Bases and Rings

G

gaetz

So, I know the importance of having good bases and rings for your scope, but how can you differentiate the good from the bad?

Gaeter

I wouldn't go any Cheaper than Leupold Dual Dovetails!

Founder just Banned My Signature!
Hang in there!
I'm working on another one!:D

For the vanilla mounts I'd go with Talley or Warne.

There are lots of high-dollar mounts out there that are great but you don't need to break the bank to get a secure mounting system.

I've never personally had trouble with the Readfield type (Leupold, Burris also) but, when I worked in sporting goods at the gun counter, I've see a bunch where the rear ring will push through the windage screws under recoil.

Elkass is right, go with dual dovetail if using Leupold for the most security.

I'd still go with Talley or Warne if budget comes into play.

Zeke

A lot of people will also say to go with solid steel instead of aluminum. IDK how much truth there is to that, but makes sense aluminum is going to be a lot softer then solid steel.

OK, I'm not looking to purchase bases and rings, but was curious if I bought a gun (especially used) how I could tell if the bases and rings that are on the scope are of good quality or not.

Post a pics of them. You'll get our opinions....whether you want them or not. haha
Zeke

If they look like this, they are good bases.

1344imagesca6ez58l.jpg

Yes!
They are Leupold double dovetail. Mated with the correct rings, it's a killer setup.
Zeke

I have been using Burris Z-Rings as of late and had no issues. Use them with Leupold QWR bases or any good picatiny rail. Plastics inserts make it so I don't have to lap the rings. Just my $.02.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom