bears and fawns

patea

we have had black bear reintroduced here several years now and a declining whitetail pop has ensued, i never considered it but a trail camera was placed at a bear den and fourteen different fawns were brought in by the sow to her two cubs, i was told the only thing that can smell well enough to locate a newborn fawn is a bear. is that true or do coyotes smell just as well. i hated bears before because they are a nuisance tearing into everything such as feeders and trash but now i really hate them, oh yeah we have no season because game and fish list them as endangered in our area even though we get ten in one trail cam pic. anyone else documented this kind of fawn mortality with bears

Bears have an extremely sensitive sense of smell. Their noses contain the highest number of scent receptors of any animal. It is said that the sense of smell on a bear is several times stronger than that of a bloodhound.

Not exactly addressing your question, but I was told by the former hunt manager for the Valles Caldera that a study was done regarding why the Valles Caldera had such a low calf elk survival rate. It was the second lowest in the state. The end result of the study concluded the influx of bears into the area during calving season contributed to more than 50% of the calf mortality. Coyote was the next largest percentage. They estimated the bear population more than doubled from the resident population during calving season.

Not saying whitetail deer fawns are as vulnerable as elk calves, but I would guess bears have a significant impact on fawn survival rates.

Bears, yotes,lions, wolves are all hard on the deer/ fawn population when bears come out of hibernation the eat on grass to help jump start there digestive system then turn to running down fawns,I think lions and yotes are worse than bears though.

In the Spring time here in SE Idaho, I concentrate my bear calling in the elk calving areas. Use a Hoochie Mama, regular cow call, or diaphragm to simulate a calf in distress. I can guarantee a bear every trip, and my best day is 6 of them before noon. Yes, they definitely key in on that food source!!!!

I used to work for a logging company that worked primarily in a large game refuge . Every spring there would be new born fawns everywhere you looked . Within a week , you couldn't find a fawn if you tried , but the woods were covered in bear crap that was full of red and white hair . During that week it wasn't uncommon to see 10 bears per day , the rest of the logging season you would be lucky to see 2 or 3 bears total .

YES....BEARS ARE THE WORST ON FAWN SURVIVAL. THEY SIMPLY PUT THERE ACUTE NOSE TO THE GROUND AND ITS ALL OVER FOR THE DEER, AND ELK CALF. YOTES ARE NOT AS BAD, NOT GOOD EITHER. I WOULD BE POPPING BEARS IF YOU WANT A DECENT SURVIVAL RATE....................YD.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom