Bear attack

NVBighorn

Long Time Member
http://cbs13.com/national/montana.bear.attack.2.1830018.html

HELENA, Mont. (AP) ? At least one bear rampaged through a campground near Yellowstone National Park before dawn Wednesday, killing one person and injuring two others before campers sought shelter in their cars, wildlife officials said.

Tents were smashed in the 4 a.m. attack that left a male dead at the Soda Butte campground. A female suffered severe lacerations from bites on her arms, while another male was bitten on his calf and taken to a hospital in Cody, Wyo.

Wildlife officials did not release the identities or ages of the victims. A response team was being sent to piece together what happened.

"We don't know if it was one bear, two bears, a black bear or grizzly bear," Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks spokesman Ron Aasheim said. "Obviously, the bear's gone now. Will it come back tonight? That's the question."

Authorities cleared the campground after the attack was reported at 6 a.m., telling campers to go to their cars.

It was not immediately clear how many people were in the campground at the time of the attack.

The same campground was the site of a 2008 attack in which a grizzly bear bit and injured a man sleeping in a tent. A young adult female grizzly was captured in a trap four days after the attack and transported to a bear research center at Washington State University in Pullman.

The Soda Butte campground has 27 sites in the Gallatin National Forest near the northeastern entrance of Yellowstone National Park. It is located just off the rugged, mountainous Beartooth Highway about 125 miles southwest of Billings.

"It is a populated area for bears, not just grizzly bears but black bears," Gallatin National Forest spokeswoman Marna Daley said.

The campground, which is run by the U.S. Forest Service, has been closed, as well as two other nearby campgrounds, Daley said. Forest Service officials will consider closing more campgrounds after consulting with state wildlife officials leading the investigation, she said.

Not good!

I have a bud that has a 50 type 9 tag and another with a 54 tag!

Reads very close to those units.

Robb

" Will it come back tonight"?
Give a Bear a Samich and He will be back the following night for another Samich!
Lots of 'Samiches' in JellyStone Park!

I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

You can thank your Federal Fish & Wildlife for this exciting report! Hopefully they did not transplant any Griz to Swan Valley, ID as has been rumored.
JadgBob

Great post.

Have a question maybe someone can answer.

Does that area in Yellowstone always have problems like this?

If I'm thinking right(about that state anyway)I was talking to a guy who hunts that state every year and he said that if you kill an elk in the evening,good luck bringing him out,because it is to dangerous because of all the bears,and you'd be lucky just to get your horns in the morning in tact,but getting any meat is out of the question.Is this true or is the guy full of it?

And if so why isn't game and fish providing a special hunt to thin out some of the bears?

Also,I read on another post on here about the wolves in Idaho or somewhere,that the wolves are killing elk and sheep and just leaving them to rot, bascially killing just to kill,it this
true?

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you think their right"

-Joe E Sikora

The griz in and around Jellystone are abundant. I had a sheep license up there last year and saw one in nearly every basin. Saw 17 griz in 2.5 days of scouting and 12 in 2 days of hunting. All different bears in different spots.

We'd love to shoot a few of them, but the USFWS will not let Wyoming have a season, even though the criteria for taking them off the endangered species list was met years ago.

And yes, if you shoot a critter, elk, deer or moose it is wise to be cautious processing and taking out the meat.

To answer your question on the wolves joesikora, yes they do kill for sport. Some of the only animals that do so. Another reason they are so destructive to the populations of wildlife, ranching and hunting.

Ryan

ICMdeer and bticked, thanks for the info.

bticked,not use I understand the last part,are you saying that ranching and hunting are making the wolves more destructive,or ranching and hunting are hurting wildlife?

Thanks again for your responses.

-Joe E Sikora

Oh God no. What I meant was the wolves are destroying hunting resources like decimating elk herds and taking a toll on ranchers where they prey on cattle herds and the like. Sorry if I misspoke...I don't like wolves. Just wanted to make that clear. I really don't like that, where they "reintroduce" wolves, there was already small populations in those areas. Now they are expanding to epidemic proportions and causing a terrible problem in those areas they inhabit. Shame on the wolf activists and all others who think like them.

Ryan

Thanks bticked, for clearing that up for me.

-Joe E Sikora

I'm wondering why people would still tent camp in areas where bear attacks have happened in the past. I don't get it.

There was a great white shark attack at one of the beaches about 30 minutes from my home a few years ago. It ate a swimmer about 300 yards off shore. She swam every morning out to the same buoy and back. I no longer go in the ocean for that simple reason. What if I turn up as a statistic? No thanks!

I know, I know.....I could be out hunting and get pounced on by a mountain lion.....I'm not willing to give up hunting. :)

Steve

I wonder if TFinal is still against packing guns in National Parks? Probably. Him and Treadwell.

Eel

It's the park for God's sake. No Hunting. I'm all for hunting them outside of the park but if there were people getting killed twice a day everyday then get people out of there instead of hunting them. Who wants to shoot a bear lurking around a campground expecting handouts anyway? That's not hunting.

What really bugs me is that they can't understand why the bear would do this. Hmmm? Maybe it's because she has 3, no 4 mouths to feed, there's no berries, there's no pinenuts, the elk and deer babies are running 90 miles an hour, wolves are competition, they've never done a lick of research on humans and winter is on the way. Do the math.

Our local news report stated that they tracked down the grizz and killed it. Was a grizz sow with two cubs. Cubs were captured and will be placed in a zoo.

city bred tourists feeding bears and other wild animals and having food in their tents are part of the problem. All those Bambi type movies on public TV have educated the dumb humans that wild animals are friendly.

The other part of the problem is the animal lovers allowing a overbundance of large carnivores and a few humans getting killed is acceptable to them.

I will keep a large bore revolver close by in hopes of having a fighting chance.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom