Bank sluff buries snowmobile

BeanMan

Long Time Member
Here's kind of a cool little video my Dad the avalanche Man sent me. Maybe it's a good thing to ride with friends, you never know what could bury you.

I saw that yesterday. He is quite lucky that was mostly a loose snow sluff. Most avy's are much denser and harden like concrete once they stop. No digging with your hands at that point.

Here is a link to a vid of an avy a good friend of mine went for a ride in last winter. He was lucky to get hung up in the tree. His snowmobile....totaled.

Thanks Alp, the Colorado snowpack is real dangerous right now, lots of TG snow in the old pack. We lost 4 people last week in avalanches including one snowmobiler.

Snowpack is bad here too. All that old faceted sugar snow with a new heavy load is a bad combo. The median and UAC have done a good job of getting the word out and people have been staying off the hills, but it will change. Somebody will eventually venture out and break one loose. When the snow pack is like it is now they will go right to the ground, break trees, total snowmobiles and kill people. I'll get out and play, but I won't touch the hills when there is a moderate to significant risk. Just not worth leaving my kids without a father.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom