Bear Kills Durango Woman

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
From the Durango Herald::

A 39-year-old woman was found dead Friday night off U.S. Highway 550 near Trimble, north of Durango, after what Colorado Parks and Wildlife officials believe was a bear attack.

An autopsy on the woman will be performed by the La Plata County coroner early next week, said Jason Clay, Northeast Region public information officer with CPW, in an interview with The Durango Herald. The coroner’s office will identify the remains and determine the official cause of death.

The woman, a Durango resident, was believed to have gone walking with her two dogs earlier Friday, according to information provided to the La Plata County Sheriff’s Office by her boyfriend, Clay said. The victim had last communicated with her boyfriend late in the morning.

The boyfriend, whose name has not been released, told the Sheriff’s Office he returned home around 8:30 p.m. and discovered the two dogs outside their home, but the woman was missing. He started searching for her and found her body around 9:30 p.m. He then called 911 to report the incident.

CPW wildlife officers responded and observed signs of consumption on the body and an abundance of bear scat and hair at the scene, Clay said.

La Plata County Sheriff’s deputies assisted in the investigation. CPW called in a dog team from the U.S. Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services to search the area.

The dog team quickly found a sow (female) black bear with two yearlings nearby. The bears were euthanized and are being taken to CPW’s Wildlife Health Lab in Fort Collins, where a necropsy is scheduled for Saturday night, Clay said.

“Anytime there’s an attack on a human, our policy is to put those bears down,” he said. “Our No. 1 job is always to keep human health and safety in mind.”

DNA evidence from the bears and the scene will be sent to Laramie for testing at the Wyoming Game and Fish Wildlife Forensic & Fish Health Laboratory.

“That could determine absolutely these were the bears that were responsible,” Clay said. “There was a lot of bear sign right at the scene from the consumption on the body that took place, bear scat, bear tracks and the dog team that we called in to aid in the search from the USDA Wildlife Services found the bears right in the area. So we’re confident, but the DNA can prove that definitively.”

“Bear attacks are extremely rare,” said Cory Chick, CPW Southwest Region manager, in a CPW news release. “This is a tragic event and a sad reminder that bears are wild and potentially dangerous. Out of an abundance of caution, the bears were removed for public safety. We ask the public to report any encounter with an aggressive bear to CPW.”

Chick asked the public to avoid the area as the CPW investigation with La Plata County continues. Wildlife officers worked throughout the night and into the morning to process the scene, looking for evidence to corroborate it was a wildlife attack.

An examination of the sow’s teeth led wildlife officers to believe she over 10 years old.

CPW has received a few reports from the Durango area of bears becoming active this spring. The majority of these have been sighting reports. On April 19, a resident along the Animas River and La Plata County Road 250 captured a single bear on his game camera and reported that the bear tore down his bird feeder. On March 23, CPW received a report of a bear getting into trash east of Durango off Florida Road.

“It is important that people report bear encounters to us, especially aggressive bear encounters,” Clay said.

Staying safe around bears
Bears are active statewide, and it is important for people to familiarize themselves with what to do when they do encounter a bear and what they need to do should they find themselves in an aggressive situation, Clay said.

“These are wild animals,” he said, “and bears are dangerous animals.”

Encounters with bears can often be avoided by making one’s presence known.

“Make noise as you go when you’re out walking your dogs or on the trail,” he said. “Go with a buddy when you can, that’s a good way to continue to keep making noise.”

Deterrents, such as bear spray and air horns are effective at keeping bears away, Clay said.

“If you do have an encounter with a bear or you surprise a bear on the trail, you want to stand still, stay calm, let the bear identify you and leave,” he said. “Talk to it in a normal tone of voice. Be sure that the bear has an escape route. You don’t ever want to run from a bear or climb a tree. If you see cubs in the area, the mother is usually close by, and that’s an area that you want to leave immediately.”

If a bear doesn’t leave after you come across it, stand still, make yourself look bigger, wave your arms slowly overhead and talk calmly to that bear.

“You can slowly back away from the bear,” he said. “If the bear approaches you and starts to act aggressively, it could be a food-conditioned bear potentially. It’s rare, but bears can get aggressive, so you want to continue standing your ground, yell and throw small rocks in the direction of that bear.

“In the cases where a bear attack happens, you need to fight back with everything that you’ve got. Do not play dead.”

Most all Black Bears will haul ass when they see you, BUT if one comes after you its for one purpose, to eat you. Always carry in bear country.

VERY close to home. My wife and I have had several face to face encounters while we were at our cabin. Luckily so far the worst has been jaw snapping.

We have two german shepherd sized dogs along also. I wonder what kind of dogs this poor woman had?

Most all Black Bears will haul ass when they see you, BUT if one comes after you its for one purpose, to eat you. Always carry in bear country.
Unless someone is trained to be accurate in fight or flight situations, an airhorn or bear spray is a better deterrent.

In this case, bear spray would have worked.

I came across a sow and her cub up in a tan oak tree a few years ago. The sow bailed out of the tree and headed for parts unknown as fast as she could run. Eventually the cub came down and took off in another direction. I guess not all mothers are equal.

From the Durango Herald::

A 39-year-old woman was found dead Friday night off U.S. Highway 550 near Trimble, north of Durango, after what Colorado Parks and Wildlife officials believe was a bear attack.

An autopsy on the woman will be performed by the La Plata County coroner early next week, said Jason Clay, Northeast Region public information officer with CPW, in an interview with The Durango Herald. The coroner’s office will identify the remains and determine the official cause of death.

The woman, a Durango resident, was believed to have gone walking with her two dogs earlier Friday, according to information provided to the La Plata County Sheriff’s Office by her boyfriend, Clay said. The victim had last communicated with her boyfriend late in the morning.

The boyfriend, whose name has not been released, told the Sheriff’s Office he returned home around 8:30 p.m. and discovered the two dogs outside their home, but the woman was missing. He started searching for her and found her body around 9:30 p.m. He then called 911 to report the incident.

CPW wildlife officers responded and observed signs of consumption on the body and an abundance of bear scat and hair at the scene, Clay said.

La Plata County Sheriff’s deputies assisted in the investigation. CPW called in a dog team from the U.S. Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services to search the area.

The dog team quickly found a sow (female) black bear with two yearlings nearby. The bears were euthanized and are being taken to CPW’s Wildlife Health Lab in Fort Collins, where a necropsy is scheduled for Saturday night, Clay said.

“Anytime there’s an attack on a human, our policy is to put those bears down,” he said. “Our No. 1 job is always to keep human health and safety in mind.”

DNA evidence from the bears and the scene will be sent to Laramie for testing at the Wyoming Game and Fish Wildlife Forensic & Fish Health Laboratory.

“That could determine absolutely these were the bears that were responsible,” Clay said. “There was a lot of bear sign right at the scene from the consumption on the body that took place, bear scat, bear tracks and the dog team that we called in to aid in the search from the USDA Wildlife Services found the bears right in the area. So we’re confident, but the DNA can prove that definitively.”

“Bear attacks are extremely rare,” said Cory Chick, CPW Southwest Region manager, in a CPW news release. “This is a tragic event and a sad reminder that bears are wild and potentially dangerous. Out of an abundance of caution, the bears were removed for public safety. We ask the public to report any encounter with an aggressive bear to CPW.”

Chick asked the public to avoid the area as the CPW investigation with La Plata County continues. Wildlife officers worked throughout the night and into the morning to process the scene, looking for evidence to corroborate it was a wildlife attack.

An examination of the sow’s teeth led wildlife officers to believe she over 10 years old.

CPW has received a few reports from the Durango area of bears becoming active this spring. The majority of these have been sighting reports. On April 19, a resident along the Animas River and La Plata County Road 250 captured a single bear on his game camera and reported that the bear tore down his bird feeder. On March 23, CPW received a report of a bear getting into trash east of Durango off Florida Road.

“It is important that people report bear encounters to us, especially aggressive bear encounters,” Clay said.

Staying safe around bears
Bears are active statewide, and it is important for people to familiarize themselves with what to do when they do encounter a bear and what they need to do should they find themselves in an aggressive situation, Clay said.

“These are wild animals,” he said, “and bears are dangerous animals.”

Encounters with bears can often be avoided by making one’s presence known.

“Make noise as you go when you’re out walking your dogs or on the trail,” he said. “Go with a buddy when you can, that’s a good way to continue to keep making noise.”

Deterrents, such as bear spray and air horns are effective at keeping bears away, Clay said.

“If you do have an encounter with a bear or you surprise a bear on the trail, you want to stand still, stay calm, let the bear identify you and leave,” he said. “Talk to it in a normal tone of voice. Be sure that the bear has an escape route. You don’t ever want to run from a bear or climb a tree. If you see cubs in the area, the mother is usually close by, and that’s an area that you want to leave immediately.”

If a bear doesn’t leave after you come across it, stand still, make yourself look bigger, wave your arms slowly overhead and talk calmly to that bear.

“You can slowly back away from the bear,” he said. “If the bear approaches you and starts to act aggressively, it could be a food-conditioned bear potentially. It’s rare, but bears can get aggressive, so you want to continue standing your ground, yell and throw small rocks in the direction of that bear.

“In the cases where a bear attack happens, you need to fight back with everything that you’ve got. Do not play dead.”
If I was the boyfriend I think the first thing I would do is shoot the two dogs. Talk about worthless.

Me thinks you guys are right about mama NORMALLY running off, BUT...the lady might have got between the sow & the cubs, thus prompting the attack.

I have had two experiences with sows & cubs. One, in Colo., was one of those "oh sh!t" moments.

In the early 1980s, a few friends & I were elk huning just outside Pagosa Springs. It was the day before the season, and I decided to take a short scouting walk. I took my binocuars but didnt take a rifle. As I topped an open hillside, I immediately saw two cubs to my left. They weren't very big. By their size, they appeared to have been born the previous spring. I quickly realized I could be in trouble & started looking for mama. A few seconds later, she stood up on her hind legs. She was right of me, about 30 yds. away. That's when I muttered "oh sh!t."

I froze for a a couple seconds, then decided to slowly back away in the direction I had come from, which would leave mama a clear path to her babies. It worked. She dropped down, ran to the cubs and took them off into the woods.

The other incident happened on a spring bear hunt in BC. My guide & I were walking along an old logging road when we saw two cubs race across the road about 25 yds. in front of us. We immediately stopped, knowing mama bear would be close behind. Sure enough 10 secs. later, she came out on to the road, looked at us standing there and continued on. The cubs had stopped only a few yards into the trees. When she caught up to them, she swatted one of them in the ass, and it immediately launched itself up a tall pine tree. The other one followed, but mama took off, no doubt feeling her kids were protected until she returned for them. We quickly moved past the spot, continuing on to our destination.

Prior to those incidents I had several unexpected run-ins with single bears, mostly during the mid-1970s. I was guiding hunters & fishermen in the Weminuche Wilderness near Durango, and we also spent many summer weekends moving USFS trail-crew camps in the wilderness. The crews would work about 5 miles of trail per week, then move to the next 5 miles. They would walk & we would pack their camp on horses to drop off at a designated spot. During all the miles I put in on horseback over three years, I came across at least 10 bears, but none were any closer than about 100 yards.

The other close encounter took place in AZ in 1965 during a spring turkey hunt on the White Mt. Apache res. Back then, hunting was regulated by the AZGFD, not the tribe. Both turkey & bear permits were sold OTC. I had one of each. So I filled my turkey tag the first day, but my partner didn't. While he continued to hunt, I decided to varmint call in an area where I had seen fresh lion tracks. Ten mins. after I started blowing a Circe jackrabbit call that had been given to me by the guy who made them, a nice boar blackie sauntered under my perch on a flat rock about 15' below me, and I dispatched him.

He's still on the wall...

8496newertr1[1].jpg

Last edited:
In my State we kill twice as many black bears on 25% of the land area as Colorado. I have never heard of anyone being killed by a black bear.

One difference is we hunt them with dogs and dog training season on private land is year around. There isn't very many bears that haven't a pack of hounds on them at some point in their life. They have pretty much learned to fear man. Bear tags are over the counter.

I came across a sow and her cub up in a tan oak tree a few years ago. The sow bailed out of the tree and headed for parts unknown as fast as she could run. Eventually the cub came down and took off in another direction. I guess not all mothers are equal.
Black bears do that. Sows will tree the Cubs, but don't go far. I've seen that, and I've seen them just run off. But, it only takes that one bear to make things interesting. Took a bluff charge from a black bear sow with cubs feeding on an unrecovered archery killed elk. Literally 20 feet away when she stopped with jaws popping. I'm a lot more careful with black bears now. mtmuley

I’m a local and I know the bears in Durango are way too comfortable with humans. The bears are always on the campus digging through trash and the students think they are just large raccoons. I’m sure this killer bear has history with other humans.
When we owned our resort at Vallecito, we often had them visit our dumpster. We owned two dogs, so I would let them out and the bears would leave quickly. Then one spring we had one that was oblivious to the dogs. So before our tourist season started, I had the local CPW officer, who was a friend, bring in a culvert trap. Caught a fat boar that night and hauled him off to Spring Creek for release the next day.

Last edited:
They used to relocate a lot of problem bears in NM to unit 2. Unit 2 is just a "stone's throw" from Durango.

And 200" mule deer are killed for being who they are as well...
not even a close comparison. A 200” deer is killed because it’s deer season and you have a tag. It’s not being killed for eating your rose bushes.

There’s zero evidence a bear will keep killing people after it’s killed one. Such a sad outcome for all parties involved.

#blacklivesmatter

Shhhhh!

We’re trying to leave politics out of the threads these days so that our threads don’t get nuked and we can continue to banter back and forth on non-political useless comments. ?

A proposal in Idaho to remove 90% of the wolf population has been started. Proposals to hunt Grizzlies have been started but keep getting shut down for the Yellowstone spillover population.
Hound hunting has been stopped in many states for bear hunts, and baiting is being attacked everywhere by the Antis. As so many have said on MM threads - sportsman activities are in the crosshairs.

Just because there isn't any evidence doesn't mean it has never happenes
If fws allowed the bear to live and it did kill another human I imagine there would be a lawsuit by the deceased family
Colorado has too many people as is. Would a few human eating bears make a difference? Not likely. No need to kill those bears. Hell we don’t even kill humans that kill other humans. Should give the bears a trial and put them in the zoo for 30 years...

Colorado has too many people as is. Would a few human eating bears make a difference? Not likely. No need to kill those bears. Hell we don’t even kill humans that kill other humans. Should give the bears a trial and put them in the zoo for 30 years...
That will be next

not even a close comparison. A 200” deer is killed because it’s deer season and you have a tag. It’s not being killed for eating your rose bushes.

There’s zero evidence a bear will keep killing people after it’s killed one. Such a sad outcome for all parties involved.

#blacklivesmatter
What did the 200" mule deer do to you? You're purposefully targeting an innocent creature based on distinct characteristics that differentiate it from others.

Big wrong on the bear that keeps killing after it's killed one. Cite your sources on the lack of evidence before running your mouth, again... :rolleyes:

#bigbucklivesmatter

What did the 200" mule deer do to you? You're purposefully targeting an innocent creature based on distinct characteristics that differentiate it from others.

Big wrong on the bear that keeps killing after it's killed one. Cite your sources on the lack of evidence before running your mouth, again... :rolleyes:

#bigbucklivesmatter
Let’s see your sources....

Pretty sure a grizz attacked twice on a Montana guy. He survived though.
A woman in Pa was also attacked by what she thinks was the same bear on different years.

Prove them wrong ss.

Google is your friend.

Wow! If you had any friends or family, and one of them was attacked and killed by a bear, you may think differently. well, maybe...

They were going to do an autopsy on the woman to determine cause of death. Is it possible the woman was already dead when the bears came along? Columbo needs to know these things.

Pretty sure a grizz attacked twice on a Montana guy. He survived though.
A woman in Pa was also attacked by what she thinks was the same bear on different years.

Prove them wrong ss.

Google is your friend.
We all have heard that story about the MT guy. Incredible for sure. But we are talking about bears killing people and if that bear wanted that guy dead he would be.

Google is probably not your friend?

They were going to do an autopsy on the woman to determine cause of death. Is it possible the woman was already dead when the bears came along? Columbo needs to know these things.
That was a good show. It could of been this bear and women had history.

When you're mostly drunk, anything will fly out of your mouth.

Trying to be funny and being funny are two different things.
I'm being serious. Its a shame the bears had to die for no reason other than being bears We don't know the whole story, did the lady even have bear spray? Seems like negligence on her part. Its not like that bear would of just kept going around killing people. This isn't the movies. Maybe the lady and her dogs started some chit with the bear he she took care of it. No one knows for sure and based on that you gotta let the bear live.

I'm being serious. Its a shame the bears had to die for no reason other than being bears We don't know the whole story, did the lady even have bear spray? Seems like negligence on her part. Its not like that bear would of just kept going around killing people. This isn't the movies. Maybe the lady and her dogs started some chit with the bear he she took care of it. No one knows for sure and based on that you gotta let the bear live.
I disagree. It's just bears, why take a chance? If they fed on her for whatever reason it's not worth the risk that the bears might see humans as a food source.

I disagree. It's just bears, why take a chance? If they fed on her for whatever reason it's not worth the risk that the bears might see humans as a food source.
What if they didn’t feed on her? Killed in defense and run off?

My guess: dogs chased the cubs up a tree. The lady tried to call the dogs back and the sow hit her from behind.

But then, I'm not Columbo either, or slightlysober for that matter...

My guess: dogs chased the cubs up a tree. The lady tried to call the dogs back and the sow hit her from behind.

Maybe, but I think I read where the husband found the dogs with their leashes still on, which prompted him to go look for the wife. Of course, the dogs might have pulled loose from her grip. ?‍♂️

Maybe, but I think I read where the husband found the dogs with their leashes still on, which prompted him to go look for the wife. Of course, the dogs might have pulled loose from her grip. ?‍♂️
We know that the bear wouldn't attack based on a previous encounter since there is no evidence of a repeat offender.

The bear had to have felt threatened in some way, doing what bears do afterall...

We know that the bear wouldn't attack based on a previous encounter since there is no evidence of a repeat offender.

The bear had to have felt threatened in some way, doing what bears do afterall...
I agree, but I think it was a case of getting between the mama & her kiddies and perhaps having the dogs get riled up at the same time, i.e, barking and/or growling. Then the dogs got loose as the bear launched her attack.

So close to your scenario but a bit different. :ROFLMAO:

Please don't give the F@!#$&# Boulderites any ideas!

Wow. You're a bearacist. Assuming the bear attacked from behind? Speechless.

Clearly the bear and this women had past history. Two women cannot get along for very long. Men keep their best friends generally for life. Women? Can change 3 times in a week. What I think happened is mama bear got tired of the women walking her dogs checking facebook and not paying attention. She was probably stressed out with trying to teach her cubs something and it boiled over when the lady showed up with her dogs. There was some miscommunication and the lady wound up dead. Chit happens. No need to have two tragedies from this event. But that's our cancel culture now. Lets silence the real victims in this case, the bears.

And lets not forget the 3rd victim in this case. The boyfriend who now has to take care of those yip yap mutts. So sad.

Clearly the bear and this women had past history. Two women cannot get along for very long. Men keep their best friends generally for life. Women? Can change 3 times in a week. What I think happened is mama bear got tired of the women walking her dogs checking facebook and not paying attention. She was probably stressed out with trying to teach her cubs something and it boiled over when the lady showed up with her dogs. There was some miscommunication and the lady wound up dead. Chit happens. No need to have two tragedies from this event. But that's our cancel culture now. Lets silence the real victims in this case, the bears.

And lets not forget the 3rd victim in this case. The boyfriend who now has to take care of those yip yap mutts. So sad.
In that case the mama bear should have been arrested and charged with involuntary manslaughter and the cubs placed in a foster home.

It's bear-racist. If you're gonna coin a term, at least do it right.

Bottom line: If you are going into predator/bear country, be prepared to deal with the consequences.

You wouldn’t walk into the Cartel’s backyard without a plan....Or would you?

I’d like to attribute my 43 years of living to making choices that keep me alive....

#bearsgottaeat
#feedthecubs
#bearbait
#beprepared
#onlinebanter

She was walking along a state highway. It wasn't like she was 4 miles deep on some broken trail. I've seen high estimates of our bear population at 30k, with a CPW carrying capacity of 9-12k. We have too many bears due to ballot box biology, and it's gonna get worse before it gets better.

When we owned our resort at Vallecito, we often had them visit our dumpster. We owned two dogs, so I would let them out and the bears would leave quickly. Then one spring we had one that was oblivious to the dogs. So before our tourist season started, I had the local CPW officer, who was a friend, bring in a culvert trap. Caught a fat boar that night and hauled him off to Spring Creek for release the next day.
This fat boar....was he always bitching about pisscutters, flat brimmers and rolling coal?

She was walking along a state highway. It wasn't like she was 4 miles deep on some broken trail. I've seen high estimates of our bear population at 30k, with a CPW carrying capacity of 9-12k. We have too many bears due to ballot box biology, and it's gonna get worse before it gets better.
As long as the hwy rolls through bear country, I’d consider it bear country. A bear cares about a hwy about as much as a poacher cares about private property.

As long as the hwy rolls through bear country, I’d consider it bear country. A bear cares about a hwy about as much as a poacher cares about private property.

Agree bloodtracker, but everybody all over the internet, folks are under the impression she was deep in the woods. Bad, unfortunate deal. It's a rarity, made more rare by the fact she was on the highway, not deep in the woods.

We have lots and lots of bears here in northern CA. I see them all the time but I don't ever recall seeing one on a highway or even from the highway. Even the back country highways. I've never seen a road killed bear either.

They are elusive as I've only seen three while hunting during my life. And two of those were getting all the distance from me they could.
I was taking my wife back to our camp after fishing a few years ago and as we rounded a corner we were 6' behind a cinnamon phase bear. He stayed ahead for e few strides then he dove over the edge and was gone. That was a neat experience.

welll....that was an easier place for her boy friend to dump her.....thank god for bears.....
Well, when you put it that way, it makes perfect sense why she wasn’t prepared lol. Needed some bear mace for the boyfriend to avoid the dumping in bear country! But regardless, still a sad way to go.

It's Not Often!

But We do see a Roadkill Bear once in a great while!

At MORMON 500 Speeds, Bears Might not have a Chance!:D

We have lots and lots of bears here in northern CA. I see them all the time but I don't ever recall seeing one on a highway or even from the highway. Even the back country highways. I've never seen a road killed bear either.

I’m holding my wisecracks until I know for sure it isn’t someone I know. I should ask the guy I know who lives in Trimble.

Fact is, this is easy to see happening since all the joggers wear ear buds. She probably never saw it coming.

We have lots of bears around here, and I see several up close every year. Last years closest was 32’. We ran into each other walking around the back of the cabin. He stood up and I ran back in the house like a little girl.

I’ve see them eating roadkill many times.

Oh, and big dogs rock??

When I was just a kid and took up bow hunting with my longbow I was deer hunting for the first time. I'd never seen a bear before in the wild. I sneaked out on this rock outcropping to check out what I could see. Along came a bear and it walked right underneath me about 20 yards away. As he walked past I got brave and whistled. The bear turned around and stood on its hind legs trying to see and smell what it was. I thought I was dead for sure. When the bear gave up and continued on its way I decided to just let it go.

It's Not Often!

But We do see a Roadkill Bear once in a great while!

At MORMON 500 Speeds, Bears Might not have a Chance!:D
Coincidentally I just saw a roadkill bear on the way to work this morning. I see at least one or two every year in the same canyon on my commute to work. Sometimes they are absolute giants! Our city dump (basically a 24 hour buffet for the bears) is right over a ridge line from the highway.

Fact is, this is easy to see happening since all the joggers wear ear buds. She probably never saw it coming.

But not the same bear, right? Different ones each time.

If she didn't see it coming, does it make you a "bearacist" as well?

Asking for a friend watching this thread while eating popcorn...

I’m holding my wisecracks until I know for sure it isn’t someone I know. I should ask the guy I know who lives in Trimble.

We have lots of bears around here, and I see several up close every year. Last years closest was 32’. We ran into each other walking around the back of the cabin. He stood up and I ran back in the house like a little girl.

I’ve see them eating roadkill many times.

Oh, and big dogs rock??

Do ya know her Blue?

"Following the autopsy, the La Plata County Sheriff's Office officially determined that Malavolta died as the result of the bear attack."

Well, there goes my theory about the boyfriend out the window. I've been wrong before.

From Facebook:

Justin Rangel

1620317435846.png

1620317462347.png

May 4 at 2:33 PM ·
LANEY ANN MALAVOLTA, 39, LIFE-LONG ADVENTURER AND LOVER OF THE OUTDOORS WAS KILLED IN A BEAR ENCOUNTER ON APRIL 30, 2021 IN NORTH LA PLATA COUNTY.
Laney Malavolta, my northern star and the love of my life was killed on the afternoon of April 30, 2021 in an encounter with bears. Laney spent her life in the outdoors and was an experienced and knowledgeable operator in the back country. Her greatest joy was to be in the woods with our friends, our family and our dogs. While Laney’s physical presence was suddenly taken from this earth, all that know and love her can take comfort; Laney’s soul will live forever in her favorite place, doing her favorite thing. She would not have wanted it any other way. While this tragedy has shaken me and our family to the core, our burden is eased as we consider these facts.
We would like to express our sincere appreciation for the organizations involved in the investigation of Laney’s death and her recovery.
• La Plata County Sheriff’s Office
• Colorado Parks and Wildlife
• La Plata County Coroner’s Office
The expediency and respect with which we were treated throughout the process is a credit to the men and women who serve our community. Thank you one and all.
Our friends and family politely request the respect of our space and privacy as we process our loss.
“The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” John Muir
In lieu of flowers or gifts, please direct your kindness and resources, in her name, to Laney’s cherished local organizations and causes:
La Plata County S.A.S.O. https://www.coloradogives.org/index.php...
Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains https://www.weareplannedparenthood.org/.../cOJVhOyrzkq4uB...
Annie’s Orphans
https://anniesorphans.com/donations/

Another bear attack yesterday in Colo...

A man was attacked by a bear at his Steamboat Springs area home late on Sunday night in Colorado, resulting in serious injury. According to Colorado Parks and Wildlife officials, at approximately 11 PM on Sunday night, the homeowner noticed that the door to his garage was open. Upon going to his garage to close the door, the unidentified man encountered an adult female bear and two cubs.

Another bear attack yesterday in Colo...

A man was attacked by a bear at his Steamboat Springs area home late on Sunday night in Colorado, resulting in serious injury. According to Colorado Parks and Wildlife officials, at approximately 11 PM on Sunday night, the homeowner noticed that the door to his garage was open. Upon going to his garage to close the door, the unidentified man encountered an adult female bear and two cubs.

Nothing to see here. This is the only attack on a human the sow will ever do.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom