Bear Hunt Advice

woodruffhunter

Long Time Member
I was wondering if some of you could give me a little advice.

I am looking at going bear hunting the first week of May. I am going to be hunting the far Northern part (area 1). Not bait, it will be spot and stalk.

In a perfect world we would hunt the last week of the hunt. However, due to conflicting work schedules, this is the only week we can go.

Will this be too early? Do you believe most bears will be out of there dens? Keep in mind, I am far from being an expert. I went in '07 (last week of the hunt) and had a great time.

I appreciate your help!!

The last two years we were there the last 10-days of the hunt (May)and there was still snow and very little grass and clover on the logging roads yet. The bears were bearly getting out and about. Not alot of scat around. However, we seen eleven bears last year and bagged three for three!!!

However, the past two years have been long winters with a lot of snow fall. This year is warmer up north and they have had around 75% of the normal avarage snow fall.

I will be calling a guy we met last year and a fish and game warden we met ten years ago that is in the Bonner Ferry region in the next few week to see if waiting till the last ten days is going to be to late this year?

The first time we went was on about the 13th and we seen plenty of bears and bagged two for two, which was great since it was our first time and we had no idea where or how to hunt bear. The warden we met and visited with several days in a row was very helpful and we have kept in touch with him since.

A few locals we have talked to over the years have said on a normal year the prime time is between the 13th & the 15th. The stated that most of the bears are out by then and the boars are roaming trying to mate.

Call the local Fish and Game Office and the Biologist. I'll try to find out what I can. Keep in touch and good luck. Let me know how it is, because I will be headed up on the 21st of May.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom