BALLISTIC SILVERTIPS 300RUM?

B

B_BOP_A_LU_LU

Just wondering Who's got Experience with these Slugs through a 300 RUM?

I've got one Friend that told me through his 300 WSM they are holding together perty well/not Exploding!

Gonna load something up for Coyotes & I want the most Explosive Slug I can find?

Any Suggestions/Experience is Appreciated!

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

LAST EDITED ON May-04-11 AT 05:28AM (MST)[p]Ur friend is telling u how it is. They are excellent bullets but if u want even better than that u should see what a Sierra matchking out of a 300 rum will do. They will take down any north American big game and then some. As for the explosiveness, all I can say is that the word carnage best describes that lol. Pm me once in a while Bessy, we gotta plan this years hunts.

I had a .338 and it took 7 of them to take down a 5 piont bull! After he was down i threw the rest of the box.

I used them in a 300 win mag for stone sheep just because they grouped so damn well. My daughter used the same rifle/bullet combo (I gave it to her when she drew a tag) on a desert ram. I've also used it on a couple mule deer.

If you want an explosive bullet then this is the one! Yikes!

They do NOT hold together at all. 1 sheep was 360 yds and the other at 320 yds. The velocity would have been quite reduced and none of the 3 bullets in 2 sheep held together at all.

I'm glad I had some TSX bullets for the moose kill after I shot my stone. (same POI at 100 yds out of my rifle)

I can't figure out how someone could say they held together "pretty well"!

At the velocity of your 300 RUM the results would be even more dramatic! EXPLOSIVE!

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON May-04-11 AT 09:26AM (MST)[p]They are explosive and will do the trick. It's the same bullet and the regular btip just with a different color.

Hornkiller, you have to hit the animal. It's not a proximity mine.
a20792b12a43280588e9ae_s.JPG

My first hand loads I worked up for my 30-378 where the nosler silvertips in 180 grain. They shot really well.That first deer season I took a small buck with that load. Wow! I didn't think a bullet could literally blow hide flesh and bone the size of a volley ball.It was a fairly close shot 240 yards.At those velocities those bullets are deadly.Infact so deadly that I decided to load up some hornadys for the next years spring bear hunt because I wanted to try and save the rug.

The funny thing is that I have shot them in my 270 and they hold together very well. I have had sveral pass throughs on spike bulls pushing 400 yards.I think the difference is all velocity related.

Varmint grenade bullets from Barnes are designed to explode on contact. Might want to check them out. I also believe Hornady makes a similar round.

I agree with cache, they worked well on deer-sized animals out of my 270 win. But, holy cow, they are not good penetrators out of a 30 cal mag!

Zeke

I'm still trying to decide what to do w/ my 300RUM. Except to initially break in the barrel, I've only used factory loads - Remington 180gr Scirocco - and haven't been very happy with *my* performance using that setup.

Its heavy, it kicks a little much (ok, I'm a wimp)
I can't group well at 200yds (most likely the shooter).

I've taken a few animals. It did better on deer than on elk. I had 4 passthroughs on a bull @ 75 yds and closing - going uphill.

I'm going to try a box of 180gr ballistic tips that I have, then decide whether I will sell or keep the gun and reload it.

In the meantime, I've been sticking more with my trusty 30-06 and newer 270 and 300 WSMs.

Varmit Grenades sound Good!

But I don't see them in anything bigger that a .243?

I have watched my friend kill a dozen or more animals with these bullets and I have yet to see a pass thru.They seem to explode by just contacting the skin
Two of those animals where antelope both at about 200 yards.
His cow elk he shot last year took 4 bullets in the shoulder and keep on going for over a mile
He he shooting a 300WSM 180 GR.
Completely junk if you ask me

Hey stinkbug!

Plans,Plans & Plans!

Get me a seat right next to QTPie on the African Flight!:D

B Bop...just take Q-TPie's finger nail file and file a 1/4 inch cross-groove in the tips of your loads...give you somethin' to do on the way to Africa...plus they'll explode perfectly for the Baboon hunting..

Hornady v-max. I use them in my 22-250. Explode going in with no exit. That's a 50 grain bullet going 3350 fps. They might be just what your looking for bess.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom