Bear or wolf problem in Yellowstone

No doubt the bear has to work harder now with the wolf. 2 years ago I was in Yellowstone watching a pack of wolf eating on a bison carcas. Well here came a big old grizz and took over the kill. He had a fight on his hand but there were only 4 wolf. I would think a larger pack would have gave him a run for his money. He was a big bear.
Rutnbuck

6507dsc03165.jpg

Wyoming Game and Fish participated in a TV show about wolves and grizzlies in Wyoming a year or two ago on the vs. channel. If memory serves me correctly, the biologists from Wyoming and Fish and Wildlife stated that almost 100% of the wolf kills in the park were eventually taken over by a grizzly. They made reference that the wolves are helping the grizzly population increase since grizzlies are such an opportunistic scavanger. It appears the Northern Yellowstone elk herd is hit harder than other herds from wolves and this is where this attack happened so it may be a different story. However, south of Yellowstone it looks as though the grizzly population is increasing. Game and Fish has captured and relocated 3 grizzlies this summer from the Pinedale area.

When talking about grizzly bears being able to take carcasses or kills away from wolves this would certainly only apply to adult bears without cubs at their side. While the adults do just fine against wolves what is a sow to do when she has cubs at her side? I believe her only option, as they are now learning, is to move away from wolves. This will only exacerbate the problem as sows with cubs are moving away from wolves, in essence, expanding their range. This will continue to be a problem as it will only increase the occurrence of grizzly bear/human conflicts. When these conflicts occur, neither outcome is good, usually it results in a dead sow and orphaned cubs as well as someone being killed or seriously injured. For those that do not understand the current grizzly bear management process, one dead sow with three cubs counts as four deaths. This is unfair in that some natural mortality will most likely have occurred to some of the cubs but since it was human caused they all count against the mortality quota. This will only further complicate future attempts at delisting grizzly bears.

why can't it be both, more predators less game = predator problems, I guess whichever one bites into you while your up there is going to be the bigger problem atleast the Grizz will run from you the wolves just set out of range and look at you like your food

Funny thing is when I was in college I took zoology. I remember the whole predator/prey cycle. You have an excess number of prey species, suddenly as if by magic their starts to be more predators. The predators eat their way through the prey, lowering their numbers, causing the excessive numbers of predators to starve to death. The lower number of predators allows for the prey to increase their numbers, causing the number of predators to also increase and so on and so on. By introducing man into the equation he limits the predators, and the prey which balances the cycle so that there isn't the highs and lows. The damn wolf lovers, by allowing them to overrun their prey(carrying capacity) will lead to disease and starvation of the very animal they claim to love. We can have both elk and wolves and bears and deer, but we can't control the deer and elk via hunting, and allow the others to run wild. Because there isn't the high end of the predator prey cycle in regards to prey because we limit the numbers, you thusly can't have predators on the high end or your eco system is out of balance. In an environment that is completely wild(pre man) the predator/prey cycle swings back and forth, excess then starvation, over and over. However with man, the cycle doesn't have its highs and lows in the prey, so it can't have them in the predators either. Wolves aren't evil, nor are bears, but they aren't sacred either. Let me hunt elk, deer, bears, and wolves. Funny how we hunt elk, ducks, whitetails, coyotes, cougars, etc. and there numbers keep bouncing off all time highs. Species that the enviros are "protecting" seem to be dying off and/or strugling to survive. Perhaps our way of doing things is more productive and thusly conductive to healthy populations, perhaps us rednecks might know a thing or two. Perhaps, and this is just a thought, there are all these animals here in the west because we watch out for them and yes even kill them, and there aren't in San Francisco, New York, etc because they were loved to death?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom