Back Pack help ?

BIGJOHNT

Long Time Member
Back Pack help ?

This weekend i was hiking with my old Crooked Horn guide series back pack. When we got back down the mountain my back was soaking wet. I guess its time to retire the old girl.
Thats where I need a little help from you guys. My son has a Badlands 4500 and I have packed a quater of a elk out with it. He did end up sending it back to get the frame fixed and a few zippers. All covered under warranty. My daughter has the new Kali from Badlands and a friend this weekend had the Sacifice. Both with the new hypervent system on it. Looked pretty cool and yes kept there backs dry.
My other son has a Eberlestock dragonfly. I like the zip in meat bag and the gun boot .The whole pack in light go out heavy concept.
Crooked horn has there new High country extreme 2 pack . Dont no much about there new packs ?
Then I have been hearing about Mystery ranch packs but I have never seen one. Who makes the best packs out now and why do you think they are the best ?

RE: Back Pack help ?

The Badlands vent system is what it professes to be. I don't know that they are any better or worse than other brands. I expect that will vary from individual to individual, but they do fit well, carry a load well and keep the back drier and cooler.

Take a long, hard look at the KUIU Icon. These packs are amazing. Very lightweight and durable, and they have tons of storage. Range in sizes from 3000 ci up to 7000 ci. I personally have the 6000 and love it. They are pricey, but very worth it in my opinion. My brother and several friends also have this pack and everyone has nothing but good things to say about it. One of the nicest features, I think, is the ability to cinch everything down tight to your back. Even used as a daypack, my 6000 looks no bigger than most 2000ci packs. It has lashing straps all over the place to secure the load, plus compartments everywhere including an internal meat compartment. Check them out.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-12 AT 12:28PM (MST)[p]Save yourself some heart ache and get a Kuiu Icon. Carbon fiber frame, light weight, durable, load lifters, quarter bags attatched inside pack to secure it to the frame for support and comfort, good camo colors as well as new solid colors, oversized hip belt for comfort. I packed out 2 elk quarters bone in, my 12 lb rifle, 3 magsx4 rounds each, water, food, extra socks, range finder, essentials, ect. Total weight was over 100lbs. I walked out upright without walking sticks 3 miles with zero back pain. Everyone else was in hell. 3 eberlestocks, 1 kifaru, 1 Mystery Ranch and one badlands were on the backs of the others. They failed packing the loads correctly and the other hunters were not happy. All were carrying 2 quarters each plus rifles and essentials.
I have owned Misery Ranch (way too heavy), Eberlestocks (poor quality control/3 out of 4 failed) Kifaru (problematic hip belts that dig into your hips)

tumblr_lxlhwgKiQO1qih725o1_500.jpg

The guy in front had the Kifaru pack. Thats me with the Kuiu Icon 3000

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-12 AT 12:29PM (MST)[p]I personally wouldn't use any of the packs you mentioned except the mystery ranch, which I own but required a 6" frame extension to get it to fit. badlands are notorious for zipper problems and none but the 2200 and 4500 have functional lifters.

It all comes down to what you are going to do with the pack. If you're packing sandwiches and water most anything will work. If you're packing all your gear and a hind quarter I would get a pack that has a decent frame and working lifters. Unfortunately, those packs are bigger, heavier, and a lot more money.
I want one pack to do everything so I went with a crew cab a few years ago, and as mentioned, needed to extend the frame by 6". I wouldn't buy another one. If I was doing it again, I would only look at 2, the Kifaru or 2012 KUIU. Again, it depends on what you're doing with it.

I have Mystery Ranch. They are heavier but they are built like a tank. You won't have issues with them falling apart. They handle heavy loads awesome.

Dreamin, I don't see a rifle and two quarters in your KUIU? Doesn't look to be any where near 100lbs load?
I love KUIU but if you are looking to haul heavy loads MR is the way to go.

Traditional >>>------->

You dont huh? Look again. The rifle is on my left with the butt of the stock floded stuck into the water bottle holder and the two quarters are down inside the pack where they are supposed to be with the legs sticking out behind my head. I have a surgeon rifle stock. Its got a collapsible stock.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-12 AT 12:54PM (MST)[p]BTW, just because it doesnt look like the guys pack in front, hanging all over the place and uncomfortable doesnt mean it wasnt loaded down like i said.
What I say is what it is. Im not fabricating a dam thing. Last time I checked, you weren't there lugging out the elk.

Also, have you ever used an Icon pack? No, you say.. huh. Kinda hard to compare packs if you've never used one isnt it. How can you say the MR is better than the Icon if you have never compared them out in the hills at work?

Dreamin why would you pack out bone, do you make soup with them? Maybe knife handles? just curious.

Rules stated we had to. It was part of the deal hunting where we did. We were on a depredation hunt. Believe you me, i would have loved to bone those quarters out. The weight wouldnt have been so bad if we could have. Had fun though.

Oh ok that makes sense. Congrats, looks like you had a real good hunt.

+1 on Kifaru. Had ours for years with zero problems. Good venting to keep your back dry. Platypus hydration system, which is the best for taste and durability. Totally comfortable carrying a load. Made to your measurements. The gunbearer system is the best hands down. Your rifle is immediately accessible, doesn't get tangled up going through alder thickets and doesn't bang you in the back of the head. The downside is they are pricey and take about 6 weeks for delivery.

We sure did. It was an awesome hunt. Brutal at times, but a wicked 4 days. Best Thanksgiving I've ever had :)

Dreamin, those were questions not statements! Chill out. I asked a couple questions based on your pics.
Good for you and your KUIU, I'm glad it works for you. I love their products. I simply gave my opinion on MR.

Traditional >>>------->

We (ireviewgear.com) have used and used and used LOTS of packs.

We have used and tested every pack mentioned above.
My top picks would be:

-Kifaru
-Mystery Ranch

Honorable Mentions:
-Crooked Horn Extreme
-BadLands 4500
-Outdoorsman.

FYI, do not get locked into a HUNTING pack.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-12 AT 06:14PM (MST)[p]>We (ireviewgear.com) have used and used
>and used LOTS of packs.
>
>
>We have used and tested every
>pack mentioned above.
>My top picks would be:
>
>-Kifaru
>-Mystery Ranch
>
>Honorable Mentions:
>-Crooked Horn Extreme
>-BadLands 4500
>-Outdoorsman.
>
>FYI, do not get locked into
>a HUNTING pack.

http://blog.kuiu.com/2012/08/02/petersens-hunting-editors-choice-award/

Haha funny, many dont share your sediment. Guess opinions are like they say.
OP, you welcome to try out my pack if your ever up this way. Best way to know is to look at them. Kuiu has a 100% money back guarantee as long as its returned unused.

I got on your site. I'm curious, why do you not have a review for the Icon? And how can you rate the other packs higher if you havent used one?
I'm just trying to figure this out. Thats like saying one brand isnt any good even though you've never used it or know nothing about it.
How can you rate something you havent used? Please explain that to me. It not that i'm so hard core Kuiu that im against every other brand, but come on.
At least say, 'i've never used it so i cant rate it, however, i have used these other packs and i rate them as follows.'??? Or something to that effect.

Kuiu has a
>100% money back guarantee as
>long as its returned unused.
>

Great; however, most failures happen during use.

Thanks guys some good info here !! Keep it coming. I have never heard of the Kuiu Icon until today. Sounds like a great pack.
Thanks for the other comments, learning alot. Doing my research on the net as you post up info

> Kuiu has a
>>100% money back guarantee as
>>long as its returned unused.
>>
>
>Great; however, most failures happen during
>use.

I think they will take them back if they fail as well and do repair work. I havent had to utilize that service.

We had a Sheep Guide that used the Icon for a season.
we just have not posted the review yet.
There are many great options out there.
I was just sharing our experience. KUIU is an innovative company with OUTSTANDING products.

I really like my crew cab, but if you are looking for a pack to keep your back from sweating then it probably isn't the one for you. However, if your looking for a pack that is a perfect day pack size but can turn into a meat hauling machine then I would say look at this one pretty hard. The one thing I will say about the Kuiu is that it wouldn't adjust short enough for my torso, they might have changed that with the new frame though. If I was buying a new pack I'd also be looking at the duplex timberline from kifaru.

>I really like my crew cab,
>but if you are looking
>for a pack to keep
>your back from sweating then
>it probably isn't the one
>for you. However, if your
>looking for a pack that
>is a perfect day pack
>size but can turn into
>a meat hauling machine then
>I would say look at
>this one pretty hard. The
>one thing I will say
>about the Kuiu is that
>it wouldn't adjust short enough
>for my torso, they might
>have changed that with the
>new frame though. If I
>was buying a new pack
>I'd also be looking at
>the duplex timberline from kifaru.
>

They did address the Torso issue with the new 2012 frames. I would say anyone shorter than 5'8 may or may not have a torso issue with the 2011 frames. Depends on body structure. Thanks for your input.

What is the diiferenca between the Kifaru and the Kuiu ? They are made by the same company, right ?

"Waiting for the Kifaru, ships next week!!"

Good choice, I have been hunting and packing game with my spike camp for the last 6 years and love it..... Terry

I've used a ton of packs, returned a ton of packs, sold a ton of packs and my number one pick by far is the mystery ranch dragons layer with a mystery ranch load sling waiting in the truck after my first haul out. First haul is all my gear, tripod, scope, rifle, clothing, food, etc and one quarter. After that the load sling does the rest...it's the ultimate meat hauler.

Disclaimer: I have never used the Icon, touched an Icon, seen an Icon, or paid money for an Icon. I don't need to.

>What is the diiferenca between the
>Kifaru and the Kuiu ?
>They are made by the
>same company, right ?

No, no. Kuiu is its own company. Jason Hairston the original owner of Sitka statted up Kuiu just 2 yrs ago and sell strictly on their website.

I have owned and used several Eberlestock packs. I have not had a bad one yet. Packed man y deer and elk with my J107. I love it. You can pack for 3-4 day hunt and keep it sinched pretty small and then if you kill you can open her up and pack some meat. I prefer to pack meat with my frame pack (its what it is made for) but the as far as an all around pack, the 107 has been good to me, for sheds, meat, and the other 50 days I use it while chasing cats, or hunting in general. You can land them for $225 in Tremonton.

http://www.livinthedream-rusty.blogspot.com/

What better way to hear about Kifaru than to watch Patrick Smith, the owner and inventor of their unique products, explain them in person?

Patrick started out making technical mountaineering gear but was disappointed with what was available to the hunting community and Kifaru was born. He has developed all kinds of technical hunting gear for ultralight backpack hunting from tents to stoves to rifles. Back in the day when I was looking at backpacks, he sent out a video that included a segment of a guy carrying his 120 lb girlfriend on his loaded backpack and another guy with a giant propane cylinder.

I have heard great things about Kifaru. My buddy had a mystery ranch and I can't tell you which pack it was, but that thing was way too noisy. I couldn't stand to walk by him. I just sold all badlands packs I own, as they kept breaking somewhere. Badlands is very good about replacing broken stuff, but it does break. I just bought the Eberlestock X2 and the Blue Widow. I LOVE both of them so far. I will use the X2 for day hunts and the bluewidow for overnight or extended or packing meat out. This thread is great information. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for all of the good input ! This is what I was thinking. That maybe this year i would buy the badlands sacrafice . To pack sandwiches and water bottles and pick up a Kuiu icon later.Icon looks like a great pack their web site was a great help. But a few of you said you Kuiu packs when collapsed are no bigger then a 2000 sg inch pack. So that being the case . Which Kuiu icon the 3000 or 6000. It looks like from their web site that the 6000 has the bigger bag on top . You can use it when you need it. So maybe the 6000 icon is the way to go ? The other problem is they are backed up on orders and I may not be able to get one before the hunts start ?
So have I missed anything ?
Thanks John

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom