Base layers

bucks

Just asking,
Wanting to get a opinion on what most people are using as a good base layer,I think that my 35 plus year white dotted cotton thermals have finally had it!!
Im just a little sticker shocked at were the price for new long handle underwear has gone these days.:unsure:

Technology has advanced a bit when it comes to base layers and just clothing in general. There's more factors, but one primary question to ask is - merino or synthetic?

Both are excellent as next-to-skin layers but each have their benefits over the other. Merino will naturally kill odor better than synthetics. Synthetics will wick sweat more efficiently. There's also the question of comfort as some prefer the feel of Merino versus synthetic.

Sometimes the line is blurred as I believe Sitka utilizes some voodoo magic called Polygiene that inhibits odor for their synthetic line.

Then there's the actual thickness as well. There's lightweight, mid-weight and heavyweight layers.

Sitka, First Lite and Kuiu make amazing clothing. Might be worth a trip to your local outfitter to try them on as sizing can be all over the place. Wait for sales. Typically Spring time, just before the summer season and then end of year is when I find great deals on clothing.

I use midweight synthetics. I never wanted to use them on my legs, but as I get older and circulation efficiency decreases, I gotta do it just to be comfortable. Polypropylene seems to work well. I sometimes use silk and sometimes merino wool.

Oddly enough, some fire-retardant underwear stuff (nomex) from my flying days works pretty good too.

I used cotton as a kid in the 60s to 70s because it's all I could afford.

Good post BH, agreed.

FWIW, There are some good deals on Merino sometimes on the discount sites like Sierra trading post....

Merino. Nothing comes close
X2 Merino is where it is at. They are pricey but they hold up for years if you use them a few months of the year. Try to find some on sale this time of year in the off season. I like that they do not hold my nasty hiking stink as bad as the synthetic stuff.

I hate thermals on my legs.

I prefer heavier pants and gaiters.

But I'm not a Backcountry guy, so end of day, I have a heater, fire, camp, or truck

I use synthetic and merino base layers. I would not go back to cotton ever! I mostly just use mid-weight base layers. Keeps the old body warm without overheating.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom