be able to accurately shoot it. It's the worst factory trigger on the market but can be vastly improved with a kit.

The 10/22 is by far the most popular. There are hundreds of after-market accessories for that rifle. I own a few of them and with very little work they can be made to be sweet little shooters.

Zeke

I would take a look at the CZ line of .22's. They seem to be as good or better shooting than a lot of others.

JMO,
As a Hunter Safety Instructor and range master for many years my best advise is to start a youngster out with a single shot. The rifle should have a true safety, no hammer and should fit the kid regardless of age. The 10/22 and some of the others mentioned are outstanding weapons.....for experienced shooters. Giving a kid a semi is asking for problems and IMO irresponsible. Youngsters, no matter how bright do not have the experience, impulse control or common sense of a teen age youth or adult. Their brains are not that developed. Yes, I know, there are plenty of teens and adults that have no business handling a semi or for that matter any firearm as I have witnessed on the range more times than I care to remember. My 13 year olds, that have been around and handling firearms for years hunt with pump shotguns and bolt rifles. Yes they have shot semis, but under DIRECT supervision and only when I can give them 100% of my focus. They are not allowed to hunt with them or carry them in the field. They started with single shot rifles and shotguns. I required that they learn to shoot rifles with open sights first, then peeps and later after proving to be proficient with those I put scopes on their rifles. When I moved them up to the pumps I started them with one shell at a time and then progressed to additional shells after they were fluent with the operation of the new weapon.
JMO

Norkal

INVEST IN LEAD FOR THE TIMES AHEAD!

NORKALNIMROD, you've said exactly what I believe. Teach them to shot accurately, a bullet at a time, open sights, etc. Let them hit a 5000 targets with a single shot and open sights and they will be shooters the rest of their lives. BB gun, then pellet gun, single shot .22, 410/20 guage, twelve guage, bolt action center fire. Then a semi with a scope and your good to go. (by then they won't have much use for a semi however.)

Excellent recommendation, IMO.
DC

That's great advice. Since the dad will be there, at all times, with undivided attention, ANY rifle could be a single shot.

After they've shot a dozen cartons (not boxes) then they will have greater respect for the gun and perhaps be ready for a bit more responsibility.

Just my 2 cents
Zeke

+1 Zeke

Buy one gun that you think they will always enjoy (numerous great choices above) and since you will be there to supervise you can single load any clip or ensure he does only that and as he progresses you can move to 2 or more rounds.

ANY gun can be made into a single shot if you only put ONE round in it. Then you only buy once and save money for bullets and a hunting rifle later.

Bill

Look out Forkie, FTW is watching us!

I fully agree with the last four posts regarding starting with a single and working up after plenty of supervised practice!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom