Bass Hill Archery A26 Help

C

code3run

Brand new member here and looking for a little info on what to expect when we hunt Bass Hill Archery in November? I have read a few posts here about it but havnt had the chance to research it all. Any info would be great.
Thanks

>Brand new member here and looking
>for a little info on
>what to expect when we
>hunt Bass Hill Archery in
>November? I have read a
>few posts here about it
>but havnt had the chance
>to research it all. Any
>info would be great.
>Thanks

Code 3, I just drove through that zone on Monday. There were 62 deer in the field on the south side of the highway east of the Pizza Factory. A buddy of mine who is on the CDA board also drew that tag this year. That is also the tag I put in for. There are resident deer there, but like Doyle, more will come as the weather hits. Where do you live? I am in Redding.

You can't kill one sitting on the couch!

Sorry I have not been back on this forum in a while. I live Just east of Los Angeles.We wont be able to get up there before the hunt so doing all our research on the forums and talking to friends that have hunted the area.

Re this hunt, anyone have any recommendations for a hotel near this hunting area? Im thinking near Susanville but I have no idea at this point? Thanks

Hey 3.......there's all kinds of motels in Susanville, eating places, gas stations, a Wal-Mart real close to your area, like 3-5 away. What you'll need to focus on is knowing the private/public land boundries.

Good luck

LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-13 AT 10:25AM (MST)[p]Im sitting at work trying to research a motel to stay at. Cant wait for this hunt. I heard its a small area too.

Any of the ones (4) on the east side of town are good and easy to access to food & gas. Knights Inn is real noisy.

If you were looking for a place to park a trailer, I have a property at the east edge of susanville that I can make available. No power or utilities, but free.

You can't kill one sitting on the couch!

>If you were looking for a
>place to park a trailer,
>I have a property at
>the east edge of susanville
>that I can make available.
> No power or utilities,
>but free.
>
>You can't kill one sitting on
>the couch!

Thanks a ton for the offer. We wont be bringing a trailer this trip and my partner already booked a room somewhere. Thanks again for the offer. Now if you can just tell me where the deer are! :)

I have hunted Bass Hill Archery 3 times. Last time in 2006. I quit applying after it became so popular that you had to have 8+ preference points to be assured of the hunt. We go up and take pictures in mid-December every year though. Be ready for three things:

1. Wide open sage brush and lots of pairs of eyes. The deer are in rutting herds normally and they tend to be out on the open sage hillside.

2. Quail hunters!! Other than in the Egan Unit I have never went out (in or out of A26) and not run into numerous quail hunters. The first two times I hunted it you had to draw the Egan Unit after drawing the tag and it was restricted to those few. Most of the time they are not a problem, but the deer are more jumpy due to the numerous dogs.

3. Broken horns. The genetics for this herd are weird and you will see many, many bucks with broke up racks. Last time I hunted it 2006 we had trouble finding a mature buck with his rack intact.

It is a fun, cold hunt. You should see quite a few bucks in the 22-24" range and once in a while something bigger.

>I have hunted Bass Hill Archery
>3 times. Last time
>in 2006. I quit
>applying after it became so
>popular that you had to
>have 8+ preference points to
>be assured of the hunt.
> We go up and
>take pictures in mid-December every
>year though. Be ready
>for three things:
>
>1. Wide open sage brush and
>lots of pairs of eyes.
> The deer are in
>rutting herds normally and they
>tend to be out on
>the open sage hillside.
>
>2. Quail hunters!! Other than
>in the Egan Unit I
>have never went out (in
>or out of A26) and
>not run into numerous quail
>hunters. The first two
>times I hunted it you
>had to draw the Egan
>Unit after drawing the tag
>and it was restricted to
>those few. Most of
>the time they are not
>a problem, but the deer
>are more jumpy due to
>the numerous dogs.
>
>3. Broken horns. The
>genetics for this herd are
>weird and you will see
>many, many bucks with broke
>up racks. Last time
>I hunted it 2006 we
>had trouble finding a mature
>buck with his rack intact.
>
>
>It is a fun, cold hunt.
> You should see quite
>a few bucks in the
>22-24" range and once in
>a while something bigger.

ok great thank you for the info. We have never been but burned 8 points to get it. Were going up 2 days in advance to scout.
Thanks

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom