Barnes TSX 130 GR

DeerMadness

Long Time Member
Has anyone found what they feel is a great propellant type and amount for this round? I haven't reloaded for many years but bought an RCBS Supreme and dies and trimmer.
Thanks. I shoot a Kimber Montana which I really like with the factory loads so far.
Kimber has a new rifle with Sitka pattern stock at only 4 lbs. I salivate immediately but not going to upgrade lol.

What cartridge? Barnes TSX 130gr is a bullet not a cartridge, round, or chambering.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Yes. 60 gr of H4831 is a tried and true loading for the 270 Win and 130 gr bullets. You would want to work up to that...

Also H4350 and Re19 have been found to be great powders to work with in that cartridge. Good luck to you!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Mar-18-14 AT 09:12PM (MST)[p]Thanks Joey -I heard about .270 when Jack Connor used a .270 for over 40 years. Unless you are after Grizzly. Lol

I have been loading the Barnes tipped tsx 130gr for my daughters 270. Been using H 4350 with 55 grains. If I cant load them for some reason. It nice that you can get Barnes Vor-tx ammo in that load over the counter.

I've been using 59 gr. H48331 in my 270 and it's a very accurate load. I've also found that 59 gr. of H4831 to be about max. The old 60 gr. load applies to the old WWll surplus H4831. Modern H4831 may be a little hotter (think fresher).

Moose

Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up

Thank you all for responding. It is the Barnes Vortex TSX. I can't buy it over the counter now. Just hoping to get some soon.

I have not used that bullet, but all copper bullets often give more pressure than conventional bullets of the same weight with everything else being equal. Starting a couple of grains lower than you might with a regular bullet and working up if all seems well would be a good idea.

I would agree H4350 is the powder. Theres are some new powders on the market. One of them is Superformance but you cant find any reloading info. Superformance powder is close to the burning rate of H4831 or Win 780. My wife rifle now my sons is loaded with 110 barns bullet with 4350. I've been able to get 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards and hardly any kick, good luck.

Deermadness said, "Thanks Joey -I heard about .270 when Jack Connor used a .270 for over 40 years. Unless you are after Grizzly. Lol "

That would be Jack O'Conner. lol Mr. O'Conner was by far my favorite outdoor author while growing up. My Grandfather was also a huge fan of his and because so, always renewed my subscription to Outdoor Life every year as my Christmas present from him to me.

Each month, it was a big deal to me to get my hands on the latest copy of Outdoor Life. I'd recluse to my bedroom and generally read the rag from cover to cover. Key and center though, were each and every article within those pages penned by Mr. O'Conner. He was the very first outdoor writer, that i was aware of at the time, who routinely could write in such a way as to allow me to smell the sage, see the vista's he was seeing, and be right there along with him on his, to me then, exotic adventures.

Yes, Jack loved the 270 Winchester and in later years, helped make that cartridge famous and as popular as it has gotten to be. There were certainly much larger and more popular cartridges to choose to hunt big game with back then but he, like myself and many others, had faith in "smaller" cartridges placed with high velocity and pin-point accuracy, proving this relatively new concept at the time, to the masses time and again in the written texts of his and his wife's successful exploits.

Mr. O'Conner was a Master at his trade. Someone that i personally have long looked up to as the best ever at what he did!

Joey

Shop online.

Joey

>
>That would be Jack O'Conner. lol
>Mr. O'Conner was by far
>my favorite outdoor author while
>growing up. My Grandfather was
>also a huge fan of
>his and because so, always
>renewed my subscription to Outdoor
>Life every year as my
>Christmas present from him to
>me.
>
>Each month, it was a big
>deal to me to get
>my hands on the latest
>copy of Outdoor Life. I'd
>recluse to my bedroom and
>generally read the rag from
>cover to cover. Key and
>center though, were each and
>every article within those pages
>penned by Mr. O'Conner. He
>was the very first outdoor
>writer, that i was aware
>of at the time, who
>routinely could write in such
>a way as to allow
>me to smell the sage,
>see the vista's he was
>seeing, and be right there
>along with him on his,
>to me then, exotic adventures.
>
>
>Yes, Jack loved the 270 Winchester
>and in later years, helped
>make that cartridge famous and
>as popular as it has
>gotten to be. There were
>certainly much larger and more
>popular cartridges to choose to
>hunt big game with back
>then but he, like myself
>and many others, had faith
>in "smaller" cartridges placed with
>high velocity and pin-point accuracy,
>proving this relatively new concept
>at the time, to the
>masses time and again in
>the written texts of his
>and his wife's successful exploits.
>
>
>Mr. O'Conner was a Master at
>his trade. Someone that i
>personally have long looked up
>to as the best ever
>at what he did!
>
>Joey
>

+1 sage
Like I've said before, we've walked MANY of the same paths!
Best,
Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom