BC Bighorn Sheep

B

Buckeye

I am looking to hunt Bighorn sheep in the next two years in BC, I am looking for ideas for a good outfitter, so any of you guys in BC, I would like to hear from you. Thanks

Buckeye,
I'm not from BC, but wish you luck in your search. Bighorn outfitters book up so far in advance that I question whether you'll find any openings in the time frame you are seeking. I'll be in BC hunting a California Bighorn ram come September 1. An outfitter up there I spoke to had two openings in 2006 but that was in January so I'm sure he filled those slots on the show circuit early this year.

Buckeye,
Alberta is a good option on Rocky Mt Bighorn, not quite as back logged as BC is on California's, you better book soon if wanting to hunt in 06. I hunted with Correl creek in 02, They have Rockys with 75% sucess the last few years(great success for Alberta's Rockys). If you go my advice is to book late season, as snow moves them out of the wilderness area into theirs. I took my ram on the 1st day due to heavy snow and a bit of luck!
On the down side with Canadian Regs, in Alberta the rams have to be full curl to be legal, so you could have made a stalk on a band of sheep with a 13 year old monarch, broomed back with ends the size of your fist but not full curl, you could not harvest that ram, you would have to hope there is a 9 year old with lamb tips & full curl to fill your tag. Go figure?
Anyway, at least you don't have to draw the tag!
Like Hank Williams Sr. sings "If you got the money honey". Keep us informed.
Good Luck!!!
High5

High5, thanks for the information, I did not think to look at Alberta. How did you find this outfitter?, and do you know how many other outfitters hunt for Bighorn in Alberta, let me know if you want to talk to me in an e-mail, thanks again.

Buckeye,

I completely agree with High5. I just thought you had your heart set on BC for some reason. I got my Rocky in Alberta last year with Edith Nagy and Pat Deuling - super folks, I've never seen anyone work harder for their hunter than they did for me. Their website is www.hunt-rockies.com and they only take two bighorn hunters a year, one at a time.

One great resource on outfitters is http://wildsheep.org/directory/grand_slam_advertisers.htm

Another way to find out about Alberta outfitters specifically is to go to http://www.apos.ab.ca/

For BC outfitters, another source is http://www.goabc.org/

Hope this is of some help. Good luck!

Hi Ramdreamer, thank you for the great info, I did not have my heart set on any one area, but at my age I do not have 17yrs of putting in for a hunt here in the states, I had hunted in BC last year so I guess I thought of BC first. Thanks for the web pages, I will get on them yet tonight and start looking. Did you get your Bighorn with this outfitter, and can you tell me a little more about your hunt, thanks

Yes Buckeye, There are several good Bighorn sheep outfitters in Alberta, Ramdreamer is very knowledgable and has given you good direction. Email me if you are interested in Ph# of who I hunted with as there website is under construction. [email protected]
A word of caution Buckeye, In my experience, there is no cure for sheep fever!
Good Luck my friend!
High5

Buckeye,

Yes, I got my Rocky with the outfitter I mentioned above. It was not easy, but the outfitters gave it their all every day. A photo of me with my Rocky is at www.hunt-rockies.com/photos/sheep9.jpg

To answer your question - I wanted to hunt with them because I've known Pat Deuling for a long time. He's pretty famous among other sheep hunters as a long time guide with Arctic Red River Outfitters in the NWT. He had a pack dog name Charli that everyone loved. I had hunted with him in BC a long time ago when he was helping guides for cats. He started guiding in Alberta a few years back and I hadn't been able to hook up with him. They had an opening last year and I was able to get it. They only take two hunters per year, one in early September and one in early October. The area is to the east of Banff. No motorized traffic allowed. The only other people we saw the entire trip were two park rangers doing a loop out of the park. It was 29 miles in by horseback, one way.

Call and talk to them. Tell them Brenton Scott told you to call. Note that there is a good chance they are in the mountains scouting now, so you'll have to be patient about getting a call back. 403-638-9328 is their home #, 403-507-0199 is their cell phone.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom