Bear hunt info please

W

west

My little brother has been up in Alaska for a couple months teaching(so he doesn't have a lot of cash). He wants a bear before he comes home. He has ruled out a brown bear because he doesn't have 10 grand laying around. Was hoping somebody could point us in the right direction for a affordable black bear hunt. Any help is appreciated.

"blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'donnell being fat."

What part of Alaska is he in? Unfortunately, he is running out of time. A couple more weeks and the hides won't be much good. Since he is a non resident he will have to do spot and stalk unless a resident with a baiting permit will let him sit on their bait station. I was in the exact same boat 2 weeks ago and I will be happy to pass on what I have learned.
Hoopscoach

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud"

He is living in anchorage. Any info you have would be appreciated. He has done a little spot and stock without success. Says by the time he climbs to where they were they are long gone. He is starting to get a little desperate.

"blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'donnell being fat."

Unfortunately, he and I are having the same type of experiences and I don't have any helpful answers. I am in Healy which is pretty far north but if I was closer, I would be hunting the Kenai every weekend. I hear the black bear hunting is better there. The area I'm in is better for Browns. I've spent a few weekends on the Denali highway with the same results as your son. The good news is I am meeting some helpful residents that are willing to get a baiting permit so I can hunt their bait next summer if I manage to return. I'm told that non residents aren't allowed to get a baiting permit but can hunt over a resident's station with written permission. What is your son teaching in the summer?

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud"

I am not familiar with that area, but hunted southeast AK quite a bit. He needs to find some clear cut areas and just glass the heck out of them. Also, going along the beaches in the late evenings at low tide works very well. Tell him to focus on the mouths of some of the small creeks around him. There is often big patches of grass in those areas, and the bears will come down to munch that grass.

Be careful not to shoot a sow with cubs though. Watch the tree line to make sure there are no little black furballs hanging back while mamma goes to get a snack.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info guys. He is teaching small engine repair for highschoolers. He has had some locals point him in the right direction for spot and stock, but he hasn't had any luck getting lined out on a bait. I'll browse that link and see what I can come up with. Again, thanks for the help.

Tell him to point the car south and head to the Kenai. Chose any one of the trail heads and hike up it and camp out for a couple days. He'll find a bear or two.

Spend a little time behind glass and he can probably spot all the bears he wants from the highway.

Baiting is lame...

Chugache park is now closed, but it will open again this fall. If he's still around there is lots of bears in the park, but he'll have to walk a ways to get to them. Most 'hunters' in Anchorage don't make it more than about a mile up a trail after bears, if they go at all.

Tell him to head to Seward along the way stop at any pull out he comes to and get out and glass. In years past i have not been able to evan get to Seward before seeing a bear or two. The trick is if you see a bear he might be a mile or two away, if so get your hiking boots on and get ready to put in some miles. Also make sure the wind is in your favor or it's off. Good luck and tell him to post some pictures if he bags a bear.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom