Barlow Outfitters Wyoming

P

Prism

Does anybody have some feedback on Barlow Outfitters in Wyoming?

With 6 nonresident moose points I'm looking at a couple of units that have some wilderness areas, and would require horses for packing a big old moose out.

I have tried to contact them, but haven't had any luck reaching anybody yet. I've heard they kill some great moose.

I know there are several units I could possibly draw and do on my own, but I'm just looking for other options as I think a lot of the areas that have taken 6 points in the past are going to take 7-8 or more in 2007.

Here's a couple of Utah moose pics from 2006, both bulls were taken by friends on the same CWMU. There's no way one person can pack one out alone!

moosie002.jpg

Moose2.jpg

PRISM, I HAVE MET MR. BARLOW AND HIS WIFE. ( FOR THE LIFE OF ME I CANT THINK OF HIS FIRST NAME, I WANT TO SAY KEN). THEY ARE STAND UP PEOPLE, AND HE RUNS A SOLID OUTFIT THAT PRODUCES VERY WELL. HE WANTED ME TO THINK ABOUT A MOOSE HUNT WITH HIM ALSO, HE HAS A TON OF TROPHY ANIMALS IN HIS COMPANY BOOKS. HE SEEMED TO ME TO BE AN EXCELLENT FELLA, EASY TO TALK TO/ DOWN TO EARTH. I THINK HE WOULD BE A SAFE/ EXCELLENT MOOSE CHOICE. YD.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-05 AT 06:57PM (MST)[p]Paul,

Barlow's website and brochure certainly have the most trophy shiras displayed of any Wyoming Outfitter that I could find last year.

I spoke with him over the phone and YD's comments sound right on. Give him a ring, with the videoing you're doing maybe he'll cut you a deal.

Good Luck,
COBUK

Thanks for the feedback guys. After reading my post I'm a year ahead of myself already! The moose pics are from 2005 and I'm planning on hunting maybe in 2006. It's no wonder I'm always early for appointments!:)

I believe his name is Bob. I have left him a couple of messages, I'm sure he'll get back with me soon. Their website is pretty impressive. They shoot some big old bullwinkles!

I'd prefer to do it on my own, but I'd like to see what they have to offer, and it may open up some other areas for me to hunt as a nonresident.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-05 AT 11:09PM (MST)[p]Bob Barlow Outfitting won the 2nd & 3rd Place for Moose-rifle in 2002 and took 1st & 2nd place for Moose with Archery.
In 2003, he took the 1st place for Moose w/Archery but nothing in rifle that was top scoring.
For hunting season 2004 the results from the Awards Presentation hasn't been published yet.
These are the Awards presented to the Outfitters from the WYOGA.
They hold this dinner and recognition in December of each year.

Brian

You need to ad Al Martin of Beavertrap Outfitters to your list. He hunts the Bighorns and has guided clients to some giant Shiras over the years. I'll PM you the number.

Drum

I talked to Bob a couple of times before drawing a tag and he definitely knows his moose and Western Wyo units. He uses an impressive saddle string of horses to cover lots of country. In hunts close to his home he hunted from his house and swapped horses so he had a fresh set each day.

Back when I was researching Wyo moose he was charging over $4000 for a moose hunt and I imagine he may charge even more than that now. Obviously if you go with a guide you have the advantage of accessing wilderness areas that otherwise aren't available to nonres. With moose hunting you generally need to cover lots of country and units with difficult access can be somewhat frustrating finding bulls. If you can afford a good guide with horses it would be a definite plus!

You are absolutely right that moose are a big critter and a lot of work! I shot mine about 1 1/2 miles from a road and it took 6 trips to get him out (by myself!).

I believe Bob goes down to AZ during the winter so that may be where he is right now? Keep trying and you will reach him sooner or later.

Thanks for the info. It doesn't sound like that'd fit into next years hunting budget:(

Oh well, maybe I'll throw my 6 points into the hat with everyone else and see what shakes out.

Prism,
There is a horse rental place on the Idaho side you may want to check into. I've heard horror stories about horses on hunts but they sure would be a help for covering country...and packing out a giant bullwinkle! A lot cheaper than a guided hunt as well! Good luck in your quest!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-19-05 AT 01:42AM (MST)[p]The more friends u have the better !!

Packing those big bulls aren't easy when you're solo.....I've done a few on my own.

I know he had a late season elk tag and was also deer hunting with his brother who is a friend of mine so give him some time. He is a hard hunting guy and would do you well.

I hunted moose with Bob about 4yrs. ago. Ended up with a point bull. My best friend hunted with him the year before that and shot a bull that scored just under book. Both hunts were long and tough. Bob and crew work their tails off for you and are very knowledgable. Research your areas well. Wolves are raising hell with moose in western border units. I would heartily recommend Bob as an outfitter.

Drew a Moose tag in Wyoming this year and have played phone tag with Bob for days. He is bear hunting.

Will probably book a hunt with him,

Archer

Only bad thing is I had given up on drawing and booked a BC Moose/Goat hunt and then drew this.

Good think I like Moose meat.

What are your thoughts on hunting without a guide on this unit?

Archer

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom