Backpacks & sleeping bag ??

TripleK

Long Time Member
My son is going into 11 year old scouts and will be doing a lot of hiking and camping. I want him to have stuff that is lightweight and easy to pack.

Should I spend the money on a sleeping bag that crushes down really small or go with a heavier and more cumbersome mummy type bag? I really don't know what it best.

Backpacks...frame backpack?? Does he need one of those or is there something else??

Help me outfit the kid, please!

LAST EDITED ON May-22-09 AT 06:55PM (MST)[p]I started back packing at about that age. It's a great time to start! I've always favored the external frame packs. Spend enough to get a hip belt and sternum strap. Probably most come with them now. Make sure and try a pack on, to see that it fits properly and is comfortable. That's real important! And don't overload it! At his age I would think about 30 lbs would be max. 20 would be better.

The sleeping bag should be rated for the temperature expected. I think all bags are rated now. If you error, error on the too warm side. I can't help much beyond that because I'm not up on the latest. I will say that generally the more compressable the better. That kind of points to down, but down is expensive and is loses its insulation capability when wet. Look for a synthetic insulation, not too cheap but not real high dollar either, unless they plan on winter trips.

If he loves it like I did, look out! By the time I was in high school I was gone. One of our parents would drop us off at the trail head, and another parent would pick us back up in two weeks! Good stuff!

Edit: I like external frame packs because....they provide a small space between the main pack and your back. This allows for ventalation and keeps that can of pork and beans from poking you in the back.:)

Eel

I am an internal frame guy. I think that they are more comfortable on your back. I would check out REI or Basin Sports. Get him a good light comfortable pack that will give him some room to grow with.
As for the bag I agree with Eel. Get him a good sleeping bag for the area. The uinta's can get pretty cold even in the summer. You can get a pretty nice bag for not a lot of money. But if you want lighter the cost goes up. I would get a good average bag. It depends on what you can spend.
I like hitting REI becasue they have a great selection and you can look at a lot of different things to mix and match.

Andy

I have been a Scoutmaster for almost twenty years and have made the following observations;

1.External frame pack. They are cheaper, but more importantly they allow for growth and the inevitable packing mistakes that a young scout will make. The multiple pockets and the frame allow the scout to better organize their gear, this is important because they will want to take to much the first few times they go out.

2. Sleeping bags should be light weight but more importantly is the warmth. I have seen a lot of scouts keep going back out on camping trips with a bag that is to heavy but very few that would go back with after freezing at night.

You didn't ask but I will pass along some other ideas on equipment that has worked well for me and the scouts that I have worked with.

3. Eating gear; Usually the boy will want a plate, bowl, cup, knife, fork, and spoon. All that they really need is a bowl, spoon and a wide mouthed water bottle. On the water bottle I prefer the ones with measurements on the side. I like to make the no bake cheese cakes while on the trail.

4. Attaching things to the pack; Do not use bungees. I have carried so many sleeping bags that have fallen off of backpacks that were attached with bungees that I have begun to hate bungees. Use rope or twine or the very best are straps.

5. Tents; I am not sure if your troop will supply this or not, but get a dome tent that will sleep 3 to 4 people. Make sure it has a tub bottom and a good rain fly.

I would suggest that you find a good sporting goods store, and ask the camping manager for any advice. I have used Sportsmans Warehouse, REI, and several local stores. I usually ask them if they can give a class to my eleven year old scouts and their parents.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Stan

Wow! Thanks Stan, Andy and Eel. Carl...let's keep the budget as tight as possible, huh? lol Andy--what do you think, a 20 degree bag or a 0 degree bag? And how much should the bag weigh?

LAST EDITED ON May-23-09 AT 12:01PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-23-09 AT 11:19?AM (MST)

Exciting!
Don't bust the bank to get started with a back pack,
boy's grow!!!!He will out grow the first one!!
find out if he enjoys backpacking then upgrade.
might check out the DI or call the ones in SLC.
if you buy new look at a ladies or youth model to start.
Scouting is big in Utah, but it's not for all boy's some parents go overboard on gear. Then dump it at the DI.

As noted earlier get a pack that fits him and a belt to spread the weight out on his hips.

A bag (same ladies or youth) and look into a light summer bag with a medium bag that would work as a shell if possible.
I have always liked two bag systems, they don't even have to be a "kit" just a good outer to start and then a great inner bag if he realy likes camping/backbacking he can just use the medium weight all summer and double up for winter stuff.

11 year olds don't get far from the truck useally.

Just remember thier "boy's" in my troop "SEVERAL" years ago we had boy's leave thier tent or bags because they got tiered of carrying it! LOL They burnt holes in them, ate candy, wore their shoes and dirty clotes to bed, you name it. It happens at camp!

It's better to start out "cheap" and up grade as they grow.
But not "cheap" in quality if possible.

Put a ad in the paper there has to be a unused pack in every basement in Vernal. LOL

Good luck
Cam

Edited to add check out KSL.com also

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=6535023&cat=&lpid=2

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=6521078&cat=&lpid=3

just examples

Edit once more!
Even have an old Backpack in my basement you can have!
just let me know

Cam

TTK, try to get a bag in the 4-6 lb. range for backpacking.

If I was a Scout leader......I would make the first trip about 3 miles in and 3 miles out for the first trip. Fairly easy terrain. I would take plenty of rest stops along the way, and stay a maximum of three nights. Make it a learning experience but yet not so hard that it's not fun.

Don't get too carried away with the finer details of equipment at this point. At 11, there should be room in his pack for Gummy Bears and Easy Mac.:)

Wish I could go!

Eel

I like the external's as well, but for growing kids I'd recommend an internal frame with adjustable yoke. My biggest problem with any pack is my short torso, most of them are too long and can be miserable when they don't hit your hips just right.

I bought a Lowe Alpine and will never go back now!!

I also bought a rated bag, and there are even some, like Sierra Designs that have 'systems' that allow one to remove a layer in warmer weather. I would imagine that in Scouts, he'll probably just be doing summer stuff, so a light bag would be in order.

Pred

Thanks TTK.... brings back some memories.

Honestly when I did the scout thing at 11 you used whatever sleeping bag was in the garage.

You hauled all your "possibles" in a pillow cover that your mom was going to throw away anyhow.

Food consisted of "tin foil dinners" & twinkies period!

I feel really bad for all the little kids I see walking down the street going to school with a backpack bigger than they are.

I bet Karter will have a blast regardless if he has all the trendy stuff or not.

RUS

Oh I'm definitely not going trendy and I'm not going too money either. (Although I do have 2 other boys coming up who will use his stuff so I could get better stuff to start out with) But, he'll definitely use it a lot. He loves camping, hunting, hiking and going on these scout camps.

He thoroughly enjoyed his first 3 mile hike (w/out a pack though) and I know he'll love every minute of every other hike and backpacking trip he goes on. And he'll be the kid in the mountains w/his buddies every weekend as soon as he's old enough anyway. He's got an awesome scout leader now who's taken many kids backpacking and on horse trips up in the high country so his next few years of scouting will be full of adventures and I'm quite certain he'll always be game.

I think that they would be great with the 20 degree bag. Thats what I'm using and havnt had any problems yet. There is a lot of good advice given so far.
One other very important thing is the fit of the pack. I keep hitting REI but Cabelas also does a good job too. They can teach you how to adjust and fit the pack to the person. I've packed a few bags and at first I didnt know what I was doing. It wasnt all that comfortable. I cant tell you what a difference a properly adjusted pack makes. When you set it up right it makes packing a ton easier.

LAST EDITED ON May-25-09 AT 10:55AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-25-09 AT 10:46?AM (MST)

aaaah scouts! I remember my first and last trip into the Uintas as a scout. :-(

My first and last backpack trip went like this. Dad didn't know crap about camping so he found me a canvas backpack "10 lbs" and canvas tent with wood poles"10 lbs?. I had a pos of a sleeping bag made out of cotton "at least 10 lbs" food for 3 to 5 days " over 5 lbs" mom didn't want me to get cold so she put three pairs of pants and shirts, had three pair of wool socks, "weight 5 or more lbs". Utensils included a steel pot, steel fork, and knife.:-(
My stove was a homemade "light weight?" 1 gallon can with holes punched around the top, the fuel was a tuna cans with cardboard and wax:-(

The whole pack had to have weighed over 60lbs I weighed less than 60 lbs.:-( we hiked for what seemed like days.:'( The weather was horrible and rained almost every day.:'( It even snowed one day. My tent and sleeping bag gained about 30 lbs when it soaked up the mud and water.}>

The other scouts thought it would be funny to pull my tent pegs out so it would collapse on me one night. Ha Ha Ha}>

The next night one prick cracked an egg on my face so I woke up with sheit all over my face. Ha Ha Ha}>

I got the sheits so bad I think I resulted in using my scratchy wool socks for toilet paper which gave me chafe butt.:-(

If I didn't think I would have gotten my but kicked I would have made a bon fire with all my wet heavy crap and dried the clothes I had on, then just hiked out easy with only my water bottle.:D but I didnt :'(

My final scouting activity was a trip down the green river which ended up with the older boys wiping buggers on me through the cab over camper window x( which resulted in me filleting one of them with my brand new fillet knife. Ha Ha Ha :D

I loved the idea of scouts, camping, and fishing, but the whole experience for me was horriable. I hated scouts!!!:'(

Scott, I'm still laughing about that one. It reminded me of a camp over at strawberry where it suddenly snowed about 16 inches.........or the time when we parked over the grand canyon and the boat fell out of the back of the truck.

Funny chit

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom