Back from the dead. CAL is going to Omaha!!!!

CAelknuts

The University of California Golden Bears, who were facing a cut to their baseball program only a few short months ago, are going to the College World Series in Omaha! Cal defeated Dallas Baptist 6-2 tonight, following last night's 7-0 victory, to clinch one of the 8 slots on the College World Series. This will be Cal's first appearance in Omaha since 1992.

And the Chancelllor was going to eliminate their baseball program (the oldest college baseball program in the nation, dating back to 1894) as recently as 2 months ago.

GO BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Longhorns made it too! There are some great teams - how about FSU's romp over A&M?? It is always good to see the Aggies get beat badly. Hope they saved some runs for today though.

Going to be a great series - wish I were Omaha bound!!

HOOK 'EM!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

YOU SAID IT......GREAT TIME OF THE YEAR/ LOVE THE CWS...... BEEN TO OMAHA/ROSENBLATT (SP) STADIUM TWICE......COOL VENUE. OUR FRESNO STATE BULLDOGS CAME UP LUCKY A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO............................YD.

Roy, I was surprised to see A&M get the final win after the way they were beat in that previous game, which was a football score.

Cal gets #1 national seed, Virginia, in their opening game on Saturday. It'll be a tough test, and interesting to see how it turns out. I'm pulling for Cal, but definitely want to see Kyle Porter do well. I coached that kid for 3 summers before he headed off to college, and he's had an outstanding first year, making freshman All-American. He shoved it on Baylor in the regionals, pitching 6 2/3 scorelss in an elimination game. I'm hoping he can build on his great season and have a good CWS.

Virginia is going to be tough, but with everything that Cal has overcome this year, I wouldn't bet against the Golden Bears.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-14-11 AT 09:05AM (MST)[p]Yeah - that was a thumping that FSU gave them - but they started a true freshman 5th in the rotation sometimes starter/sometimes reliever in that game and left him in for most of it. But they saved their ace Wacha for last night - he just wasn't available because he had to pull them out of a jam in the regionals. He was ready to go yesterday and when he pitches they are a better team behind him.

I watched almost all of the Virginia / Irvine game on ESPN3 while I was doing some research at the library. I got to see it until the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs and the bases loaded - then the dang library closed and I had to book it home. So yeah - I missed the walk off single just two pitches later!!

Congrats to UVa though - they are a great team - so good luck to Cal. I hope they make it far and convice the liberal Berkley pukes Board of Regents that they made a bad bad decision.

The Horns open up against Florida - they are a scary team too. I just love the competition at this level. It is the last time that most of these guys are still just kids playing ball. It is fun to watch.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom