Back in the day

DeerMadness

Long Time Member
When they used the gears for sure. From Western side of Washington State.
20220324_183424.jpg

Those old pictures are so cool to see. I have some old pics of trucks my dad had from that era. Amazing how things have evolved.

As a Utah kid, my FAVORITE trip is when me and the Mrs ride up the coast to Washington.

Blows my mind the size of the trees.

We were talking about that last year as we drove out of PDX, how that country, with massive timber, huge rivers, etc, that real men hacked a living in, produced the next generation of Portland "men".

Not to change the subject, but I got in on the last of the old growth redwood logging. I've seen hundreds of them hit the ground. When they fall, there is a very distinct sound and the ground shakes almost like an earthquake if you're standing close.

Anyhow, last summer they were logging across the road from our house and they fell a big tree. I was in the house and I heard it start to fall and it shook the house when it hit the ground. I had a flashback, almost like PTSD....lol.

One of the few photos I took back in the day. This was just an average sized tree.

img867.jpg

That’s definitely the definition of: A picture is worth a thousand words. I wish I could have enjoyed that experience for at least one day.

The last time I hunted in the Selway Bitterroot, my outfitter buddy set us up a camp amid a forest of giant red cedar trees. I guessed a few that were 10-12' or more in diameter. Although it wasn't completely dark, the sun didn't get through in very many places. Like many others, the photos are on a broke computer.

This is kind of like the area we hunted for 10 days. Most of the trees were like the biggest but more widely spaced.

redcedars.png

Last edited:
There are some stumps in the Redwoods by Crescent City that are a huge. My son and daughter and I all three went tip to tip on our fingers reaching out and we didn't come close to the edges of the stump.
I believe there a 15-17 footer in the little grove before Shelter Cove. You seen that one Eel it's frickin huge

This stump is about 15 miles from our house. Eric Hollenbeck has a slab off the tree here in Eureka. We were in high school together and graduated the same year. There's quite a story about it in this link.

fieldbrook-stump-ericson-collection-humboldt-state-university-2.jpg

This stump is about 15 miles from our house. Eric Hollenbeck has a slab off the tree here in Eureka. We were in high school together and graduated the same year. There's quite a story about it in this link.

View attachment 72494
I think this makes Eelgrass the king of huge stumps.

View attachment 72494
Unbelievable that is crazy.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom