Bear spray or .44 cal

F

FirstElkHunt

i dont see anyone write about bear problems but i know they will out there. so which of these is better protection? should i take both? if i have to shoot one should i aim for the head or body?

if youre in danger from a charging bear, you probably arent going to get a an ideal shot, or a shot at all. youll have a pissed off, fast, powerful animal coming at you full tilt. pray that the noise of your .44 spooks it while you are "trying" to get a shot off. id aim right below the head/neck and hope to hit some vitals. leave the spray for the birkenstock wearing herbivores:)

dont listen to that dummy. he's the kind of guy youll read about who was picking flowers on the trail, and a bear mawled his a$$.

its NEVER a bad idea to be cautious and prepared.

I think pepper spray is for making you tastier to the bear. If you don't want to be mauled I'd use a 44 if in griz country, or a 357 for blacks will work fine.

statistics show your 80 times more likely to die of a bee sting then from a black bear, so unless your prowlin around in grizzly country I would'nt worry about it, but if you are then a .44 an nothing less

If you pack your pistol make sure you file the front sight's off. When the bear take's the gun from you and shove's it in your a$$ it won't hurt as bad.

Hey DF how bout you get prepared by sitting and spinning on you pistol. Is your mom gonna be mad your using her computer again.

thanks for the advice. we will be in unit 27. are there any grizzlies in there?

firstelk hunter...

You can see that some guys have a pretty different view on this. I personally don't pack heat when bow hunting... But I do if I am packing Stock. Personally I am more worried about gettign my head kicked in by a mule with a broken leg than mauled by a bear. that being said, my buddy always packs a gun. and like i said, I do sometimes as well. It makes him feel better so that is fine with me.

By the way. I Have been "charged" by a bear while elk hunting. I believe he was looking for a meal, as I was in the middle of a heard of elk, trying to call in a big bull. I was not super intrested in killing the bear and figured it was possible that he was not looking for an elk or me to eat. I decided he could walk if he did not come towards me when I cow called...... he came and I mean fast. I drew my bow the instant he started at me from 30 yards and shot him at about 5 feet. one blade clipped his chin and the arrow came out just under his butthole. I stepped to the side and he crashed right by me, and fell about 10 feet past me.... not sure i could have done it any faster with a pistol. I mean what are you going to do walk around hunting with a cocked and locked pistol all day? sure it is possible but I got enough elk calls, binos, range finder, water bottles, gps, raido, wind indicators on and on already hanging off my pack. I am just not affraid of the dark or what comes out after dark. Don't get me wrong, I have a healthy dose of respect for those critters, but I don't sit around wondering if one is going to jump out from behind evry log. it is just not the case.
If you decide to pack a gun, my advice is to shoot solid hard cast bullets. Not hollow points. yes the Hp will do some damage, but not even a small % of the penetration. and if you just gotta shoot something that is eating you, it will likely not be a good shot, and penetration and or bone breaking is what you are after in that case. Hollow points are for shooting people.
I have killed big bears with a 357, 44 mag, and a 45 auto. I know for a fact that a 357 with a solid will penetrate a bears skull if shot from the side at point blank range while chewing on you buddies leg. I also know that a 45 auto with a solid will break the shoulder of a bear from 10 yards. though not an ideal round, you can put a lot of lead down range in a hurry. point is, that it will likely change the mind of a bear or what ever from wanting to bite you anymore.

good luck.

Here's what the experts recommend:

beware_bears.jpg

im taking the .44 and no spray. that is very funny brymoore. ill keep that in mind. thanks again guys (girls, women) for the advice. how many females participate in this forum?

Never been attacked or shot 3 bears in one day from 5 feet or less... but, I like the idea of packing my .44 better than bear spray. The other consideration for me is that the .44 has multiple uses besides bear protection... The only other use I know of for pepper spray is with salt on my morning eggs... and I can't say I'm too fond of that recipe.

I forgot, there is one other use for bear spray. If you get lost in the woods and you're trying to help the search crew locate you, spray the canister in to the air 3 times quickly.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom