Badlands 2200 as carry-on?

S

Spencer

Has anyone ever tried to carry-on their 2200 or a similar sized (about 2200 sq in) during a flight? I ask because I'm flying out for my deer hunt on SW and their size restrictions seem to indicate it is too big. Having said that, I had a friend tell me he has flown with a larger pack as a carry-on.

What experiences have some of you had with your larger backpacks as carry-on luggage?

I used my 2200 as my carry-on back in 2007 to Kodiak AK without any problems. I didn't stuff it full, did use it for all my optics, camera, ect. I just got back from PA (didn't have the pack) and American Airlines was pretty militant about carry-on sizes.

--Bill

LAST EDITED ON Sep-18-09 AT 02:55PM (MST)[p]Thanks, guys!! That is what I needed to know. I don't plan to stuff it either - just carry my camera, spotter, and a few other items. I've got my rifle case and a wheeled bag as my checked baggage and was hoping to take the 2200 with me.

I'll be flying Southwest so we'll see what they do to me.

Me and my buddies used ours as carry-ons in January of 09 going to Mexico for a coues deer hunt. We had no problems at all.

if your flying southwest your fine, they let take a 3400 inch pack as a carry on

I just flew to Africa with my big Eberlestock Half Track(3080 sq. in.) as my carry on with no problems. Your post got me thinking, I have NEVER had my carry on baggage checked for size compliance..... if they did deem it too big you would have to "gate check" it. This would suck because most likely your expensive optics, camera and such would be inside. Pack a small nylon duffle in your pack incase there were a problem. You could then transfer your expensive stuff , ipod , magazines, medication, etc. to the duffle and have no worries.

I have a VERY different opinion on this subject.

I fly commercially about 2-3 weeks a month. In fact next week will be my 7th week in a row flying out of SLC to different locations.

I think they should STRICTLY enforce the carry on size limits. In fact I think that they Should BAN all bags larger than a computer bag or small duffle as a carry on!!!!!!!!!!!

All the IDIOTS that try and squeeze those big bags in there...they just slow down the entire boarding process and then they take up room for people who actually obey the size limits. I think ALL roller bags shoudl be BANNED!!!! Check your freaking bag...it only takes a couple of minutes to go to baggage claim and pick them up!!!!!!

Sorry for the rant......but that is a MAJOR sore spot with this frequent traveler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got back from my Utah bowhunt trip via Delta carrying my 2200; no problemo. And it had all my glass, cameras and tripod in it. Shouldn't be a problem and certainly not near the size of some of the amazing things others on the flight brought to the game. I totally agree with FLEH on this issue, but a 2200 is nothing comparatively speaking to what you will see come into the cabin. Go for it.

Thanks for all of the confirmations, fellas!! I'll probably just have my spotting scope, camera, and a couple of other items in it so I could probably fold it down some if they ask me to.

I just flew United to Jackson, WY and I carried a Badlands Diablo and never had any problems. I actually carried a roller bag also and I considered the backpack as my "personal bag".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom