Beginner in Southern CA

Zim

Very Active Member
My step-son just took up archery and I am trying to give him some guidance as far as his first hunting opportunities if he lives in San Diego area (Oceanside). I live in Illinois and the only thing I know about CA is there are lots of people and very little public land worth hunting. I am getting him lined up to apply for bonus points in CO, AZ & NV for everything. We will apply for NM elk this fall.

Of course I'll also get him applying for points in CA, although I don't apply there myself so will have to study up. Are there any mule deer units with low quality/good numbers for him to set as a goal for his first deer hunt?

He may fly back here to hunt Illinois public land in the fall. I am an experienced public land hunter here. I take a P&Y about every year so I am thinking his best opportunity this year will be with me.

Is there any small game hunting or anything he can cut his teeth on in SO CAL?

Thanks.

That is hiliarious!......"lot's of people and very little public land worth hunting"

52% of Calif is public land. 4% of Ill. is public land and the population density is almost equal in either state......except that Ca is probably 4 times larger than Ill.

I'm sure, with some research he will be able to find somewhere to hunt. Ask around where he lives, visit a few sporting goods stores, go to a trap and skeet club.

Like anywhere else, you need to get a feel for what is close to where you are.

"whackin' a surly bartender ain't much of a crime"

I am suspecting any decent public land deer hunting in Cali is going to be on limited draw permits only? There may only be a small % here but 99% of access in unlimited bowhunting and it supports a high density of deer. As mentioned, I've been able to take P&Y deer every year with little competition. I am suspecting that will not be the case for my step-son there?

He should look into the "archery only" tag. There's a lot of public land you can hunt in SoCal and with the archery only tag you have lots of options and a long season with some rut hunts! The archery success rates are low but there are guys that kill bucks every year in SoCal. It just takes some time to figure them out.

+1 on the AO tag. If you have a great place back in Ill. then that would be your son's best opportunity at a kill shot quickly. Your son can get some blacktails in So. Ca but he will not learn the country and deer habits overnight.

Sounds like you have your area "dialed in" so I think your son would be best served by learning his local area to make quick weekend hunts more often BUT you have your answer in your back yard.."his best opporutinity because of deer density and your knowledge of hunting areas and game" is back home in Ill...

)))).......>

Kudos Nickman!

The California stereotypes are truly unbelievable.

I don't know much about SoCal, but look at the huge B zones up north.
More wild country than you could cover in a lifetime tons of it National Forest.
OTC tags & a 2 buck limit and several Boone & Crockett bucks taken annualy.
The country might be a tad more rugged than what you're used to back in Illinois though.

tf.jpg

mn.jpg

tr1lm4.jpg

5-10.jpg

>I am suspecting any decent public
>land deer hunting in Cali
>is going to be on
>limited draw permits only?
>There may only be a
>small % here but 99%
>of access in unlimited bowhunting
>and it supports a high
>density of deer. As
>mentioned, I've been able to
>take P&Y deer every year
>with little competition. I
>am suspecting that will not
>be the case for my
>step-son there?

There is a good amount of deer in Cali you just got to hike for em'

There are a few spots that are great in San Diego county for archery deer.
I would suggest hunting within the city limits. There is a great canyon between Mira Mesa and Penasquitos. I have taken two deer with my bow. You will see "bunny huggers" walking the trails but don't worry about them.
I was carrying a doe out several years ago when a couple of mountain bikers came by, and when I got to my truck there were 2 cop cars waiting for me. Evidently one of the mtn. bikers called and said I was shooting a gun at deer within the city limits....not so! The cop was thankfully impressed that I had taken a deer with my bow. After questioning me about shots fired and a quick inspection of my truck the cop said you are not breaking any laws by hunting with a bow inside city limits.
He was also kind enough to validate my deer tag.
So good luck.
Paul
"Nice Rack" Taxidermy

5535robinhood.jpg

Check it out my step-son got a robinhood from 20 yards his first time going to a shooting range. This was at Performance Archery. He also sent me a photo of 1" grouping of three arrows.
4639pingpong.jpg

Then his second time at a range was yesterday at Balboa Park and he hit this ping pong ball on his 5th shot from 20 yards.

He's off to a nice start.

LOTS of opportunity to bowhunt the Southern half of the state. Tell him to join the nearest archery club and meet fellow hunters, etc. It's good way to learn some hunting opportunities. There are also a few archery pro-shops in the area that he can buy equipment from and get hunting advice as well. Taxidermists are another good resource in the area.

The California Bowmen Hunters has archery record books for sale as well. There's a lot of information on where animals are being taken currently (county).....this can help him narrow his search.

BOHNTR )))---------->

There is a good wild pig population in East County. There is good population near the Cuyapaipe Resevoir reservation and there is public adjoining to res... If you want him to cut his teeth... There is also a long and liberal rabbit season beginning July first. There is great quail, and dove hunting too. There is also a draw hunt for Pheasant in that area. So there is alot of hunting opportunity. I believe that if he buys a D15 tag which he can get over the counter. Which is near his home. He can also get a second tag if he does not draw a premium tag. Check out the J 12 post in this forum for a youth hunt. He can also hunt D13 and D 11 with a D15 tag which are further north but give him alot of public land to hunt. Hope that helps

>There is a good wild pig
>population in East County. There
>is good population near the
>Cuyapaipe Resevoir reservation and there
>is public adjoining to res...
>If you want him to
>cut his teeth... There is
>also a long and liberal
>rabbit season beginning July first.
>There is great quail, and
>dove hunting too. There is
>also a draw hunt for
>Pheasant in that area. So
>there is alot of hunting
>opportunity. I believe that if
>he buys a D15 tag
>which he can get over
>the counter. Which is near
>his home. He can also
>get a second tag if
>he does not draw a
>premium tag. Check out the
>J 12 post in this
>forum for a youth hunt.
>He can also hunt D13
>and D 11 with a
>D15 tag which are further
>north but give him alot
>of public land to hunt.
>Hope that helps

D-16 tag, and if you call 2 pigs taken in 2 years by aprox 1000 hunters good then I guess its a good population, I live here and hunt extensively, the hunting is great it's the killing that's weak, lots of coyotes, tell your son to hunt the Lagunas off sunrise highway and the backside of same out of pine valley, have him email me if he want's a tour , Bill [email protected]

one thing about CA is lots of OTC tags, long seasons and you get 2 deer. The deer are here but you really gotta hunt 'em.
Tough terrain in San Diego County public lands and they are pressured big time.

>There are a few spots that
>are great in San Diego
>county for archery deer.
>I would suggest hunting within the
>city limits. There is a
>great canyon between Mira Mesa
>and Penasquitos. I have taken
>two deer with my bow.
>You will see "bunny huggers"
>walking the trails but don't
>worry about them.
>I was carrying a doe out
>several years ago when a
>couple of mountain bikers came
>by, and when I got
>to my truck there were
>2 cop cars waiting for
>me. Evidently one of the
>mtn. bikers called and said
>I was shooting a gun
>at deer within the city
>limits....not so! The cop was
>thankfully impressed that I had
>taken a deer with my
>bow. After questioning me about
>shots fired and a quick
>inspection of my truck the
>cop said you are not
>breaking any laws by hunting
>with a bow inside city
>limits.
>He was also kind enough to
>validate my deer tag.
>So good luck.
>Paul
>"Nice Rack" Taxidermy

there is no place within City limits where it is legal to hunt.
The canyons you describe are open space preserves where hunting is specifically outlawed. Would be nice as there are a lot of deer in the City limits.

A lot of what has been said here is true. But if I was starting a kid out I would put them in for the Round Valley junior hunt(J12) every year they were eligible. Most of the other hunts mentioned are OTC so you can still hunt when not drawn. I think the best hunting "experience" hunts will be found in Nor-Cal as the earlier post was saying but a whitetail hunter from Illinois may have a tough time going in blind. You will be better served taking the young hunter to places you feel comfortable with and teaching them that way. If they don't have someone local who is willing to be involved with their hunting they are going to be traveling to hunt anyhow so make the hunts worth it. A few more bucks but worth it. But still apply for J12- a once in a lifetime buck is possible!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom